HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:54 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Nice Mod..
It is a PITA plugging the 4 leads all the time. i Never did un-plug form the RX,i always plug them in out side the wing like your 6pin mod. Then i tuck the wires in the hole in the Fuse.(Which is also a PAIN). I cut a block of foam from the wing root to help stole the wires. I found that having all the wires pushed in the hole forced everything up into the RX bay..What a miss!!!, i got abrasions on the Rudder wire.
I need too find some of these or similar plugs. Radio Shack/The Source should have some 6 pin connectors.

Im not the greatest when it comes too Elec's, do you have or know where i could get a Diagram of the Steps to connect the 6 servo wires too the 6 pins.
I think i know ,but not sure.

Thanks
Yup exactly what rcrod said. It doesn't matter which way you do it, as long as you keep it the same all the way through. The mpx 6 pin connectors that I used have two outer leads centered on the face, and then 4 leads in a box shape between them. When viewed from the top (straight down at the larger width) you only see 4 leads (because the two leads furthest from your eyes are shielded by the two closest). So when I soldered I went black to the outer, then red and then the yellow from top to bottom to the pins closest to my eyes. Then I flipped over the connector and repeated the pattern again from top to bottom. Then I did the same for the rx leads to the mating connector. Again just be sure that each lead matches the color of the one opposite, and you should be fine.

Like I said in the video (and how rcrod did it) you can actually get away with just 4 pin connectors, because ground and power are common for all servos. But imo slightly tougher to solder, because it will require two leads to one pin for the red and black, which is tricky if you aren't a good solderer.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2011, 05:05 PM
Somewhere lost in Texas
United States, TX, Flower Mound
Joined Jan 2011
299 Posts
Quote:
It is a PITA plugging the 4 leads all the time.
Agreed! I did something similar, but used a 4 pin connector...
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:18 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
... deleted
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; May 03, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:30 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZCanuck View Post
Pretty dang egotistical to be quoting myself, eh. I awoke to 5 cm of wet sticky white stuff which may be gone by Monday. So I updated Picasa with what I'm doing and now have the full weekend to play indoors with the RA Pro and my income tax return .

https://picasaweb.google.com/1074099...eat=directlink

Same mod with RX in canopy as with my Elektro Rookie for the same reason. To cramped with all that servo wiring near the servo arms.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1074099...ElektroRookie#

Alan
Yeah, the RX7000 is very cramped in the back too. Don't like the servo arms proximity to the leads either.

You could just as well tape the antennae on the inside of the canopy. The canopy shouldn't block the signal. My satellite receiver is inside, attached to the right side of the cockpit and gets very few fades according to the flight logger.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Apr 16, 2011, 12:43 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I've been looking around for another bird to keep the RP company. I have not found one yet that compares to the price/value of the RP.

I am leaning toward these, but it will cost more to gear it up. Anyone familiar with these planes?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=16582
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cularis.htm
Old Apr 16, 2011, 02:13 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
You could just as well tape the antennae on the inside of the canopy. The canopy shouldn't block the signal. My satellite receiver is inside, attached to the right side of the cockpit and gets very few fades according to the flight logger.
Here's my setup:

It's all a bit tight in there. I might look into relocation to the canopy. Clever idea, I never considered that.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 16, 2011, 04:37 PM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Here's my setup:

It's all a bit tight in there. I might look into relocation to the canopy. Clever idea, I never considered that.
You see the second servo arm: If it extends the rod interferes with the first servo. I bend the rod a bit away from it.

Also I do not like the rx in the canopy: Esc, battery are too close. I have it in the back, there is enough space there, I even have an Optima 7 in there without any extensions. If you use the space properly and put a few ty-wraps in the proper spaces there's no worries.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Apr 16, 2011, 04:52 PM
Woodland Hills CA
Joined Jun 2009
109 Posts
Just finnished mine. I put an AR6200 in it. Has anyone put the remote RX on the outside?
3DKid1995 is offline Find More Posts by 3DKid1995
Old Apr 16, 2011, 05:30 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2010
412 Posts
... deleted
EZCanuck is offline Find More Posts by EZCanuck
Last edited by EZCanuck; May 03, 2011 at 07:25 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 08:56 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
I appreciate that, but I'm pragmatic and it works on my Electro Rookie and Easy Stars and are in proximity to servos and CF spars.

