SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2011, 10:57 PM
Acacia II Lunar Lander
United States, CA, LADERA RANCH
Joined Feb 2011
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickie View Post
I used magnets to hold the wings on and molex 4 pin connectors.
Bingo. That's about what I had cooking, but I didn't think to crack open the plastic brace. Great idea!
RCRod is offline Find More Posts by RCRod
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2011, 11:04 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrickie View Post
I used magnets to hold the wings on and molex 4 pin connectors.
I am sure magnets are strong enough to hold the wing in place, I just needed something more rigid for piece of mind.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old May 13, 2011, 06:24 AM
Wizardofozone
United States, PA, Zelienople
Joined Sep 2009
414 Posts
wing suprise

I was suprised last night while doing general checks on my Pro. I have never had anything but soft landings and was suprised to note how much play or rocking action I'm having in the wings .... I removed them and noticed that the wing holes that accept the wing rod is a tad larger than necessary, most probably from foam compression during turns and dives ... Can tighten wing roots in various ways but i'm just wondering if it's happening to anyone else or is indicating a problem with mine ... tabs and screws are fine and seperation isn't a problem, just that quarter inch rocking ability when fully assembled in the fuse.
Wizardofozone is offline Find More Posts by Wizardofozone
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2011, 07:13 AM
United States, KS, De Soto
Joined Aug 2004
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRod View Post
Bingo. That's about what I had cooking, but I didn't think to crack open the plastic brace. Great idea!
I didnt take the brace out. I just got out the trusty Dremel and a small file and went to work. Ive flown it alot with this set up and so far its worked great.
jfrickie is offline Find More Posts by jfrickie
Old May 13, 2011, 09:10 AM
Jefferson City, MO, USA
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
Sailplane Specific Programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
Spektrum tx do not have a sailplane specific mode. Every setup is based on a powered setup. Everything sailplane specific is done through program mixs, I think.
That appears to be true in the case of my Spektrum DX7. I'm using the Horizon Hobby supplied program with the stock 6 channel RCVR. It does ALMOST everything a sailplane-specific radio will do and there is still one mix left unused. The main limitation is that flaps must be run with a Y cable on a single channel. This eliminates the possibility of full-span flaperons which would require the flaps to operate in different directions in that case and in the same direction when being used as flaps. A DX8 with a 7 or 8 channel RCVR should be able to overcome that limitation. Even without full span flaperons, I'm reasonably happy with roll response, given a healthy dose of Aileron to Rudder mix and aileron differential.
billgerth is offline Find More Posts by billgerth
Old May 13, 2011, 10:17 AM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgerth View Post
The main limitation is that flaps must be run with a Y cable on a single channel. This eliminates the possibility of full-span flaperons which would require the flaps to operate in different directions in that case and in the same direction when being used as flaps. A DX8 with a 7 or 8 channel RCVR should be able to overcome that limitation.
Thats what I am using. DX8 and 7 ch Rx.
No mixes left.
Very happy with my setup.

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2011, 11:43 AM
Jefferson City, MO, USA
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
DX8 Full House Programming

Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
Thats what I am using. DX8 and 7 ch Rx.
No mixes left.
Very happy with my setup.

Rob
Rob, glad the DX8 and 7 channel RCVR works for you. IMHO, having no mixes left is not a problem. What good are unused mixes anyway:-)) I'd really like to try true flaperons on my RP and may just invest in a 7 channel rcvr to see if I can do it, plus everything else (flaps, crow, reflex, camber, ail>rudder, elev compensation, etc.), with my DX7.
Bill in MO
Old May 13, 2011, 12:18 PM
Pennsylvania
Joined Jun 2010
915 Posts
The DX8 has built in dual aileron/dual flap mixing for 7ch RXs(assigns gear as left flap, doesn't waste a mix by moving something to ch8 and leaving gear alone), reassign the aux2 switch to ch8/aux3 to mix camber/reflex to the switch. From there you have 6 mixes for camber, reflex, crow, full span ailerons, and a couple others to switches. You them have a couple to spare for proportional flaps to the knob, or something else, ail to rudder and elevator to flap are standard mixes that don't count aggainst the 6 user programmable mixes. The timer starting and stopping with throttle is good, but there isn't a second "total timer" available, although having pack voltage through telemetry is better than a simple timer. You are short a couple sliders, dual expo and a couple other minor things compared to a full purpose built sailplane radio, but I don't think the vast majority of pilots would miss them. There is a full house 7ch sailplane profile available for download too, can't be any easier than that.
alucard0822 is offline Find More Posts by alucard0822
Last edited by alucard0822; May 13, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old May 13, 2011, 12:22 PM
Jefferson City, MO, USA
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
On Board Altimeter

