Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 16, 2011, 04:50 PM
United States, CA, Pasadena
Joined May 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recty View Post
I've read quite a few entries in this thread where people say they are using 8 channel radios or else the DX8 for the Radian Pro, I'm just wanting to make sure where the servo connections are plugged into on the receiver and if someone has it with all the following...

Flaps
Crow
Camber
Reflex
Flap/aileron working together for turns

I've got most of it working in my own custom setup but I cant quite get it. I've got enough channels it should work but I'm having a problem with the mixes I guess.
Recty,

I had the same issue as you are having. I couldn't get the file on Spektrum's site to work with my DX8 & RP. I tried several different servo/receiver combinations, and I just couldn't get it to work.

I downloaded Adrian A's custom file and set up my servos for that file, and it works beautifully. All I had to do was adjust the servos and everything seems to be working perfectly. I can't wait to have the maiden flight, but for now I am practicing with a simulator until I feel more confident.

As for Adrian A's setup, you can find a link to where to download it in his post #3792 back on page 253 of this thread.

I setup the servos to the RX as follows:

Right Aileron = AIL
Left Aileron = AUX1
Right Flap = AUX2
Left Flap = GEAR
Motor/ESC = THRO

and of course:

Elevator = ELEV
Rudder = RUDD

This setup allows Crow, full span Ailerons, etc. His video explains the setup. One thing I really like is that the throttle is preserved on the throttle joystick, but he set the throttle to have the 1st 25% of the joystick range to NOT activate the motor, so the motor is less likely to accidentally get bumped or pulsed "on."

BTW, thanks Adrian!
Nom de Guerre is offline Find More Posts by Nom de Guerre
to remove ads between posts
Old May 16, 2011, 10:31 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post
Not sure what you mean by dampened the fuse, but the rest makes sense...
Gorilla Glue(GG) sets and foams up more with Water on the other side to be glued together. It stays flexible, the more water and glue you use ,the more it foams up. So if oyu do use a lot, Within 5 mins you'll need to be watching it and every 2-3 mins wipe the excess form the joint. I like using a damp paper towel or something. For wetting the part to be glued and wiping excess. Set time is around 20 mins.
So if you wanting to fill a gap or something,Glue/wet it and tape it.the foam wet set perfect. Then peel tape.
Use no water and it well hardly foam at all,but set time well be longer.
There's 3 types of GG now. The brownish type ,great for wood etc.. and the White, great for foam. They also have another one out now.
Smaller type bottle,haven't tried it,but its supposed be pretty darn strong.

GG FTW
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; May 17, 2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old May 17, 2011, 02:21 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Gorilla Glue(GG) sets and foams up more with Water on the other side to be glued together. It stays flexible, the more water and glue you use ,the more it foams up. So if oyu do use a lot, Within 5 mins you'll need to be watching it and every 2-3 mins wipe the excess form the joint. I like using a damp paper towel or something.
OR let it set and cut off the extra glue with a sharp knive. That's what I do....
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old May 17, 2011, 03:15 AM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
782 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
OR let it set and cut off the extra glue with a sharp knive. That's what I do....
Or let it almost set (tacky to touch) and wipe the excess with mineral spirits.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old May 17, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined May 2011
127 Posts
Transmitter advice

Hi Guys

About to buy a Radian Pro and was wondering if I could use my old Sanwa RD6000 35m/h Transmitter/reciever.
If I could, would it be difficult to change the installed 2,4gh reciever, or any other problems that I might encounter.
Sorry for the basic questions, but I'm a bit of a newbie that has not flown a rc plane for many years.
Whilst I am ordering I would greatly appreciate any advice on any other bits I will need (extra battery, spare parts etc ).

Many thanks

Dan
DanInSpain is offline Find More Posts by DanInSpain
Old May 17, 2011, 10:46 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanInSpain View Post
Hi Guys

About to buy a Radian Pro and was wondering if I could use my old Sanwa RD6000 35m/h Transmitter/reciever.
If I could, would it be difficult to change the installed 2,4gh reciever, or any other problems that I might encounter.
Sorry for the basic questions, but I'm a bit of a newbie that has not flown a rc plane for many years.
Whilst I am ordering I would greatly appreciate any advice on any other bits I will need (extra battery, spare parts etc ).

