Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:04 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
BarnOwl's Avatar
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desodon View Post
Hi guys can anyone tell me where to get the screw and nut seen in this picture circled in white? My screw broke from a catch landing Attachment 3912414
That's not the stock solution: Normally there is the same clevis as used on the ailerons.....You can use any kind of fix though. (GWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Craig View Post
Got in my RPro, got it reassembled and got the 9303 all programmed. Jebus. Complicated programming, but wow... very cool.

Question - how are people attaching the Hstab? The previous owner of this RP had used C/A and just debonded it for shipping. I know Horizon just uses tape and I used that before on the T-28, but I'm curious if everyone's gluing like the previous owner of this bird did?
I used the supplied two pieces of tape: No trouble at all so far........
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:05 AM
Registered User
Carl Petersen's Avatar
United States, AZ, Quartzsite
Joined Mar 2002
1,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Craig View Post
Got in my RPro, got it reassembled and got the 9303 all programmed. Jebus. Complicated programming, but wow... very cool.

Question - how are people attaching the Hstab? The previous owner of this RP had used C/A and just debonded it for shipping. I know Horizon just uses tape and I used that before on the T-28, but I'm curious if everyone's gluing like the previous owner of this bird did?
I'm just using tape on the bottom. Holds fine and comes off easily.

There have been several requests for 9303 programming examples. Would you care to share yours?
Carl Petersen is offline Find More Posts by Carl Petersen
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:17 AM
your focus needs more focus
jzpilot's Avatar
Gunnison, Co
Joined Oct 2010
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmtrubrit View Post
I took posession of my RP today. One of the first things I did was look at the rudder to check the tape. There wasn't any. The hinge is the actual styrofoam. I'm hoping this is a mod and that the tape is no longer needed. Any comments?
.
Mine has a foam hinge and tape. Better safe than sorry, so I added a couple strips of 3m strapping tape. The tape parkzone uses does not seem to adhere well to the foam. This is a minor issue as all models require thorough inspection and some modification(in most cases).

jz
jzpilot is offline Find More Posts by jzpilot
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:23 AM
ModemMisuser
Lafayette, IN
Joined Dec 2007
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I used the supplied two pieces of tape: No trouble at all so far........
I didn't receive the "stock" tape. Packing tape, maybe? Painter's?
Jon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Jon Craig
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:24 AM
ModemMisuser
Lafayette, IN
Joined Dec 2007
1,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Petersen View Post
There have been several requests for 9303 programming examples. Would you care to share yours?
I will take detailed screenshots when I get a chance - yes. I used the JR/Sherman Knight guide, but did change a few things.

Motor is on the right side slider, camber on left, flaps/crow on left stick during LAND mode only, etc. Auto-Reflex in Speed mode. Yeah, I'll take screenshots of all menus.
Jon Craig is offline Find More Posts by Jon Craig
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:43 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Normally there is no tape on the rudder. The foam is the hinge. I have been flying mine that way for 18 months with not tape and no problems. However if you see a crack in the foam, add some tape to one side. I would use clear packing tape, typically the 3M heavy duty stuff which is a bit thicker than some.
Really, the foam is the hinge? They must have modified this idea later because mine came with a tape hinge only. If you have a foam hinge and tape it it seems like it would put a bind in the rudder action. I would say one or the other.

Seems like the foam only hinge would eventually crack and come apart, but if yours has been flying 18 months, guess not. That Z foam is interesting stuff...more "rubbery" than normal foam I suppose.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:46 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Craig View Post
Got in my RPro, got it reassembled and got the 9303 all programmed. Jebus. Complicated programming, but wow... very cool.

Question - how are people attaching the Hstab? The previous owner of this RP had used C/A and just debonded it for shipping. I know Horizon just uses tape and I used that before on the T-28, but I'm curious if everyone's gluing like the previous owner of this bird did?
I used blue painter's masking tape on the top, coming around the leading edge and partway along the bottom (didn't measure the tape). Has not budged in over 50 flights.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 08:53 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desodon View Post
Hi guys can anyone tell me where to get the screw and nut seen in this picture circled in white? My screw broke from a catch landing Attachment 3912414
That's not stock for sure. There is no way you can trim the rudder with that loose arrangement. It also is more likely to hang up on something that a clevis would be. Could strip a servo. It appears to be upside down and way too loosey goosey. The pushrod is angled too much. If you flip it the pushrod would be straighter and less likely to snag.

