HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2011, 07:52 PM
Joined Feb 2005
12 Posts
Hey was wondering if the all six servos are the same?
Thanks
Chuck
Chuck C is offline Find More Posts by Chuck C
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:10 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck C View Post
Hey was wondering if the all six servos are the same?
Thanks
Chuck
The flaps are digital with metal gears, others are analog.
Parts List.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:15 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targetlocman View Post
Thanks Rick. Can't wait to get into it.
If you're into mods, you might want to buy or make fairings to protect the servos and linkages under the wing. The unprotected servos can hang on landing and sometimes it causes damage.
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Mar 05, 2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 08:55 PM
Titusville Fl
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
I read guys having troubles finding the proper props. I would like more UMPH power. A bit more aggressive prop would do...I know the problem was finding one that clears the nose cone and folds properly.

What ended up being the right part to get?
Sproket13 is offline Find More Posts by Sproket13
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:13 PM
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Hi Greg,

Just set your radio in the neutral positions and trim all the clevises/rods by hand till you have them as perfect as you get them.
If there is anything that doesn't adjust itself mechanically you use the subtrim. I'm using an Aurora 9 Tx.
Not much has changed in those 10 years, has it?

I never use the sub trim if not necessary. Neither do I use options 2 and 4.

Barnowl,

Thank you. You answered my question exactly. I slightly misunderstand you about not ever using option 4, but it seems to be what you're recommending to me (making a manual adjustment at the control surface). Could you please clarify?

Thank you,
Greg
brokeitagain is offline Find More Posts by brokeitagain
Old Mar 05, 2011, 10:37 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sproket13 View Post
I read guys having troubles finding the proper props. I would like more UMPH power. A bit more aggressive prop would do...I know the problem was finding one that clears the nose cone and folds properly.

What ended up being the right part to get?
The Graupner 11x8 folds more or less flat. The holes have to be enlarged somewhat. I have flown it, but haven't used it much since I was slope soaring. Others have reported a lot more oomph. You probably would want to pair it with a higher-power battery, like a 25 or 30 C, 1300 mAhr one.

See photos and description a few pages back, or maybe on the other thread.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Mar 05, 2011, 11:55 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Hi Greg,

Just set your radio in the neutral positions and trim all the clevises/rods by hand till you have them as perfect as you get them.
If there is anything that doesn't adjust itself mechanically you use the subtrim. I'm using an Aurora 9 Tx.
Not much has changed in those 10 years, has it?

I never use the sub trim if not necessary. Neither do I use options 2 and 4.
Broke It, this is what i do as well, just unhook the rod and screw it in or out to get the surface where you want it

sound advice BarnOwl

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Mar 06, 2011, 03:42 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeitagain View Post
Barnowl,

Thank you. You answered my question exactly. I slightly misunderstand you about not ever using option 4, but it seems to be what you're recommending to me (making a manual adjustment at the control surface). Could you please clarify?

Thank you,
Greg
Ok, that was a typo....ment 2 and 3, not 4. Fixed it in the original post, sorry.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Mar 06, 2011, 11:19 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
If you're into mods, you might want to buy or make fairings to protect the servos and linkages under the wing. The unprotected servos can hang on landing and sometimes it causes damage.
Yes I ordered those tonite. Although ultimately I think I like the idea of catching it instead of belly landing. But in the beginning it will be belly landed for sure.

I have a bunch of different sullivan rod (I've built a few scale helis), including the golden rod and some metal cable stuff too. I might just swap out the push rods in the very beginning.

By the way for people new to golden rod, be sure to support the outer tube for as much of its length as possible. If you allow it to move anywhere your controls will lose authority. The golden rod instructions leave you with the impression that you only need to support the ends and a few points inbetween. But believe me if you support it all the way you will have much better results. I suppose on a light foamy it's not critical, but why not make it as good as it can be?
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Mar 07, 2011, 12:37 AM
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Apr 2002
539 Posts
Wanna Build a Radian Pro From Scratch ?

Guys,

I decided to build a Radian Pro from "scratch" using the available airframe parts from PZ. If you want to do the same here are my meanderings on my experience:

There a couple of key bits and pieces that you will not be able to get as regular parts from PZ, namely the wing spar, the screws needed to bolt the motor of your choice to the firewall, and those pesky wing screws.

In addition, I decided to order one of sotog's most excellent aluminum motor mounts to accomodate the Turnigy 35-36C that I am using.

First, the spar...This is not included in the RP wing kit. Not to worry, for about $10 you can get a great carbon replacement. I purchased part no. TUP-14 (.375"OD x .290"ID x 48") from Aerospace Composites for $10.75. I live very near their shop so I just stopped by and picked one up.

I was concerned about the screws after calling HH and learning that they couldn't scrounge around and find me a set, but my concerns were unfounded after a trip to my local old-school hardware store.

For the wings you'll need 2x 20mm x 3mm, about $.20 each.

For the motor mount I picked up 4x 5mm x 3mm. I could only find round head but there is ample length on the motor shaft to move the prop adapter forward the 2mm to insure clearance with the back of the spinner plate.

I don't know the exact pitch of the threads for these screws. My local hardware store only had these screws with a fine thread and they fit great.

