SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:23 PM
Kiwi's can fly
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiuku
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
props again.

well i did the decent thing and went and purchased a power meter,in advance i went to the LHS and got an Aeronaut 10x8.they had no graupner in stock.
1. i had to file the shoulder slightly to fit
2. it doesnt fold back enhough at rest, will this flick out of the way on landing.
3. test original about 10A-11 A (7.5_1).10x8 was about 15A-16A
4.i swapped the ESC to a 35A unit because the sbec is rated at 1.5A and im going to use the telemetry module for batts and altimeter after reading about the .7A stock unit sbec.
am i on the right track
Brettis is offline Find More Posts by Brettis
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2011, 04:59 PM
Jefferson City, MO, USA
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
Servo Covers / Protectors

In my search for servo covers/protectors for my Radian PRO, I ordered a set from 3 different sources to try to upgrade from my makeshift covers (see my post a few days back). I'm pleased to report that the sources I tried were very responsive. I ordered a set of Parkzone servo covers intended for the Habu EDF Jet from Horizon Hobby and they arrived in MO from IL in 2 days. Unfortunately, they are too small for the Radian PRO. Maybe I need a Habu to go along with them :-))

I also ordered from Morgan Mill & Mfg in California and their covers arrived in 3 days by U.S. First Class Mail. Excellent quality, light and strong.

I also ordered from Composite RC, also in California and their covers arrived in 3 days by U.S. Priority Mail. Quality also appears to be excellent.

In the case of Morgan Mill and Composite RC, I used web ordering and Pay Pal for payment. The orders were confirmed promptly by e-mail and shipped the same day. The process worked very well. Consequently I can recommend both these companies as being reliable and prompt. I'll let you know how the covers work out in practice but they look good so far.

Bill in MO
billgerth is offline Find More Posts by billgerth
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:02 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgerth View Post
In my search for servo covers/protectors for my Radian PRO, I ordered a set from 3 different sources to try to upgrade from my makeshift covers (see my post a few days back). I'm pleased to report that the sources I tried were very responsive. I ordered a set of Parkzone servo covers intended for the Habu EDF Jet from Horizon Hobby and they arrived in MO from IL in 2 days. Unfortunately, they are too small for the Radian PRO. Maybe I need a Habu to go along with them :-))

I also ordered from Morgan Mill & Mfg in California and their covers arrived in 3 days by U.S. First Class Mail. Excellent quality, light and strong.

I also ordered from Composite RC, also in California and their covers arrived in 3 days by U.S. Priority Mail. Quality also appears to be excellent.

In the case of Morgan Mill and Composite RC, I used web ordering and Pay Pal for payment. The orders were confirmed promptly by e-mail and shipped the same day. The process worked very well. Consequently I can recommend both these companies as being reliable and prompt. I'll let you know how the covers work out in practice but they look good so far.

Bill in MO
The Morgan Mill cover set works out perfectly on the RP!!! They look cool, too. And will also protect the bottom of the wing as they lift the foam off the ground or pavement just enough.
Great group to deal with. +1

Allen
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Apr 22, 2011, 06:56 PM
Kiwi's can fly
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiuku
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
Just got a set of those covers,they made over here to NZ in good order and they are on and ready for action.
Brettis is offline Find More Posts by Brettis
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:01 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,643 Posts
My RP has a balance point that is 80mm back from the LE. Is this too far back? Should I add a bit of weight to the nose?

thanks
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:18 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestUser01 View Post
My RP has a balance point that is 80mm back from the LE. Is this too far back? Should I add a bit of weight to the nose?

thanks
What is the battery and where is it sitting too with that measurement?
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:21 PM
Jefferson City, MO, USA
Joined Sep 2010
107 Posts
Quote:

thanks
The manual recommends 70mm. I only have 3 flights on mine and I have used 70mm which seems fine. I have seen some suggestions to use 77mm. 80mm seems a bit much. Rather than adding weight to the nose, why don't you just shift the battery forward? Having the CG too far aft can cause pitch instability.

Bill in MO
billgerth is offline Find More Posts by billgerth
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:31 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,574 Posts
Yea,i found the 77mm kinda by accident/mis reading the manual: Who reads the manual anyways?

So i had a few flights @77mm what i thought was in the manual, Little did i know the it recommended 70mm.lol
So i put it up too 70mm and the battery was way out the channel,to far for my liking and i had too add 2 5cent pieces too the nose to get a bit of nose down profile.
I had 3 flights i think at 70mm and all i did was play with the trim button. actually broke it!!! DX6i's are known for it, the -10c didnt help either.