Many thanks

Dan
I assume you are not in the US as the name SANWA and 35 MHz are not US items.

As long as the servo connectors will fit your 35 MHz receiver I would not expect you to have any problems switching over. Note that you may have a different channel assignment sequence on your Sanwa receiver as compred to the Spektrum receiver but you can work that out.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 17, 2011, 01:03 PM
Joined May 2011
35 Posts
Thanks, Nom, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'm at work so I can't test it right now but it looks just like what I wanted.

I also read through that thread some more and realized what I did wrong on my own setup, so I might not even need to download Adrian's setup for the Radian Pro but I'll do it anyway to look at it.
Recty is offline Find More Posts by Recty
Old May 17, 2011, 10:04 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Dec 2009
39 Posts
Hey Guys and Gals,
I posted some stuff back in Dec. 2010 and Jan 2011...(I think) and unfortunately my BNF Radian Pro was turned into a lawn dart due to a faulty elevator servo. I had my Gopro HD on it and caught the entire massacre. (YT - "777muzzy")

Anyways, I'm back with a new PNP Radian Pro because nobody likes a "quitter" and I really enjoyed what short time I had with this glider. I picked it up a month ago and changed out the elevator and rudder servos to the HS-85mg's to cover my backside so to avoid a repeat of last Christmas...(almost required therapy for those holidays). It flies great and thermals like nobody's business...actually had to bring it down a ways because it was a very strong thermal and it got tiny in a hurry. For "S's and Giggles" I also installed an old GWS gyro on the rudder for some yaw control and it works fine...especially on climb out and for the strong windy days...easily hands off to ride the wind for a break.

I enjoy this thing so much that I even picked up a Multipex Cularis and maidened it tonight. Completely different beast...not quite as relaxing as the Radian Pro, (not yet anyway) but still a hoot to fly. The tip stall characteristics were a bit unexpected but controllable unlike the Radian Pro that I find more predictable and forgiving.

I apologize if I jumped in on someones topic, but I wanted to get back into the forum to learn and share. I look forward (again) to communicating with you fine folks.

Mark B.
rcmarky is offline Find More Posts by rcmarky
Last edited by rcmarky; May 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:52 AM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
Hey guys, I have really enjoyed reading this thread and learning so much about the Radian Pro. I got a Radian Pro for Christmas this year, and Monday was the first chance I've had to get in a maiden. Finally! So I wanted to share some of my experiences I've had so far. I really like this plane a lot, but, between the weather and my inexperience with sailplanes, I've had a bit of a rough time so far. I'm currently on vacation from my job in Worcester, MA, and at my parents' house in upstate New York. Apparently, I picked the wrong week for this, as it's been pretty rainy so far, but I have managed to get in a few flights.

It's been interesting, some good experiences and some bad. This afternoon, I had the Radian Pro get away from me and come down out of site of my location. I was lucky in that no one was hurt and there was virtually no damage from this, but it kind of scared me a bit, as there were people and cars around that could have been damaged. So, I don't think I'll take it back out today unless the wind dies down entirely. I don't have the ideal flying location here. There are lots of things around to crash into and produce wind turbulence, but on a calm day, it's quite a nice place to fly, although probably more suited to park flyers.

I wrote about my experiences extensively in my blog for any of you that care to read them. I won't repost all of it here, but if you want to check out the mods I've made to my Radian Pro and share my experiences, go ahead and click on my name and check it out, and I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

Thanks, Chuck, for starting this thread. As I said, I've really enjoyed it.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old May 18, 2011, 02:29 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP123 View Post
Hey guys, I have really enjoyed reading this thread and learning so much about the Radian Pro. I got a Radian Pro for Christmas this year, and Monday was the first chance I've had to get in a maiden. Finally! So I wanted to share some of my experiences I've had so far. I really like this plane a lot, but, between the weather and my inexperience with sailplanes, I've had a bit of a rough time so far. I'm currently on vacation from my job in Worcester, MA, and at my parents' house in upstate New York. Apparently, I picked the wrong week for this, as it's been pretty rainy so far, but I have managed to get in a few flights.