I just purchased a "How High RT" model aircraft altimeter from Winged Shadow Systems and took several flights with it this morning in my Radian PRO. Very nice package and it seems to work extremely well. I also purchased the Smart Bat battery board which integrates perfectly with the altimeter to make a completely self-contained package. One can also power the altimeter from the RCVR, but I had no spare slots. The altimeter has a lot of flexibility which I have not used. It can interface directly with Spektrum and HiTec telemetry systems, but I just used the flashing LED readout which is elegant in its simplicity. You can also command an altitude sample 9 times during each flight if you have a spare rcvr channel. Otherwise, the altimeter "remembers" the maximum altitude for each flight to be read out after you land. The attached picture shows how I mounted it in my Radian PRO with velcro in the nose compartment just behind the motor. They have several other neat devices to measure airspeed, etc. Check it out at "www.wingedshadow.com" I have no commercial interest in this company but I can highly recommend this product as to usefulness and quality of construction. The web ordering process was easy and FAST!
Bill in MO
Old May 13, 2011, 01:08 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardofozone View Post
I was suprised last night while doing general checks on my Pro. I have never had anything but soft landings and was suprised to note how much play or rocking action I'm having in the wings .... I removed them and noticed that the wing holes that accept the wing rod is a tad larger than necessary, most probably from foam compression during turns and dives ... Can tighten wing roots in various ways but i'm just wondering if it's happening to anyone else or is indicating a problem with mine ... tabs and screws are fine and seperation isn't a problem, just that quarter inch rocking ability when fully assembled in the fuse.
My wings have loosened in a similar way. I don't think it's a big deal in flight. I really like the magnet idea though....thinking of trying it.

Another fix would be to find a plastic tube with an inside diameter that the cf rod will fit snugly inside, and glue a 1 or 2 inch section of the tube into the wing root. Only thing is that might increase the stress on the center section of the rod leading to breakage in a high stress situation.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old May 13, 2011, 01:32 PM
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
826 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgerth View Post
Rob, glad the DX8 and 7 channel RCVR works for you. IMHO, having no mixes left is not a problem. What good are unused mixes anyway:-)) I'd really like to try true flaperons on my RP and may just invest in a 7 channel rcvr to see if I can do it, plus everything else (flaps, crow, reflex, camber, ail>rudder, elev compensation, etc.), with my DX7.
Bill in MO
I am still learning all my mixes.
It is scary to turn on crow when RP is 3 feet of the ground and knob for flaps was all the way out. Plane just stopped mid air. Snap flap didn't help either
Thats what I did this morning. I recovered by switching from crow to camber, giving the motor little power and turning the flaps in.
Now, when I was 1 foot of the ground I turn the crow and full flaps back on for a nice 1 foot skid landing.

Rob
RCG Plus Member
Old May 13, 2011, 01:37 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
My wings have loosened in a similar way. I don't think it's a big deal in flight. I really like the magnet idea though....thinking of trying it.