For the airframe parts you'll need the following (check for current prices, etc):

Spinner $6.99
Canopy $3.49
Main RP Fuse $28.79
Horz. Stab $10.44
RP Wing $36.54

Airframe components: $86.25. I ordered a prop, an additional firewall
and a few other things to get to the $100 amount to qualify for free shipping.

*Note that the wing kit includes the horns and clevises for for the flaps and alierons as well as the tape to cover the servo leads.

The stab also includes the necessary control horn.

To complete the project you will need to build or buy the appropriate servo extensions for the flaps and alierons, servos, an ESC, a motor, and the rcvr of your choice.

If you're like me you may have a lot of this stuff lying around from past projects or from that last mail order that just arrived

If you're comfortable using third party components the Turnigy 35-36C sells for about $25, and a Turnigy Plush 30A ESC for about $12. The popular HXT900's are about $3, as examples. Freight is of course extra.

I'm using HiTec HS-65's for the rudder and elevator. They fit nicely and have more power to move long push rods and I had a pair in nice shape.

This has been a fun and easy project. I didn't really save a ton of money but
I know that I've got the components I want installed the way I want.

I've included a few pics of the wing and motor screws, the motor mount and the firewall showing the round head screw I'm using.

Go build your own, it's easy.

:harry
harrye is online now Find More Posts by harrye
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:41 AM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
246 Posts
OK, so I got out to my first visit to the new flying club yesterday. It is a lovely little place with a good sized clubhouse even though it is miles from anywhere.
Unfortunately the wind was blowing in from the north west which is rather unusual around here so we were on the lee of the hill. Not great conditions but hey, you can't have it all.

The guys were very friendly. The old boys were great to chat with and the 2 teenagers flying their Bulgarian gliders were very impressive. They were flying formation circuits with loops and rolls with one of them flying inverted the whole time. Smartarse!

They all wanted to meet the new boy and look over the plane. All were pretty impressed with the craft and it got the seal of approval.

One of the veterans showed me round the clubhouse (large shed). They had kittedit out with solar cells to run lights and a fantastic charging station for your batteries. Clever!
The is a small honesty bar with both soft drinks and beers, BBQ, tables etc. I can see that it will be a rather nice place to spend a sunny afternoon.

I got a couple of flights in but it really was a bit too bumpy for my foamie. I had a scary moment when I hit a pocket of something yucky and the wings flexed awfully. Not the behaviour I was hoping for from my pride and joy but hey, you can't have it all from a foam sailplane. I didn't let the side down though as I managed to put the first landing straight at my feet. I'm not sure that they believed me that it was only my third outing with the RP!!

All in all, I am a happy boy. My RP now has a 'home field' with some other sailplanes (they only allow gliders and electric) and I can learn from the wealth of knowledge. Who knows, in a few years, I might be able to pass on some of mine.

Now to find out how much the membership costs....
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Mar 07, 2011, 03:04 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
Nice Siggy,Yea join that club,Seems they are great. you'll always learn something from other people. Like anything in life. I joined a Club last year,and i love it. Ill get my Wings this Season.
I cant wait to get the Pro up and see if i can catch some thermals. Were on farmland,And there's a Huge tilled farm on the other side of a tree line that runs parallel with our runway. I know there's thermals there ,I caught my first one on the tree line this winter, It was a weak therm but enough to make me realize i was in one!!
So if there there in the winter,i know there going to be there this summer.

Haven't had a flight now in quite sometime. Weather/Winter is very unforgiving here. If its not snowing its blowing gale winds. Im itching for Spring. Tuesday is calling for warm 6C lol. that warm when your used too -10 -15C. But i think its calling for Rain/showers so...;0(
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2011, 06:06 AM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Nice Siggy,Yea join that club,Seems they are great. you'll always learn something from other people. Like anything in life. I joined a Club last year,and i love it. Ill get my Wings this Season.
I cant wait to get the Pro up and see if i can catch some thermals. Were on farmland,And there's a Huge tilled farm on the other side of a tree line that runs parallel with our runway. I know there's thermals there ,I caught my first one on the tree line this winter, It was a weak therm but enough to make me realize i was in one!!
So if there there in the winter,i know there going to be there this summer.

Haven't had a flight now in quite sometime. Weather/Winter is very unforgiving here. If its not snowing its blowing gale winds. Im itching for Spring. Tuesday is calling for warm 6C lol. that warm when your used too -10 -15C. But i think its calling for Rain/showers so...;0(
Yep, I emailed the president on the train journey in to work this morning. Let's hope he comes back to me soon.

They were saying that the club gets massive thermal activity due to it being in a bowl that faces SW with darker ploughed fields at the bottom. It also faces the prevailing winds so flyways are not a huge risk.

It's all coming together for my little Radian Pro
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Mar 07, 2011, 08:16 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2 Posts
Could you please send as pdf file
Colin R Paynter is offline Find More Posts by Colin R Paynter
Old Mar 07, 2011, 11:45 AM
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
Yep, I emailed the president on the train journey in to work this morning. Let's hope he comes back to me soon.

They were saying that the club gets massive thermal activity due to it being in a bowl that faces SW with darker ploughed fields at the bottom. It also faces the prevailing winds so flyways are not a huge risk.

It's all coming together for my little Radian Pro
uh oh, i see a 3 or 4 meter plane in siggy's future.
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot