Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:29 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelantic_Nomad View Post
Hay Radian Pro Flyers!

I just recently maidened my Radian Pro with the GoPro Hero! It flew really great! Except for the left wing stall on a few take offs! check out my videos on youtube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/IcelanticNomad?feature=mhee
Nice flying Nomad!! And curious, for me, on my maiden voyage (as with most of my hand launches) when I'm at 3/4 or full throttle the Radian Pro has a steep angle of attack on climb out. Is it the weight of your GoPro that keeps the nose "low" on climb out or is that you with stick down input? Just wondering, but nice video! Looks like I may have to go with the GoPro 'cause I'm really liking the video I see from it. And yours is the second 960 vid I've seen on this forum. How did you mount it on the top of the fuselage? Anything special you placed on the fuse to place it flat? Thanks
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2011, 12:31 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wolf View Post
Did the maiden flight on my new Radian Pro this morning. Everything went off without a hitch.
Congrats and glad to hear all went well! It only gets better! I'm ALWAYS keeping an eye out for the hawks when I'm flying!! They help me find the thermals as well as stay in 'em!
rcoconut is online now Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jun 09, 2011, 03:39 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,439 Posts
Would someone post a link to the June contest thread? I guess I don't know how to search for it. Thanks
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Jun 09, 2011, 04:50 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecase View Post
Would someone post a link to the June contest thread? I guess I don't know how to search for it. Thanks
The monthly contest is a sticky thread at the top of the electric sailplane forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1448597
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:27 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I think I may have actually found some lift today! Took the RP out this afternoon, and late in the first flight I started following a pair of eagles who were soaring near the hill behind the field. I don't think it was a TON of lift as the plane didn't rocket up or anything, but there were definitely several minutes of flying where I definitely wasn't losing any altitude. I broke away as they moved closer to the ridge of the hill, as I didn't want to fly over it and possibly lose sight of the plane. I wasn't timing the flight so I don't know how long it was, but it felt like one of the longer flights I've had.

The field is artificial turf with a lot of ground up black rubber bits, so the field puts out a lot of head, and I think it probably generates some thermal activity, just until now I hadn't been able to find it.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:43 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jan 2007
6,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
I think I may have actually found some lift today! Took the RP out this afternoon, and late in the first flight I started following a pair of eagles who were soaring near the hill behind the field. I don't think it was a TON of lift as the plane didn't rocket up or anything, but there were definitely several minutes of flying where I definitely wasn't losing any altitude. I broke away as they moved closer to the ridge of the hill, as I didn't want to fly over it and possibly lose sight of the plane. I wasn't timing the flight so I don't know how long it was, but it felt like one of the longer flights I've had.

The field is artificial turf with a lot of ground up black rubber bits, so the field puts out a lot of head, and I think it probably generates some thermal activity, just until now I hadn't been able to find it.
Yeah if eagles were soaring there you were probably getting up drafts off the hill. Watch them eagles though...they have been known to take down a glider.
GoldCraft is online now Find More Posts by GoldCraft
Old Jun 09, 2011, 09:38 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Yeah it made me a bit nervous if I thought I was getting to close!
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:06 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post

I'll bet you did find a thermal.

Watching raptors will surely help you recognize when and where there are thermals. They are the experts. I think some of the time they are playing in the thermals for sport, just like us. Other times they are conserving energy while hunting.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 09, 2011, 11:24 PM
Caldwell, Idaho
Joined Nov 2007
48 Posts
I just had my propeller explode. Has anyone else had this happen? I was not even going that fast or flying that rough. I've never crashed it had no damage to the prop. Is this something that just happens?

t0ny-p40 is offline Find More Posts by t0ny-p40
Old Jun 10, 2011, 12:32 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0ny-p40 View Post
I just had my propeller explode. Has anyone else had this happen? I was not even going that fast or flying that rough. I've never crashed it had no damage to the prop. Is this something that just happens?
The first run of Pros has faulty props. Contact Hobby Zone and tell them what happened.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:05 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,131 Posts
Quote:

Also always inspect the prop mounts from time to time, I have caught cracks developing and replaced the prop prior to what surely would have been an explosin as you said.

Be sure to balance the prop assembly as well. When you run it up it should feel pretty smooth, if you feel excesive vibration holding the plane it's a sure sign you need balancing.

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Jun 10, 2011, 01:16 PM
United States, CO, Monument
Joined May 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Nice flying Nomad!! And curious, for me, on my maiden voyage (as with most of my hand launches) when I'm at 3/4 or full throttle the Radian Pro has a steep angle of attack on climb out. Is it the weight of your GoPro that keeps the nose "low" on climb out or is that you with stick down input? Just wondering, but nice video! Looks like I may have to go with the GoPro 'cause I'm really liking the video I see from it. And yours is the second 960 vid I've seen on this forum. How did you mount it on the top of the fuselage? Anything special you placed on the fuse to place it flat? Thanks
Yeah it was just my stick input. because there have been a few times where the left wing i believe stalls from my hand launch and does a quick 180 in the other direction! so i keep it noes down on climb out. I actually have a video of the stall and ALMOST crash! lol ill put that up in youtube, also here are a few pics of my mount. I just took some of the left over foam from the box, used paper to kinda trace out the arc of the fusalage, and just cut it out with an exacto knife. And the pen marks are just how i found the CG and placed the camera right over top if it. Also just for securtiy i put a big rubber band around the camera and stretch it over the nose, just for a back up. And i just used a ton of super gold+ putting the flat foam piece and on the GoPro Mount. Ive seen another guy set up and he just used the flat piece that the GoPro comes mounted on in the box and just used bungee cords to strap it on. Its more of a non-perminant set up, but i like mine... It would be great to see what you decide on!
Icelantic_Nomad is offline Find More Posts by Icelantic_Nomad
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:10 PM
Caldwell, Idaho
Joined Nov 2007
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
The first run of Pros has faulty props. Contact Hobby Zone and tell them what happened.
What do I tell them exactly? Every time I've dealt with support its pretty much you flown it then it is your fault. The only thing I've got them to replace was the RX in my Micro P-51.
t0ny-p40 is offline Find More Posts by t0ny-p40
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:22 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,937 Posts
Quote:
What do I tell them exactly? Every time I've dealt with support its pretty much you flown it then it is your fault. The only thing I've got them to replace was the RX in my Micro P-51.
Tell them the prop broke. It's a known issue. Look back in this thread and you'll see.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Jun 10, 2011, 04:59 PM
Joined Apr 2005
997 Posts
Tony; I found a crack in the TE root of one of the blades on my Pro. It appears it could have let go at any time. It wasn't damaged by a strike so it seems this may be an inherent weakness. The blades have 300+ launches so far so I'll chalk it up to stress, but in your case a call to HH would be worth it. They are VERY good about doing the right thing.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Last edited by roidspop; Jun 10, 2011 at 05:05 PM.