It's been interesting, some good experiences and some bad. This afternoon, I had the Radian Pro get away from me and come down out of site of my location. I was lucky in that no one was hurt and there was virtually no damage from this, but it kind of scared me a bit, as there were people and cars around that could have been damaged. So, I don't think I'll take it back out today unless the wind dies down entirely. I don't have the ideal flying location here. There are lots of things around to crash into and produce wind turbulence, but on a calm day, it's quite a nice place to fly, although probably more suited to park flyers.

I wrote about my experiences extensively in my blog for any of you that care to read them. I won't repost all of it here, but if you want to check out the mods I've made to my Radian Pro and share my experiences, go ahead and click on my name and check it out, and I'd appreciate any feedback you might have.

What was the all-up weight after the mods? Where did you get the prop?
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old May 18, 2011, 03:30 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,097 Posts
Quote:

Quick read of your blog, get those control surfaces working smoothly. It's paramount to having good control of your aircraft.

Mike R
mikeruth is online now Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old May 18, 2011, 03:45 PM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
What was the all-up weight after the mods? Where did you get the prop?
Still don't know my AUW, since I"m away from my home and I didn't bring my scale with me. I have a feeling it's kind of a porker, though. Maybe I'll get an original Radian to thermal with. I do have other sailplanes coming soon to the building board, though, including a Dynaflite Butterfly, and I also have a Playboy Senior old timer in the works. The Playboy Senior will be a lazy thermal chaser, I'm sure.

The prop is from Cermark here:

http://www.cermark.com/products/EMP-...ding-prop.html

I had to call in my order, as there seemed to be issues with ordering from the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
Quick read of your blog, get those control surfaces working smoothly. It's paramount to having good control of your aircraft.

Mike R
Yes, I agree 100%. The problem with the elevator was a stripped servo. As the servos for elevator and rudder have been replaced, everything is working smooth and free now, definitely much smoother than the tail was out of the box, since I received a plane with the dreaded sticky pushrods.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old May 18, 2011, 03:58 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,097 Posts
Good deal MAP123,

To all, many might not realize that stripping a gear can be related to a pushrod that is binding, it happens all to often.

I just the other day watched a friend of mine fire up for the first time the radio in a used Cularis, He didn't know any better and just started banging the sticks to see how things move.That's a BIG NO NO!.

He promptly Stripped the rudder servo. In this case the previous owner had sprayed the plane with a clear coat, he likes shiny, what can I say. And the rudder was so stiff that the servo broke.

Always check these things slowly and carefully.

Mike R
mikeruth is online now Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old May 18, 2011, 06:59 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Apparently, I picked the wrong week for this, as it's been pretty rainy so far, but I have managed to get in a few flights.
Yeah, what a week for you. And the weather wasn't any better today in BOS or JFK.

I like the tail of your Radian Pro. Nice looking. Got a question for you guys:

Has anybody used the OrangeRX Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Receiver from HobbyKing with their Radian Pro?? $6.99 is the going price off their web site??? Sure is a lot cheaper than $59.99 but the OrangeRX is made in China and I believe someone said that the original Spektrum RX is made in Taiwan? A buddy of mine is looking into the Radian Pro PNP and asked me about this receiver. I have no idea since all my planes are the ParkZone/HobbyZone RTF or BNF versions.

And there's a review on YouTube back in July 2010 regarding a "Cheap Spektrum Receiver" posted by a eastcoast78. Is that our same eastcoast78 from Canada or somebody different.
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old May 18, 2011, 07:40 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Has anybody used the OrangeRX Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 2.4Ghz Receiver from HobbyKing with their Radian Pro??
I have one in my Radian as well as my Parkzone P-47, and would not hesitate to use it in a Radian Pro. If I had it to do over again, I'd of gotten a Radian PNP and put a AR7010 in it though. I've picked up an AR7010 and plan to install it when I transfer my parts to a new fuse, now that I have many flights in without crashing.(I lawn-darted it, and broke its back, during an early flight with the original sticky pushrods.)

I do wish Orange made a 7 or 8 channel Spektrum compatible RX.

I have had one time where my Radian lost signal, but it was way out and had the antenna directly pointed at the Radian. Durr...

I have picked up Orange satellites to use with the RXes for an extra signal path. They are very small and light, with a nice long lead to go with them. I've not flown since getting them though, but they are installed now.
VaderSS is offline Find More Posts by VaderSS