SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:46 PM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho View Post
No, sorry you got that impression, I said I was agreeing 100% with you.

I thought it was pretty obvious who the rest of the post was directed at (ercoupe). It wasn't a well-constructed post. Sorry..
No problem, I was pretty sure it was not directed at me, but for ercoupe and my sake, I thought I would ask for clarification.
NCHeliHead is offline Find More Posts by NCHeliHead
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:09 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
ed saying you don't like the plane is fine. But the claims you were making, as though you were some kind of authority makes me suspect your motives. 200 emails? Really? Why? Why would they send the emails to you? If I had a gripe I might state it here, but the emails and calls would go to HH not you.

Plus when you read through the 200-odd pages of the thread, you get a problem here and a problem there. Nothing out of the ordinary. And then along comes ed with the 200 emails and the total disaster that is the radian pro. Sorry it is so over the top and counter to everything I know about the plane (I have one it flies great) and what I've read here.

And to top it off you start posting links to other planes in this thread, a total spam job.

I've never reported anyone before today. But I wasn't going to sit back and watch you spread (what I believe to be false) propaganda and pump another plane at the same time.

And it's been said before, but it's a $200 foamy. What were you expecting exactly? I bought it for exactly that reason. It's my first sailplane and if I crash it I can laugh and glue it back together. The props breaking off? $10 fixes that. The rudder hinge fails? Replace it with tape hinges or install plastic one. Each incident can be repaired with a little elbow grease and $10 or $15. That's perfect for learning.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:55 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Ed,

You have a great idea.....give it to that kid if you don't enjoy it. That's turning your bad experience into a good one for him.

I'm sure he will very proud to own the RP, and will probably learn a lot flying it.

Send him here to Chuck's thread if he has any questions about the plane and flying it. Lots of experience to be shared here.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Mar 26, 2011, 04:56 PM
I drank it, and it is good.
United States, OH, Powell
Joined Sep 2009
395 Posts
I hope no body complains that I ask a question on topic, but I need some help with the set up.

Do you guys use the GLIDER mode with the 9303? It seems like many people use the throttle stick as a flap stick and use flight modes to switch between launch, cruise and landing.

Or does everyone just use the ACRO mode and fly it as a (powered) plane and mix in the crow, reflex and camber.

Thanks!
mustang347 is offline Find More Posts by mustang347
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:44 PM
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang347 View Post
I hope no body complains that I ask a question on topic, but I need some help with the set up.

Do you guys use the GLIDER mode with the 9303? It seems like many people use the throttle stick as a flap stick and use flight modes to switch between launch, cruise and landing.

Or does everyone just use the ACRO mode and fly it as a (powered) plane and mix in the crow, reflex and camber.

Thanks!
I just use ACRO and mixes. I wanted to set it up using glider and have flight modes with the ailerons on separate channels, but as I started programming with the sample instructions I was using (JR Engineering Manager John Adams set-up) he points out that you will need to set the flap and aileron servos so that the output shafts face outward towards the wing tips. Not how the RP servos are set. Not wanting to flip a servo, I chose to stick to ACRO.

I have kept the throttle on the left stick and have the flaps on the right slider. I then have camber and reflex on the left 3 position switch and crow on the gear or aux 2 switch, don't remember which off the top of my head.

Not sure if I like the flaps on the slider yet, I have to manually adjust the down flap when I deploy reflex or camber.

If you figure out how to set up glider mode without flipping a servo, let me know.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:59 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHeliHead View Post
I just use ACRO and mixes. I wanted to set it up using glider and have flight modes with the ailerons on separate channels, but as I started programming with the sample instructions I was using (JR Engineering Manager John Adams set-up) he points out that you will need to set the flap and aileron servos so that the output shafts face outward towards the wing tips. Not how the RP servos are set. Not wanting to flip a servo, I chose to stick to ACRO.

I have kept the throttle on the left stick and have the flaps on the right slider. I then have camber and reflex on the left 3 position switch and crow on the gear or aux 2 switch, don't remember which off the top of my head.

Not sure if I like the flaps on the slider yet, I have to manually adjust the down flap when I deploy reflex or camber.

If you figure out how to set up glider mode without flipping a servo, let me know.
Can't you switch two of the wires on a servo lead to reverse it? Think I read that somewhere, and it was any two of the wires! There may be short leads you can buy for this rather than cutting your wires.

Never mind, switching the wires is a no-no!
Last edited by JumpySticks; Mar 26, 2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Do not switch wires.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 06:06 PM
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Can't you switch two of the wires on a servo lead to reverse it? Think I read that somewhere, and it was any two of the wires! There may be short leads you can buy for this rather than cutting your wires.
That's an interesting idea. I don't have a problem cutting servo wires, I've already cut them in order to make single connectors for plugging in the wing servos. Might have to give that a try.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:10 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
That's an interesting idea. I don't have a problem cutting servo wires, I've already cut them in order to make single connectors for plugging in the wing servos. Might have to give that a try.
Don't do it!
Old Mar 26, 2011, 07:44 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,910 Posts
Quote:

I have mine setup on the 9303 with glider mode and I didn't flip a servo. I am not using any Y harnesses though. So I simply reversed one of the flap channels.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:49 PM
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Don't do it!
Not such a good idea eh?
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targetlocman View Post
I have mine setup on the 9303 with glider mode and I didn't flip a servo. I am not using any Y harnesses though. So I simply reversed one of the flap channels.
I guess I just need to forge ahead using glider mode and see what I can get it to do. Initially I just stopped and went with ACRO when it said to have all servos pointing outboard.

Thanks!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:32 AM
MB326 Dino Driver
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2006
80 Posts
Anyway,... i just skipped the last 4 pages,...back to Ridian pros,..

About the only issue I can find is the push rods may, or may not bind,.. is it a good idea to replace them before the first flight,.. mine turns up soon i hope,...and want to get it all good before the first flight,..going to go with Chucks setup of an AR6200,...

Jez
Macchi326Driver is offline Find More Posts by Macchi326Driver
Old Mar 27, 2011, 03:37 AM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatdriver14 View Post
Anyway,... i just skipped the last 4 pages,...back to Ridian pros,..

About the only issue I can find is the push rods may, or may not bind,.. is it a good idea to replace them before the first flight,.. mine turns up soon i hope,...and want to get it all good before the first flight,..going to go with Chucks setup of an AR6200,...

Jez
I'd say that there is no hard and fast rule about this. I have an RP that was bought in the UK last December and my pushrods are as slippery as a lubed up eel. Some have bought later on and had stiffness.
The thing to do is ensure a thorough check over, as you would with any other purchase.

To take a positive out of the last 2 day's nonsense on here, I would give the rudder hinge a good check to confirm it is up to the usual high standard.

For what it's worth. Those who are considering purchasing an RP, read the first 198 pages of this thread and take the last 2 with a pinch of salt. You do the maths...
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Last edited by Siggy101; Mar 27, 2011 at 03:39 AM. Reason: awful iPad spelling corrections!!!
Old Mar 27, 2011, 07:47 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Not such a good idea eh?
I went looking for where I had read that. First thing was an article that said you can blow your receiver switching the wires like that.

Should have looked first and posted second.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:31 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,107 Posts
Servo Reversing

If you really want to reverse the rotation of a servo, here is what is involved. First you must disassemble the servo. Second you must remove and reverse the two wires going from the PC board to the servo motor. Third you must remove and reverse the two outer wires going to the feedback pot on the gear output shaft. Fourth you have to recenter the feedback pot to reset the servo centerpoint neutral. Lastly, you can reassemble the servo.

This process is the only way I have found that will reverse the resident rotation of servo. It takes a lot of patience and some darn good soldering skills.

You can also just buy a reversing servo extension that will do the same thing, but it is external to the servo.

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Jun 07, 2011 at 03:57 AM.