Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
AeroRecon

Sounds like your CG may be off a touch.

Don't expect the Pro to be anywhere near as hands off at the original Radian. The nature of the design of a full house glider typically requires more attention than a R/E design. It will not self level the way the original Radian does and will be thrown off level flight by gusts and side breezes because of this. The original Radian will come back to level flight without your help most of the time.

The same can be said for my full house Supra and my RES AVA. The AVA flies itself. The Supra needs much more attention.
Right. That is what I am thinking too. Spoiled by the autopilotness of the Radian. Guess I just need to spend more time with it. Did not really fly it much until I got the servo covers. Ripped the arms and horns off my Corsair the first time I took the wheels off. Knew for sure I would do the same here.

Thanks
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:22 PM
AMA 964040
USA, MA, Worcester
Joined Oct 2008
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
Thanks Mike.

Invest time to make it better? Who has time for that!
Next decent, calm flying day I will spend more time on that.
But the elevator looks spot on. Dead centered and level with the stab. If off as much as it seems, wouldn't that be drooping way down? What else could force it to tuck under?

Finally got my Polaris rebuilt so been flying that a lot in all conditions. The truck gets crowded with the assembled Radian Pro, the Polaris, a 3DEPP Yak hanging from a bungy in the back seat, all my gear and 3 sets of golf clubs.

"Let's take your car dear. Its got more room for the family."
This is probably a dumb question, since you seem to be well-experienced, but are your controls all freely moving? Many people have found the elevator and/or rudder pushrod to be quite stiff, and that could account for your reports of your elevator seeming to be out of trim. Just a thought.
MAP123 is offline Find More Posts by MAP123
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:27 PM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
Work on your CG again using the dive test and get it to just slightly want to come out of the dive. I think that will be worth your while. don;t forget to retrim after changing CG.

MIke R
Where exactly does that tend to put your CG? I've generally been pretty happy with the way mine flies, but I definitely have to be on the sticks especially with the flaps down, as it approaches stall speed ... Kinda curious if there's any real difference if I were to bring the CG forward a little bit.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:29 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,526 Posts
Quote:
Right. That is what I am thinking too. Spoiled by the autopilotness of the Radian. Guess I just need to spend more time with it. Did not really fly it much until I got the servo covers. Ripped the arms and horns off my Corsair the first time I took the wheels off. Knew for sure I would do the same here.

Thanks
RE gliders, like the Radian, are easier to fly and easier to thermal when the conditions are good and when wind tends to be lighter. They also tend to be lighter so they tend to do better in very very light lift conditions.

Add spoilers and a R/E glider becomes a RES glider. Now you can significantly increase the precision with which you can land. Having glide path control can help you put the nose of that glider down with much greater precision.

Full House gliders tend to be more flexible. When the lift is far off the field their higher wing loadings and changeable wing profile let you range out better, most of the time. When conditions are windy or gusty, or when you are trying to land in a very precise manner, the ailerons and flaps give you a lot of control. The ability to reshape the wing allows you to change the behavior of the glider in the air.

However as we move from the high dihedral of the R/E design to the low dihedral of the full house design, the workload on the pilot goes up. And, with all those switches and options to control those mixes, the workload and the oportunity to make a mistake goes up too. Landing with your flaps turned off, or taking off with crow activated are just two examples.

I have had more pilot induced crashes with my aileron and full house gliders, than with my RES gliders. That is why I usually teach on R/E or RES gliders.

But you can do things with the full house gliders that the RES gliders can't do. That is the attraction of this design.

So, it becomes a personal decision as to which you fly and when. I have several RES gliders and two more in the works.

I have several aileron and full house gliders too. I tend to fly the full house gliders more often because that is what I use in competition most of the time. But when I want a real easy, real relaxing day the RES gliders come out. When I want to teach thermal soaring as opposed to how to fly the plane, the R/E or RES gliders come out.

When the contest is specifically R/E or RES, the full house gliders are not allowed to play. But R/E and RES gliders are usually allowed in unlimited glider contests which are typically flown with aileron or full house gliders.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:39 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
As for air traffic, I have a couple of comments.

I moved from my original flying location because of air traffic. While it was over 4.5 miles from the airport, it was directly in line with the approach to the main runway, and planes were coming over regularly at altitudes of less than 2000 feet. I looked up the glide slope for the runway and found that the recommended slope was around 1700 feet at my location. So I will not fly there any more. If I hit a thermal, I want to be able to fly it.

I now fly well away from any well traveled flight path. You can find aviation chart information for your area on the internet, I'll try to locate some links later.

It is very difficult to determine the proximity of a model plane to a real one, so some attempts to avoid could actually lead to a collision if the aircraft does not see your plane.

IMHO the best policy to avoid collision is a downward spiral. The flash of the spiraling plane may catch the eye of the pilot, and maintaining a position over a point while descending will allow the real pilot to turn off the heading if he sees you. Getting low without wandering from position is the highest priority IMHO. Not sure what the AMA recommends, but I do know that we are responsible if there is a collision. Goes without saying none of us want such an accident to occur. Serious business.

I really think that one day we will have cheap transponders that will help with the problem. Not here yet though.

I could not agree more with your comments. As I said, I'm overly cautious about full scale in the area. This place I flew yesterday isn't my club location. I was out of town on business and had the plane with me. No other aircraft were in the area, and as I said, I heard the twin turboprop and looked just in case (By sound it wasn't close even at that point).
I must admit that as much fun as the Radian Pro is, and convenient with the electric motor, I much prefere my pure winchable planes.
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:30 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Mike.

Invest time to make it better? Who has time for that!
Next decent, calm flying day I will spend more time on that.
But the elevator looks spot on. Dead centered and level with the stab. If off as much as it seems, wouldn't that be drooping way down? What else could force it to tuck under?

Finally got my Polaris rebuilt so been flying that a lot in all conditions. The truck gets crowded with the assembled Radian Pro, the Polaris, a 3DEPP Yak hanging from a bungy in the back seat, all my gear and 3 sets of golf clubs.

"Let's take your car dear. Its got more room for the family."
I think that undercambered wing generates so much lift that it changes the trim at higher speeds. As speed increases the center of lift moves back and the plane wants to tuck under. That's why most want to move the cg back further than the spec cg. It makes it a little more squirrelly at low speed though.
I wonder if anyone has ever made a ballast that can be slid back and forth in flight with an extra channel? Uh-oh.....more gadgets!
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 13, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:45 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Just got back from the field and I had a great day with my Radian pro.

I flew for 1 hour on one battery (still had 11.3v resting) and it was gusty so that was pretty good for a sailplane newbie (alot of times I had to use the motor just to keep my plane in the county lol).

Anyway I love this plane. And by the way I bought this one a few weeks back and it came with the rudder hinge pretaped. I had several flights in it and I thought I better check the hinge because of what I've read here and I was surprised to see it was pretaped. So Parkzone is listening!

If you're on the fence about this plane don't be it is excellent and a lot of fun.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:15 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Radian pro wing install/uninstall mod video

Here's a video I made of how to make installing or removing your radian pro's wings at the field easier using multiplex connectors.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/22367360" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/22367360">Radian pro mod for easy wing install</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1513595">Bill D</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
Last edited by billyd60; Apr 13, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 09:34 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
See here in case you are interested in checking out a new flying field for conflicts with full scale air traffic beyond the 4 mile altitude restrictions. Links to some online resources from the FAA.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:18 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targetlocman View Post
Here's a video I made of how to make installing or removing your radian pro's wings at the field easier using multiplex connectors.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/22367360" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href="http://vimeo.com/22367360">Radian pro mod for easy wing install</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user1513595">Bill D</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
Can you post a direct link? I can't make any of the above work.
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:20 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecase View Post
Can you post a direct link? I can't make any of the above work.
Sorry I am trying to embed the video but it won't work. I was hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong. In the meantime here's a link

http://vimeo.com/user1513595/radian-...r-wing-install
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:20 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Radian pro mod for easy wing install (2 min 22 sec)

Nice looking mod Targetlocman!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:24 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Thanks jumpy. Why can't I get it to embed??
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:29 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
[QUOTE=Targetlocman;17963671]Sorry I am trying to embed the video but it won't work. I was hoping someone can tell me what I am doing wrong.

Just copy the url and paste directly into the box, don't try to insert as a picture.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 10:47 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Hmmm. Picasa videos do not embed. Not sure why.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 13, 2011 at 10:54 PM.