HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:56 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
A couple of kmZ files from today's action.
One 25+ minute flight, an 18 minute flight, a 12 minute flight below launch level, and a respectable 9+ minutes in a two hour session!
Lots of seeking and lots of finding.
Nice day.
The top flight KMZ is too big for the full data with altitude color chages.
You can open the shrunken KMZ and go to "Edit" "show elevation profile" in GE and that shows all the flight data when you move your moues over the elevation profile section. If you're steady you can sort of replay the flight this way. Just learned this, not sure why a smaller file can contain the same amount of data though.

The other flights are the full KMZ files with timestamp waypoints.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 05, 2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Added KMZ files
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:02 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Mar 2011
537 Posts
I'm not talking about the aileron servo horns not matching up to the flap servo horns. I'm talking about left flap servo horns pointing a totally different direction than right flap servo horns. Same for ailerons. I have an aileron differential mix on my computer so I'll be using that instead.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

I also need a way to move throttle to a switch, I have a 8103 and I've looked at all the programming threads on it and e-sailplanes but they all talk about having the throttle on the left stick and activated by turning off crow. That switch is currently on camber/crow and I don't really want proportional throttle control, just a full on, full off ala f5b. Though I think I just need to get a 8 ch reciever and that should solve that problem. I only have a 7ch and ch1 is not used in JR8103 glider programming.

Maybe I should just put this in acro mode, run the flaps off a y and wait for my 9303.
vhuang168 is offline Find More Posts by vhuang168
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:34 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Eastcoast78 : What is all that white stuff on the ground? Great flight, like seeing that beautiful dot in the sky! You had all that stored up energy and frustration over the past several months, and finally put it to great use in this video and in beautiful blue sky.

My Pro had the foam rudder hinge. 50 flights, no cracks, no problems, no tape.
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:46 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
I'm not talking about the aileron servo horns not matching up to the flap servo horns. I'm talking about left flap servo horns pointing a totally different direction than right flap servo horns. Same for ailerons. I have an aileron differential mix on my computer so I'll be using that instead.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

I also need a way to move throttle to a switch, I have a 8103 and I've looked at all the programming threads on it and e-sailplanes but they all talk about having the throttle on the left stick and activated by turning off crow. That switch is currently on camber/crow and I don't really want proportional throttle control, just a full on, full off ala f5b. Though I think I just need to get a 8 ch reciever and that should solve that problem. I only have a 7ch and ch1 is not used in JR8103 glider programming.

Maybe I should just put this in acro mode, run the flaps off a y and wait for my 9303.
Gotcha. Some folks see those aileron horns pointed forward and immediately start fuming.
Yours sounds like a real mess.
Cannot help you...above my level of knowledge on the radio programming, but others here can probably help.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:14 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Nice vid EastCoast!
Good to see things greening up again up yonder.
Looks like fun (aside from using the rudder for landing gear)!
Thanks Jumpy,man i wish everyday was like that. I was out there for 3.5hrs
i actually got a sun/snow burn on my face. I need it after this long winter.
I know our field would produce thermals in the Spring/summer. Should be
great in a few weeks when half that snow is gone. that big field is Tilled all sommer long. With a hot sun,im guessing that is one Big parking lot. building up heat!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
Mine has over 100 flights with the styro hinge only. It will not fail any time soon unless the part is subjected to a tearing force from the bottom or topof the rudder. Think about tearing a sheet of paper in half. Try to pull it apart in the same plane and you cannot. Go to the edge and give the sheet a pull in opposite planes it will tear. As far as failure due to flexing in the same plane (normal use) I have never seen a foamie that uses this method of hinge fail.
Ok, i was just wondering. cause mine has the Foam hinge,but then Tape on that.
Yes; i completely understand how a long surface would hold up. I use that method for my contact cement hinges on my EPP 3d Foamies. its quite strong.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1392769

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
Eastcoast78 : What is all that white stuff on the ground? Great flight, like seeing that beautiful dot in the sky! You had all that stored up energy and frustration over the past several months, and finally put it to great use in this video and in beautiful blue sky.