To use a clevis you would have to replace the pushrod of the correct length, so the threads would land in the right place.

If you're going to replace the pushrod anyway, you might want to think about replacing both of the pushrods with Golden Rods. Some folks here, myself included, have done that. Funny how seemingly small problems tend to mushroom. It takes a little effort, but improves the trim response.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:41 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desodon View Post
Hi guys can anyone tell me where to get the screw and nut seen in this picture circled in white? My screw broke from a catch landing Attachment 3912414
If you don't want to replace the pushrods, this is probably what you need:

Available at LHS or Hobby Lobby or here.

That's still a "snaggy" setup in comparison to a clevis.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:46 AM
Registered User
ErcoupeEd's Avatar
Joined May 2004
1,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desodon View Post
Hi guys can anyone tell me where to get the screw and nut seen in this picture circled in white? My screw broke from a catch landing Attachment 3912414
That hinge and rudder setup is total crap!
It is not the stock setup for sure.

Here's a quick and easy fix.
You can keep the rudder horn as it appears quite heavy duty.

Step 1-Totally disconnect your linkage, get rid of the thumb screw type of setup you have.

Step 2- carefully remove the rudder from the airplane and get rid of the tape.

Step-3 lightly sand the the front of the rudder and the rear of the vertical fin until the are flat.
Go "lightly" on the sanding.

Step 3- At this point you have a choice as to how to "rehinge" the rudder to the vertical fin.
A good set of "Dubro" hinges will work, or as a low cost alternative, have you seen these cans or containers such as cocoa or butter that come with the round "plastic" snap on-off tops?
The plastic they are made from makes excellent hinges for small RC airplanes.
Simply cut the required number of hinges, slightly rectangular in shape.

Step 4-very carefully with a sharp exacto knife cut some slots ( preferably five) in both your rudder and tail fin so the hinges will slide into the slots.
But before you do, "lightly sand each hinge and rough up the surface slightly.

Next apply some "5 minute epoxy" to both sides of the hinges, but keep it off the center section that will be flexing.

Then place them into either the tail fin or rudder and let them set for a half hour.


Step 5- Then take your rudder and once again apply some "5 minute epoxy" on the rudder hinges again, keeping it off the center which will flex.
Slide the hinges into the slots on the rudder.
Let it set for half an hour.

Alternative- Use a set of small Dubro hinges.
Also use a small dab of "5-minute epoxy" on them when mounting them, do not get any epoxy that part which pivots.
This will keep them from coming loose out of the foam.

Step 6- put a good clevis set up on your rudder cable and use a small piece of nylon fuel tubing that fits snugly over the clevis to keep it locked onto
the rudder horn.
If you have to "remount" your rudder horn so you have no difference in the angle between the rudder cable and the rudder horn.
You want the cable moving as straight as possible to prevent any binding of the cable.

Step 7-recheck all of your radio trim settings and you may have to reset your rudder trim.
ErcoupeEd is offline Find More Posts by ErcoupeEd
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 09:52 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desodon View Post
Hi guys can anyone tell me where to get the screw and nut seen in this picture circled in white? My screw broke from a catch landing Attachment 3912414
Here's another idea.
This device is a short threaded rod that you can attach to an unthreaded rod. Not sure about the diameter, whether it will work with the stock skinny rod. If it works, it would not be so snaggy, and would allow you to use a clevis for fine adjustment of trim.

Available here.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:00 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErcoupeEd View Post
That hinge and rudder setup is total crap!
It is not the stock setup for sure.

Here's a quick and easy fix.
You can keep the rudder horn as it appears quite heavy duty.

Step 1-Totally disconnect your linkage, get rid of the thumb screw type of setup you have.

Step 2- carefully remove the rudder from the airplane and get rid of the tape.

Step-3 lightly sand the the front of the rudder and the rear of the vertical fin until the are flat.
Go "lightly" on the sanding.

Step 3- At this point you have a choice as to how to "rehinge" the rudder to the vertical fin.
A good set of "Dubro" hinges will work, or as a low cost alternative, have you seen these cans or containers such as cocoa or butter that come with the round "plastic" snap on-off tops?
The plastic they are made from makes excellent hinges for small RC airplanes.
Simply cut the required number of hinges, slightly rectangular in shape.

Step 4-very carefully with a sharp exacto knife cut some slots ( preferably five) in both your rudder and tail fin so the hinges will slide into the slots.
But before you do, "lightly sand each hinge and rough up the surface slightly.

Next apply some "5 minute epoxy" to both sides of the hinges, but keep it off the center section that will be flexing.

Then place them into either the tail fin or rudder and let them set for a half hour.


Step 5- Then take your rudder and once again apply some "5 minute epoxy" on the rudder hinges again, keeping it off the center which will flex.
Slide the hinges into the slots on the rudder.
Let it set for half an hour.

Alternative- Use a set of small Dubro hinges.
Also use a small dab of "5-minute epoxy" on them when mounting them, do not get any epoxy that part which pivots.
This will keep them from coming loose out of the foam.

Step 6- put a good clevis set up on your rudder cable and use a small piece of nylon fuel tubing that fits snugly over the clevis to keep it locked onto
the rudder horn.
If you have to "remount" your rudder horn so you have no difference in the angle between the rudder cable and the rudder horn.
You want the cable moving as straight as possible to prevent any binding of the cable.

Step 7-recheck all of your radio trim settings and you may have to reset your rudder trim.
I would only clarify that (first) step 3, when sanding the rudder, do not sand the bevel flat. He should sand the bevel smoothe so that the point of the bevel is clean. Don't take out the bevel. Think that's what you mean.

The glued hinges are surely stronger when installed this way. I've just been in the habit of taping hinges so that airflow does not go through the hinge gap. It may not make much difference unless you are dynamic sloping. I know those guys don't like gaps between surfaces either. Tape is also easier to fix in the field.

No right or wrong way, pilot's preference.

Agreed on the clevis, I think his problem is that there is no thread on the control rod. Not sure who installed that, but it's not factory for sure. Yeah, it's made in China but they surely wouldn't go through all that trouble when they could just grab another rod off the endless pile before them.

Yeah, and I'm still in shock that they would design it with a foam only hinge. Strange indeed, but apparently not used any more for the RP at least. Guess feedback works.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Apr 02, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:16 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Craig View Post
I didn't receive the "stock" tape. Packing tape, maybe? Painter's?
I found mine in the box........a couple of weeks after my first flight. It's a tiny little piece of paper with 4 short tape sections bonded to it. Looks like some scrap. I had already used the painter's masking tape during assembly.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:18 AM
Dixie Normious
Eastcoast78's Avatar
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Craig View Post
I didn't receive the "stock" tape. Packing tape, maybe? Painter's?
I used White Cheap Duct tape from the $ store. Clear packing tape would be the best ,if your planing on taking the Hoz stab off all the time for transportation!!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2011, 10:24 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
I used White Cheap Duct tape from the $ store. Clear packing tape would be the best ,if your planing on taking the Hoz stab off all the time for transportation!!
The painter's tape holds very well, but is also very easy to remove without taking foam with it. Mine is still the original tape and it's still holding.

I am so glad that the plane fits in my car assembled. Taking the wings off and putting them on is a pain. Mine hangs from the ceiling of the office, fully assembled.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rave New Parkzone Radian Pro-discussion thread!!! lightspeeddud Electric Sailplanes 3675 Feb 19, 2014 02:58 AM
Discussion Official Radian Pro Thread Magnumb Parkflyers 14 Apr 10, 2011 10:56 PM
Gallery Parkzone Radian Pro Video bakon Electric Sailplanes 6 Mar 11, 2011 05:21 PM
New Product Parkzone Radian Pro bakon Electric Plane Talk 24 Oct 01, 2010 01:39 AM
Discussion Parkzone Radian Pro $229.99 BnF preorder Tekwip Hot Online Deals 10 Sep 29, 2010 04:35 PM