I set it back too 77mm ,battery sits mid channel, and flying perfect.
What ever works i guess. Seems the Pro has some weird CG issues. But thats old news. This tread is too long...lol

Ohh!! im not even going talk about the shooting down planes incident.. cause i don't know the details...
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Apr 22, 2011 at 11:38 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:59 PM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
What is the battery and where is it sitting too with that measurement?
It is a Hyperion CX G3, 3S, 1300 mAh, 25c. The battery is inserted fully into its channel.

I have also tried a 1800 mAh, 3s Lipo. With it sitting nearly upon the ESC, the plane still does not want to balance. This is one tail heavy plane when using the 70mm and 77mm balance points. Go to 80mm and the balance is perfect.

I may go for the 77mm CG and add some weight to the nose. Really dislike adding more weight. Already needed to add 7 grams to the right wing to fix the lateral balance.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:04 AM
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
5,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgerth View Post
The manual recommends 70mm. I only have 3 flights on mine and I have used 70mm which seems fine. I have seen some suggestions to use 77mm. 80mm seems a bit much. Rather than adding weight to the nose, why don't you just shift the battery forward? Having the CG too far aft can cause pitch instability.

Bill in MO
I sort of figured that 80 might be pushing the CG too far back but did not know of the experience of others.

I think I will go with 77 and see how the plane handles. The 70mm setting matches the manual, but seems to be too far forward for the wing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:08 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
The prop nut had come off.

After getting new parts I was putting the new one on and noticed the prop adapter that is set screwed to the motor shaft was loose. It wasn't loose enough to come off but I think movement during motor starts and stops allowed the nut to be worked loose. I pulled the prop from my other Radian to inspect it and the prop adapter was very loose. It was almost ready to come off.

The interesting part was that both adapters had red thread sealer on the set screws. Neither set screw had turned but the adapters were very loose. I removed the set screws and added blue loctite and tightened them. I also added a small amount of loctite to the outer threads of the nut that holds the prop holder on the prop adapter. I put the nut on about one turn and then added the loctite to the exposed threads. I did it this way to be sure loctite could not get to the plastic prop holder. Plastic can be damaged by loctite.
I can't remember who but some pages back there was a mention of taking the spinner off and checking that nut 'cause his was loose upon pre-flight inspection. A whopping 6 flights for me just over 3hrs total with the RP and the spinner and prop nut are still tight and secure. But if it wasn't for his post or yours I'm sure I would NOT be taking the spinner off to check that. Sorry to hear 'bout your incident, thanks for the tip
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Apr 23, 2011, 11:57 AM
hmph!
United States, UT, Logan
Joined Dec 2008
822 Posts
Just put three flights on my new radian pro. I'm not loving the cg recommendation of 70mm. It really doesn't seem close. I'm going to try 77 and see. Also, am I missing some thing? The spectrum spm file doesn't seem to have crow.
ASB32 is offline Find More Posts by ASB32
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:05 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
Quote:
I sort of figured that 80 might be pushing the CG too far back but did not know of the experience of others.

I think I will go with 77 and see how the plane handles. The 70mm setting matches the manual, but seems to be too far forward for the wing.
Find a way to push it forward to about 70 and go fly. Now, adjust back over a series of 20-30 flights and find your happy point and don't worry about the number. It is just a starting point.

The more forward you get it the more elevator you will need to trim in to "hold up" the nose. This can lead to porpoising. It will also tend to plow through lift and the roll will be a bit sluggish.

The more rearward the more pitch sensitive it will be, the greater the tendency to stall and the less stable it will be.

Your goal is to find the point between those two extremes that works for you. And don't bother to measure the CG because.... who cares? The measurement is just the starting point.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 23, 2011, 06:54 PM
Skill Seeker
Cordelia, CA
Joined Jan 2011
268 Posts
After installing the Gold-n-rods last night and this morning, I found that the rudder and elevator would return to center from either direction, and that there was very little drag on the controls.

I spent about 2 hours flying it today, and am pretty happy with it.

I wound up using the stock z-bends JB Welded into the rods, as that put the least strain on the servos.
VaderSS is offline Find More Posts by VaderSS
Last edited by VaderSS; Apr 23, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:19 PM
Joined Jul 2009
18 Posts
my prop just fell off in mid air.

I was flying on the slope, and it was pretty windy. as soon as the balance was off, i was having trouble penetrating the wind. had to force it down for a pretty rough landing. luckily no damage to the airframe, but it looks like i'll be investing in a new motor. bummer.
limbatus is offline Find More Posts by limbatus