Another fix would be to find a plastic tube with an inside diameter that the cf rod will fit snugly inside, and glue a 1 or 2 inch section of the tube into the wing root. Only thing is that might increase the stress on the center section of the rod leading to breakage in a high stress situation.
Maybe some flexible rubber tubing would be safer, to keep the foam from wallowing out and yet allow the rod some flex.
Maybe wrap the rod in saran wrap, insert the wrapped rod into the wing, and pour some liquid latex into the wallowed out section. Then pull the rod and saran wrap out. Leaves you with a sort of rubber grommet protecting the foam yet allowing the rod to flex. Not sure about any possible reaction between the foam an latex though.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old May 13, 2011, 02:27 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus1 View Post
Good observations... thank you. I actually tried scanning around the sky for it to appear not where I expected it to be. I did hit the crow switch to keep it slower in a hopeful descent that I never saw. The trouble for me the day I lost it was a cloudless, clear blue sky that didn't afford any backlighting as clouds might have offered, nor a point of reference in a featureless field of blue haze. The shaded bottom side of a white plane directly overhead at mid-day, against a bright blue sky doesn't offer as much contrast as one might presume. Mornings or evenings offer side lighting and better visibility and is when I've usually flown my RP previously. Mid day lift can be impressive however!

I bought another RP on Saturday and have it set up and ready to fly again... this time with owner ID and contact information included on the outside chance I "speck out" again. I'll be more conservative about getting so high with it and will take atmospheric conditions into consideration too. It was like an invisible zipper in the sky opened and claimed my RP. It was very unsettling to lose a plane like that.
Be sure to darken the bottom of those wings. Dark blue or black are best. You can use paint or colored tape. You will get mcuh better contract against the sky with dark wings.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 13, 2011, 02:32 PM
Jefferson City, MO, USA
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robusp View Post
I am still learning all my mixes.
It is scary to turn on crow when RP is 3 feet of the ground and knob for flaps was all the way out. Plane just stopped mid air. Snap flap didn't help either
Thats what I did this morning. I recovered by switching from crow to camber, giving the motor little power and turning the flaps in.
Now, when I was 1 foot of the ground I turn the crow and full flaps back on for a nice 1 foot skid landing.

Rob
Rob, you've identified an issue I have as well. I found that it helped to "dry fly" landing approaches at home with the radio off and imagining what was going on with the sailplane at various stages of the approach and which switches I'd have to operate to make it do what was needed. I practiced doing this without looking at the transmitter, just by feel. It helped a LOT. I like to retract CROW just before touchdown to avoid the possibility of stressing the flap servos. Once I flip the CROW switch to ON, I keep my left finger on the CROW switch so I don't have to search for it when I'm ready to touch down. It works for me.
Bill in MO
Old May 13, 2011, 02:34 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low&Slow View Post
The fact I have seen no mention of Eclipse 7 makes me wonder if I made a mistake buying it. It has served me well for all my R/E and R/E/A aircraft. Now I have the RP and would like to use all the control surfaces to advance my skills such as they are. I have looked in the radio thread and many other locations and can't find a program setup using all the possibility's the RP affords. I am beginning to believe no such programing is available. If this is true then I need suggestions on how to get the most for my money so to speak. At this time and for the foreseeable future I won't be buying a new TX so I have to make due with the Eclipse 7 until I see if full house is where I am going with my sailplanes. Any links or help would be most appreciated.
Phil
The Eclipse 7 is an older generation radio dating back to 2000 I believe. It does not have all the Wiz Bang features of the latest sailplane radios, but in the past it was a popular sailplane radio. It was on my shopping list when I made my first "serious" radio purchase in 2004. However I got the more expensive Futaba 9C instead.

Search for Hitec Eclipse 7 and you will find posts going back to 2001 discussing about how to set it up for a full house glider.

What follows is a note I sent to a new glider pilot who was setting up an electric Cularis in early 2009.

Select a glider profile and 4 servo wing (4WNG) type? Page 10-11

What channels did you use for your servos? Page 30 gives you the channel
assignments you should use for a glider using the glider profile and 4 wing
servo type.

Do you have your basics done? End point adjusted, servos centered? All
moving in the correct direction? - See page 28 for the index that is
relevant to gliders

See page 29 for the glider switch assignments

See page 30 for some useful tips

dual rates or dual expo - your choice page 18 or 20

Aileron differential - page 25

aileron to rudder mix - page 24

Flap to elevator mix - Page 33

If you have a motor you will have on/off control from the front left switch
(see diagram on page 29)

You don't need every mix in the book. I would suggest that you try to enable only these to start.

Here is another thread on the Eclipse for gliders.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=eclipse+7
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; May 13, 2011 at 03:28 PM.