I will later test the antennas inside. I would have put them inside to start, but, I cannot do my usual RF test on the RA canopy as the 2 rare earth magnets are attached. It involves using a microwave oven and a cup of water to see if the plastic absorbs RF (plastic, carbon fiber no; but whatever it is impregnated with for color, impurities etc may absorb RF ). One of the antennas just need to be in line of sight of the TX at all times and of course the RF emitted by wiring, ESC, BL motor, servo motors etc could interfere or swamp the RX.

We shall see.

Alan
I doubt it, especially if it's taped to the inside of the canopy. My plane came stock with the AR 600 antenna taped inside the cockpit. Surely Parkzone has some experince with proper canopy materials, right?

Check out my cockpit. The receiver is on the right side of the fuselage among the maze of wires and the gps logger.
Add to that the occasional Contour video camera and still no loss of signal. I don't think the plastic canopy will block any signal.
The flight logger picks up only a couple of fades a flight (which is nominal), no lost packets and no holds.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 16, 2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:08 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,974 Posts
Quote:
I appreciate that, but I'm pragmatic and it works on my Electro Rookie and Easy Stars and are in proximity to servos and CF spars.

I will later test the antennas inside. I would have put them inside to start, but, I cannot do my usual RF test on the RA canopy as the 2 rare earth magnets are attached. It involves using a microwave oven and a cup of water to see if the plastic absorbs RF (plastic, carbon fiber no; but whatever it is impregnated with for color, impurities etc may absorb RF ).
Well, with your current setup, and with the plane above you, the canopy is actually between your Tx and the antennas for most of the time.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Apr 17, 2011, 01:49 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathelo View Post
I just bought a bag of these 6 pin MPX Connectors. Cheap and perfect.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9638

Louis
Sweet thanks for the Link..BK now but i got a few things in the works for my next order...;0) Ill get them when there back in Stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targetlocman View Post
Yup exactly what rcrod said. It doesn't matter which way you do it, as long as you keep it the same all the way through. The mpx 6 pin connectors that I used have two outer leads centered on the face, and then 4 leads in a box shape between them. When viewed from the top (straight down at the larger width) you only see 4 leads (because the two leads furthest from your eyes are shielded by the two closest). So when I soldered I went black to the outer, then red and then the yellow from top to bottom to the pins closest to my eyes. Then I flipped over the connector and repeated the pattern again from top to bottom. Then I did the same for the rx leads to the mating connector. Again just be sure that each lead matches the color of the one opposite, and you should be fine.

Like I said in the video (and how rcrod did it) you can actually get away with just 4 pin connectors, because ground and power are common for all servos. But imo slightly tougher to solder, because it will require two leads to one pin for the red and black, which is tricky if you aren't a good solderer.
Thanks, Now seeing a pic of the connectors on the HK Site.i kinda get a better picture.
So would the only way to miss it up if you have a Red from Flap going too a Red AIl lead from RX or any other mixed combination?

Thanks
Mike
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:10 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__ View Post
Here's my setup:

I can see why some CG are out of Wack .man thats alot of glue there. ANy your servos are not aligned the same as mine... I guess thats why some have the issue of Arms banging each other.

What is Quality Control anyways?

Still great Plane for the Price though.

I was thinking of modding a Bungy launch system.
i can just run a 500Mah!! That would take about 4-5 Oz off the Pro.
Would be cool too see what it would do with out motor running.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:24 AM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Right, I'm on a grovelling mission here.
I've been using the search tool for half an hour and am getting nowhere. I am looking for the post that someone very kindly put up a month or so ago about how they programmed the DX7 to have crow on the throttle stick and the motor on/off on a switch.
As I am embarking on a DLG build shortly, I thought it would be sensible to retrain my brain to fly sailplanes in this configuration.

Can anyone help with a repost?

Thanks guys.

(ps: I thought there was a way to 'search this thread'. I can't find it though...)
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Last edited by Siggy101; Apr 17, 2011 at 02:25 AM. Reason: Typo again!
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:36 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
Right, I'm on a grovelling mission here.
I've been using the search tool for half an hour and am getting nowhere. I am looking for the post that someone very kindly put up a month or so ago about how they programmed the DX7 to have crow on the throttle stick and the motor on/off on a switch.
As I am embarking on a DLG build shortly, I thought it would be sensible to retrain my brain to fly sailplanes in this configuration.

Can anyone help with a repost?

Thanks guys.

(ps: I thought there was a way to 'search this thread'. I can't find it though...)
Im sure someone well find it for yea..

yea the search option is up top right ,in-under the page count...
RCG Plus Member