My Pro had the foam rudder hinge. 50 flights, no cracks, no problems, no tape.
So if mine came with tape and yours didn't? What up with that?
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Apr 03, 2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 11:40 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I may have damaged my receiver. I had the main antennae sticking out either side of the fuse with some tubing around them. I landed fast and one of the tubes hung, and maybe yanked the antenna. Getting lots of frame losses on that one, but the satellite is working fine. Anyone know if I can mount a second satellite on an AR7000? Not wanting to take it out and open it up.
Never mind. I cut off the tubing even with the fuse so it will not hang again. The receiver seems fine now, so maybe it was just a temporary glitch.
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 03, 2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:03 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,450 Posts
My Pro came with no tape on the rudder and i have had no problems at all and as you have seen from my vids, I'm landing in wheat field stubble a lot of the time, just the same as i have had no problems with my servo linkage under the wing again landing on stubble most of the time. not saying i'll never have a problem, but to date there has been none

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:11 AM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
My Pro came with no tape on the rudder only a full length foam hinge. After about 50 flights I've noticed the hinge has torn from the bottom up about 1-1/2".

Not sure of the best method of repair at this point. I guess I will separate the remainder of the foam hinge, add a few regular pin type hinges and tape over the gap.
NCHeliHead is offline Find More Posts by NCHeliHead
Old Apr 03, 2011, 02:27 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,569 Posts
hmm interesting,so was i the only one too have the hinge taped or Wha? lol

I just re- taped mine all is good I was/still am debating osme nylon hinges. Ill see how my tape job holds up for the next few flights. It was like surgery putting the packing tape i cut in those hinges.

Someone on the other post said it sounded like my cowling screws were coming loose,i just checked them. they weren't bar tight but not loose by any means. I snugged them up again too the point where i didn't want too over torque them.
My Grub screw is still tight. But may be a regular check to see how those mount screws are.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 09:23 AM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,158 Posts
Question guys,

Is this kind of foam sandable? There's some excess foam on the trailing edge of one of my flaps from the casting, or it's an abrasion from the packing process. It's not really bad, but i guess it could alter the flight by causing some drag on that flap. If it is sandable, did anyone sand off the little casting bumps?
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:12 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmtrubrit View Post
Question guys,

Is this kind of foam sandable? There's some excess foam on the trailing edge of one of my flaps from the casting, or it's an abrasion from the packing process. It's not really bad, but i guess it could alter the flight by causing some drag on that flap. If it is sandable, did anyone sand off the little casting bumps?
it might be better too use a #11 Scalpel blade. the foam is sand-able, but not sure what kind of finish it would produce.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Apr 03, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:47 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
751 Posts
Well, mine certainly was taped! I didn't notice it on the plane but I lost sight of the RP yesterday and it crashed in a field further down the road......

The fuselage broke in two pieces and the tail also broke. That's when I saw the tape sitting there.

Anyway, I glued it all together again with UHU Por!
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Apr 03, 2011, 11:51 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Well, mine certainly was taped! I didn't notice it on the plane but I lost sight of the RP yesterday and it crashed in a field further down the road......

The fuselage broke in two pieces and the tail also broke. That's when I saw the tape sitting there.

Ahh that sucks!! At least foam is easy too repair!! yea the tape that was on my rudder are thin strips. I fixed them last night with some clear packing tape,now the tape hinge is out on the Rudd/ Vert stab about 1.5''.

It should hold up nice.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:30 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
it might be better too use a #11 Scalpel blade. the foam is sand-able, but not sure what kind of finish it would produce.
I thought about doing this when I got the plane. There are so many casting marks, and some of them are "negative" imprints which would have to be filled. I decided against it. Most of my wings are covered with stick on film which smoothes it out some. There are some bumps along the side of the fuselage just above the wings. Haven't removed them either.

The plane flies fine, thermals well with the casting marks, so I don't think they make much difference.

Now if I had some sharp lines on the leading edge I would want to get rid of them. I think sanding would work. Covering at least the leading edge and the belly with film is essential IMHO to keep it from getting torn up by grass.
Old Apr 03, 2011, 12:35 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post

Speaking of losing sight, I had a few moments of lost orientation yesterday. Managed to pull it together with some wild gyrations. Never lost sight, but just could not tell which way the plane was pointed. I thought "well the plane must be pretty high". Later inspection of the gps data showed that I was not much higher than 1200 feet, just out a ways I guess.

Not a good feeling for sure.