HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:00 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,455 Posts
In stock or out of stock depends on brand and size.

The Aeronaut 9x7 and 9x5 are in stock. Aeronaut have 8mm shoulders.

The Graupner 9x6 ( 8mm shoulder ) is out of stock.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:23 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser01 View Post
In stock or out of stock depends on brand and size.

The Aeronaut 9x7 and 9x5 are in stock. Aeronaut have 8mm shoulders.

The Graupner 9x6 ( 8mm shoulder ) is out of stock.
True....but most are looking for the 10x8....thats out of stock everywhere Ive looked.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jun 13, 2011, 05:36 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,455 Posts
Ohhhh, ok. Yep, the Graupner 10x8 are oos. The Aeronaut 10x8 are in stock, but if his spinner is not an 8mm shoulder then he is SOL. I distrust the stock props so some time back, I splurged for the Aeroanut 10x8 folders and the 50x4x8 mm turbo spinner. Too many stories of the stock PZ props coming undone. http://www.espritmodel.com/index.asp...OD&ProdID=3661

What I found with Esprite is that they have props/spinners in stock for only a very short period of time. So, when I find them in stock, I stock up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:40 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Nice flyin Brook!
The cars were surely shrinking for a while there.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 13, 2011, 06:47 PM
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Feb 2010
429 Posts
I ordered a couple of gaupner 10x8's from gravesrc.com and they just happened to have 2 left in stock when i placed my order
paintballer987 is offline Find More Posts by paintballer987
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:46 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
My 45 second burns are getting me less and less altitude. It seems I was getting 700+ feet when the plane was new, and now I'm getting less than 500 feet.
Three possibilities come to mind, and it could be a combination.
1. The motor is getting tired.
2. The batteries are getting tired.
3. The warmer air and higher humidity of summer is generating less lift (density altitude).
I am running the stock prop, third replacement.
Does anyone know what the expected life of the stock battery is, because that is my first suspect. I am using the cheap charger that came with the plane. I already replaced one of my three battery packs because it was leaking and puffed up. When I did, the new battery gave me noticably more power. That's why I suspect it's the batteries. If they wear out that quickly (5 monhs of flying each battery once nearly every weekend=20 recharges per battery) 20 recharges does not seem like enough.
I'm not looking to hotline the plane, just a consistent climb to a decent thermal-seeking altitude.
Any suggestions?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:54 PM
Czech Republic, Prague
Joined Feb 2010
429 Posts
I use Hyperion 2100mah 3s 25c batteries and they are small enough that they are not super tight in the battery tray and balance perfect.
paintballer987 is offline Find More Posts by paintballer987
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:07 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,455 Posts
Your batteries are probably going weak on you.

I can vouch for the Hyperion line of lipo batteries. I have some that are 2 years old and going strong. I have Polyquest lipos that are 4 years old and still going strong. Gotta treat them with love.

You don't mention your battery brand or the motor/prop combination but if you are buying inexpensive Chinese batteries, don't sweat it and just buy more batteries.

However, even then, it is still a good idea to invest in a Watt meter or some brand there of. This will help you to understand what your motor/prop combination needs are.

Getting a small battery voltage checker is a good idea also as you can read the battery after each flight and chech each cell. A good one I have been using is from Hyperion.

The EOS Sentry.

http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-eos-s...er-p-5701.html

An investment in a good lipo charger such as from Progressive RC is a good idea also. http://www.progressiverc.com/ The chargers included with these RTF kits are not the best and I simply will not use one of those to charge my lipos.

Also, set your ESC to 3 cell cutoff voltage and not the default %74. It is very easy to over fly the battery with the default voltage setting and that leads to reduced battery life.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 09:37 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I have the stock batteries, they are Parkzone 11.1v 1300 ma 15c continuous discharge 20c burst.
The stock charger that came with the plane will probably not work with different batteries, So I guess I should get a good charger.

I'm not really interested in changing the prop or motor.

I need a charger that will work with different batteries and preferably one that is idiot proof....as in automatic.

I will probably buy the charger and one new battery at first, but I will want a charger capable of charging many different types of batteries. Will look at the progressive charger.

Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:30 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Yep, if you want an idiot proof charger, I would get the FMA CellPro 4S. I have one and it's worked great, I just upgraded to an iCharger because I wanted to Parallel charge with the Para Board since I have a lot of batteries I take to a flying session.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:34 PM
Jefferson City, MO, USA
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
My 45 second burns are getting me less and less altitude. It seems I was getting 700+ feet when the plane was new, and now I'm getting less than 500 feet.
Three possibilities come to mind, and it could be a combination.
1. The motor is getting tired.
2. The batteries are getting tired.
3. The warmer air and higher humidity of summer is generating less lift (density altitude).
I am running the stock prop, third replacement.
Does anyone know what the expected life of the stock battery is, because that is my first suspect. I am using the cheap charger that came with the plane. I already replaced one of my three battery packs because it was leaking and puffed up. When I did, the new battery gave me noticably more power. That's why I suspect it's the batteries. If they wear out that quickly (5 monhs of flying each battery once nearly every weekend=20 recharges per battery) 20 recharges does not seem like enough.
I'm not looking to hotline the plane, just a consistent climb to a decent thermal-seeking altitude.
Any suggestions?
I think the motor getting tired is unlikely. A brushless motor shouldn't wear out electrically. The bearings might wear out, but I'd think you should hear some indication of that. You might also try checking for bearing looseness.

I have not had good success with the stock chargers in Parkzone kits. I now use exclusively a Hyperion EOS0606i AC/DC which will charge AND balance 2-cell through 6-cell LiPOs. It also has a STORE function for putting the batteries in a partially discharged state for long-term storage. Very convenient and user-friendly with good display.

Density altitude is definitely a factor as air density is inversely proportional to BOTH temperature and humidity. Seems counter-intuitive but dry air IS MORE dense than moist air. My gut feeling is that the differences you're seeing cannot be totally be explained by density altitude differences.

My best guess would be a battery issue. You might try one new one and see if it makes a difference. I haven't had my RP that long and I have 4 batteries so I only have about 10 cycles on each one. They all seem to act as new and they are the stock Parkzone batteries.

Please let us know what you find out.
Bill in MO
billgerth is offline Find More Posts by billgerth
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:38 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
Yep, if you want an idiot proof charger, I would get the FMA CellPro 4S. I have one and it's worked great, I just upgraded to an iCharger because I wanted to Parallel charge with the Para Board since I have a lot of batteries I take to a flying session.
I am using an iCharger 106B+, been real happy with it for several years now. Which iCharger are you using now?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2011, 10:50 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I need a charger that will work with different batteries and preferably one that is idiot proof....as in automatic.

Most battery chargers now days are pretty idiot proof. Usually. The iCharger and the various brands like it tend to auto sense the cell count/voltage of the lipo. This is good as most, or so it seems, fires from lipos on a charge occured because a too high voltage was manually set or not corrected for the battery being charged. Poof! Nasty smoke, turmoil, fire and usually an irritated significant other. The iCharger is also firmware upgradeable which is a plus as far as features go.

Hyperion makes a very good line of chargers, I have one of ther older EOS models. It still is going strong.

When selecting a charger, make sure it will plug into your AC wall outlet and also have the ability to be plugged to a 12VDC power source ( field charging ).

Since you are starting anew into the battery arena, it is a good idea to settle on one brand of battery or a several brands that all have the same style balance tap connector. As an example, ThunderPower and Hyperion/PolyQuest each use a different balance tap.

Now, not a real big deal, you can mix tap types, just know that you will need to have an adapter board for each tap type. The adapter boards usually are 10 dollars or less, depending on brand/retailer.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:01 AM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
39 Posts
I use a Thunder Power TP 610C - AC/DC charger and I really like it. I have over 90 cycles on my Tenergy 3S - 2100mah 35C, as well as an Eflite 3S - 2100mah. I use these batteries on my Stryker as well as my Radian Pro and my Mulitplex Cularis, and they still seem to pull great. I do make it a habit to land before my cutoff is reached. I've had other batteries get "deep sixed" because of an old charger that I would use a "Blinky" with...they were not getting balanced properly and the cells would get damaged from dropping to low.

Next to a good transmitter, a good charger is a necessity.
rcmarky is offline Find More Posts by rcmarky
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:21 AM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser01 View Post
I am using an iCharger 106B+, been real happy with it for several years now. Which iCharger are you using now?
208b - I'm happy with it so far, but could have bought the 306 for the same price at the time I bought it. Oh well! Works great with the para board for parallel charging.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort