HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2011, 10:15 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeht View Post
How's this for a first post. After opening the box and the initial inspection the trailing edges looked OK. I also noticed that the rudder is now taped on both sides, a little stiff but due-able, no binding in the pushrods was detected, but were removed anyways and polished with steel wool. The threaded portion did make some noise going through the ends so I reamed both ends of both pushrod tubes. I only thing I didn't like was the linkage on the flaps, so after pulling them, I tweaked the end of the z bend and reinstalled them on the other side of the servo arm.

It took a little over a week to read this entire thread, but I would like to say thanks for the heads up on this particular kit/model. I already have a DX6i, so the programing went pretty smooth. So once again, thanks guys.

Mike
Yup, my flap linkages also came installed backward. Forgot about that.

They read and write backward in China too....or is it Japan?

The aileron servos tend to hang in the grass. It's a good idea to put fairings over them. I have fairings on all four of the wing linkages...no more hang-ups.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2011, 12:34 AM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Yup, my flap linkages also came installed backward. Forgot about that.

They read and write backward in China too....or is it Japan?

The aileron servos tend to hang in the grass. It's a good idea to put fairings over them. I have fairings on all four of the wing linkages...no more hang-ups.
Don't remember what page that was on, but after reading about the fairings I ordered the RP modified set from Morgan Mill. Being that we are both located on the west coast I received them in about 3 days. That pretty nice service.
mikeht is offline Find More Posts by mikeht
Old Apr 09, 2011, 02:16 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeht View Post
Don't remember what page that was on, but after reading about the fairings I ordered the RP modified set from Morgan Mill. Being that we are both located on the west coast I received them in about 3 days. That pretty nice service.

Here is the post about the servo covers --

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2852

Here is the Morgan Mill site with the RP covers --

http://morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_037.htm

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:00 PM
Kiwi's can fly
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiuku
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
thanks for that , i have just ordered a set
Brettis is offline Find More Posts by Brettis
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:07 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Oct 2010
266 Posts
I am thinking about getting this sailplane (I normally fly helicopters, but there is a lot of too windy days here when I can't fly them).
One question - how easy/hard is to detach the wings for transport/storage. It won't fit in my car fully assembled.
AcidDrink is offline Find More Posts by AcidDrink
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:17 PM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
I am thinking about getting this sailplane (I normally fly helicopters, but there is a lot of too windy days here when I can't fly them).
One question - how easy/hard is to detach the wings for transport/storage. It won't fit in my car fully assembled.
Wings are not the easiest but you get the hang of it. I have to disassemble for every trip to the flying field. Don't worry about it at all it's 1 minutes work but it also serves as a good preflight check of all connectiones etc... no biggie.

Just had a great slope experience today. 49:48 from 20 seconds of motor run! I only landed because my friends Radian got chopped in half by a 3.4m slope monster. Seriously, the nose was chopped straight off!!! The guy with the double carbon monster didn't notice until he was tapped on the shoulder. Ouch.

Nothing that a little Uhu Por can't fix...
Siggy101 is online now Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:25 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidDrink View Post
It is a bit of a pain with the stock setup. The aileron leads are not the same length as the flap leads. You have can plug the flaps into the Y harness at the wing socket, but the aileron leads have to be threaded up into the receiver cavity and plugged into the receiver, and unfortunately that requires a surgeon's touch. Unless you are a surgeon, in which case you should have no problem!

You might want to get some forceps or Small Needle nose pliers.

I threaded a y harness from the radio compartment down into the wing root and out of each side. Then plugged the aileron cables into those sockets. Then plugged in the flap leads, then while inserting each wing I pulled on the y harness and the flap lead while sliding the wing into the socket. You have to be careful not to smash the wires with the wing root, otherwise you may end up short and the wing may not seat enough to line up the wing mounting screw. It's a matter of pulling wires with one hand, pushing wing into socket with the other hand, and holding the rest of the plane with an extra hand.....hmmmm....better bring a friend. Just kidding.. it can be done once you get used to it.
If you have no trouble aligning the wing root screw then you are fine.

Some have modified the setupto make it easier. The quickest mod IMHO is to get some short extensions, or make them from y harnesses. The extensions would ride in the cavity between the wing roots. When you put the wings on the extensions would be sticking out of the sides of the plane. The extensions would stay connected to the radio at all times. After connecting, you would pull on the extensions lightly as you insert the wing.

Others have made more elaborate mods which make hooking up even easier.

Mine fits in the SUV (skewed at a 45 degree angle) so I keep the wings on, hanging from the ceiling in the office.

Unless you are using a Y harness for ailerons, you should mark the leads for which receiver socket they go into.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 10, 2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 12:42 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
Wings are not the easiest but you get the hang of it. I have to disassemble for every trip to the flying field. Don't worry about it at all it's 1 minutes work but it also serves as a good preflight check of all connectiones etc... no biggie.

Just had a great slope experience today. 49:48 from 20 seconds of motor run! I only landed because my friends Radian got chopped in half by a 3.4m slope monster. Seriously, the nose was chopped straight off!!! The guy with the double carbon monster didn't notice until he was tapped on the shoulder. Ouch.

Nothing that a little Uhu Por can't fix...
Siggy,
That sounds like some great flying. Did you need the 20 second motor run? Thinking of the Big Sky Contest. Very few are posting times like that.

There you go again with another Brit-ism.........What is Uhu Por?
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:22 PM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Siggy,
That sounds like some great flying. Did you need the 20 second motor run? Thinking of the Big Sky Contest. Very few are posting times like that.

There you go again with another Brit-ism.........What is Uhu Por?
Thanks Jumpy.
Nope, I didn't need anything like 20 seconds. If I had known, 2 seconds would have been more than enough. I was flying with other guys with pure sailplanes with no motor and they were up for as long as they wanted.
Do I qualify for the Big Sky? Let's pop over there and see...
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:24 PM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
lol, I'm afraid UHU Por is a glue, not a Britishism but I bet you are just busting to hear the next one...
I won't keep you waiting much longer for the next beauty I'm sure!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:28 PM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Ah balls, I see that the motor time is 5 seconds on the slope competition.
I will get back up there and I'm 100% sure that I can break the hour if I actually go to try. Today was just a fun fly ended by a friends model being decapitated.

Watch this space...
Old Apr 10, 2011, 01:45 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
Quote:
lol, I'm afraid UHU Por is a glue, not a Britishism but I bet you are just busting to hear the next one...
I won't keep you waiting much longer for the next beauty I'm sure!
Keep them coming! They always put a grin on my face.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 06:14 PM
The Best or Nothing
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
I love this gentle giant!

I picked one up about a week ago and it's always a blast to fly. I've never flown or even imagined owning a electric sailplane but I'm sure glad I pulled the trigger with this one. It can handle some crazy winds and 15+min flight times are the the norm (Parkzone 3S 1300mah). Parkzone's R&D deptartment did a good job...

Also with its long flight times with stability, my gf enjoys learning to fly with it.

Servo Covers?? Are you guys scratch building or purchasing them? I've been looking at plastic bottles of different shapes to see if they can be of use....
RustyT3FT is offline Find More Posts by RustyT3FT
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:05 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyT3FT View Post
I love this gentle giant!

I picked one up about a week ago and it's always a blast to fly. I've never flown or even imagined owning a electric sailplane but I'm sure glad I pulled the trigger with this one. It can handle some crazy winds and 15+min flight times are the the norm (Parkzone 3S 1300mah). Parkzone's R&D deptartment did a good job...

Also with its long flight times with stability, my gf enjoys learning to fly with it.

Servo Covers?? Are you guys scratch building or purchasing them? I've been looking at plastic bottles of different shapes to see if they can be of use....
It is surely a great flying plane. Rather addictive. Good that your lady likes it too!

I found the bottle you are looking for.
See Here.

You can also purchase some ready made. Gary Morgan of Morgan Mill & Manf. has agreed to supply a Radian Pro set of covers that will include three Right-hand covers and one Left-hand cover in either the Diamond/SC21-5 configuration or the all SC21-5 configuration. He is also working on a special flap servo cover that may be a little less expensive.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 10, 2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 07:15 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
7 Posts
Quote:

Reminders me of the very first time I flew R/C, (about 20 years ago). I had spent about a month or so building a Sig Kadet, a high wing glo fuel trainer. My buddy had it in the pattern, trimmed out, when he handed it over to me. I hadn't had the controls in my sweaty hands 30 seconds before another rc guy took his pattern ship through the left side fuselage into the wing. We both crashed. A couple years later I discovered slope soaring, and quietly retired from the mess of glo fuel.
mikeht is offline Find More Posts by mikeht