HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2011, 10:04 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Try flying them with the gap...it's not like the plane will fall out of the sky or something.
+1 on that...
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:41 AM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer833 View Post
You'll love it!! Witch one did you get, the high wing or the low wing?

Rick
I went with the conventional high wing.
I am aware that some say the low wing will launch higher but it is my first DLG so I wanted to get the wing as far from the ground as possible when I make a hash of a landing.
I am 6'3" and pretty lanky so doubt I will be struggling for launch height.
I also got the carbon D-box wing for some added stiffnes and bling factor.
It is not common knowledge but he also does a ballast system for it. I got that too for the windier days or maybe a spot of light sloping.
I also got the carbon fuse with 2.4 friendly Kevlar nose and left that all unpainted. Seems bonkers to me to paint carbon!!

Bring on the 28th of March!
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Mar 02, 2011, 08:26 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Tried to "fix" the wing with balsa. I wasn't satisfied with the result so i had to order a new set of wings. Its a very aggravatting situation.
I covered the flap hinge gap with 10mil mylar and it works perfectly, flexing upward when the flaps reflex fully upward with the ailerons and laying flat otherwise. I found the mylar on a 3-ring notebook cover (transparent) at Staples. Just cut 1" strips and LIGHTLY glue them about 1/2" from the edge of the gap. Leave 1/4" unglued in front of the gap to allow flex. It works quite well.
jchunter is offline Find More Posts by jchunter
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:15 AM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
but it is my first DLG

If this is your first DLG build I would look at the DVDs from Radio Carbon Arts on building DLGs. I have 3 of them and got so much out of then. The TS2 was first REAL DLG build and it wouldn't have turned out half as good as it did if not for the info I got from the DVDs. On the first test glide with a gentle hand toss the plane flow away dead strait and level with NO TRIM needed and landed 40 yards away. This was first time I ever maidened a pane that didn't even need one clik of trim. I have taken the tips from these DVDs and use them in all builds now, even if it's a sport plane, 3D, giant gasser or whatever.

http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...3-DVD-Set.html

Rick
hammer833 is offline Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:18 AM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer833 View Post
If this is your first DLG build I would look at the DVDs from Radio Carbon Arts on building DLGs. I have 3 of them and got so much out of then. The TS2 was first REAL DLG build and it wouldn't have turned out half as good as it did if not for the info I got from the DVDs. On the first test glide with a gentle hand toss the plane flow away dead strait and level with NO TRIM needed and landed 40 yards away. This was first time I ever maidened a pane that didn't even need one clik of trim. I have taken the tips from these DVDs and use them in all builds now, even if it's a sport plane, 3D, giant gasser or whatever.

http://www.radiocarbonart.com/produc...3-DVD-Set.html

Rick
Yep, ihave been looking at them and almost ordered one last weekend. People seem to think they are worth the cash and your testimony sounds compelling.

Anyone got a used DLG building one they want to sell? I spent all my cash on the DLG!!!
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:51 AM
Klutzsquatch
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Oct 2006
391 Posts
c/g

Maybe i missed it, but did any of you have to add tail weight to get the plane to balance at the 70mm from leading edge balance point? I added approx. an 1/2 oz to balance with a 1300mah battery.
mgroves is offline Find More Posts by mgroves
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:08 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgroves View Post
Maybe i missed it, but did any of you have to add tail weight to get the plane to balance at the 70mm from leading edge balance point? I added approx. an 1/2 oz to balance with a 1300mah battery.
Most people have a CG around 77mm back from the edge unless they move the battery forward a lot out of the compartment. That's a good location for a lot of people, though.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:16 PM
Klutzsquatch
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Oct 2006
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
Most people have a CG around 77mm back from the edge unless they move the battery forward a lot out of the compartment. That's a good location for a lot of people, though.
My manual notes the c/g at 70mm from leading edge...so you are indicating that the balance point it is back further, but then slide the battery forward to compensate...sounds strange or am i missing someting? Where did the 77mm come from?
mgroves is offline Find More Posts by mgroves
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:40 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
The February Radian Pro Big Sky contest has concluded and the top times were impressive.

The March Big Sky is open but this month we welcome the Original Radian pilots to the party. Let the soaring begin
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Mar 02, 2011, 12:58 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
dlg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
I went with the conventional high wing.
I am aware that some say the low wing will launch higher but it is my first DLG so I wanted to get the wing as far from the ground as possible when I make a hash of a landing.
I am 6'3" and pretty lanky so doubt I will be struggling for launch height.
I also got the carbon D-box wing for some added stiffnes and bling factor.
It is not common knowledge but he also does a ballast system for it. I got that too for the windier days or maybe a spot of light sloping.
I also got the carbon fuse with 2.4 friendly Kevlar nose and left that all unpainted. Seems bonkers to me to paint carbon!!

how about moving the dlg stuff to the handlaunch area ?
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Mar 02, 2011, 01:39 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
My manual notes the c/g at 70mm from leading edge...so you are indicating that the balance point it is back further, but then slide the battery forward to compensate...sounds strange or am i missing someting? Where did the 77mm come from?
Putting the battery in the battery compartment doesn't provide the manual's recommended 70 mm CG location for most people; it makes the real CG more like 77mm. To get 70mm you would need to move the battery forward, almost all the way out of the battery compartment. You would need to measure yours to see if this is true for you also, and experiment to see what CG you prefer. A lot of people like the further-back CG.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Mar 02, 2011, 05:53 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,441 Posts
Quote:
As for adding weight too the tail at 70mm ,thats a first ive heard of someone having to do that at the 70mm. From what i had to do at 70mm was add weight too the Nose,and thats with the Battery 80% out of holding area...
Either something Seriously wrong with your Pro or something..Is there a oz of glue on your nose or something? lol
At 70mm, where is your Battery located to? All the ways in the hole,50% out etc...?

Quote:
My manual notes the c/g at 70mm from leading edge...so you are indicating that the balance point it is back further, but then slide the battery forward to compensate...sounds strange or am i missing something? Where did the 77mm come from?
77mm came from Me!!! A few pages ago i wrote my Bit about how i come too have it at 77mm. Back when the Pro came out there was only a few of us first owners here.. this tread has Grow To big. Crazy that ive read every Page/post.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:00 PM
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2009
1,075 Posts
Quick question... I'm building up a Radian Pro from parts... I received everything today BUT the carbon fiber spar!!! I figured it would be with the wing set Horizon does not list the spar as a separate piece.

Anyway, I need a spar... is there anything special about the spar? any reason I can't go to my local kite shop(he sells us airplane guys carbon fiber out of the back door) and buy a 10mm tube? It looks to be nothing more than a straight tube in the manual.

I'm going to call horizon and ask about the spar in the morning but I don't think they will have me one by the weekend... if I can just go buy a 10mm tube I can fly it this weekend

John
shultz is offline Find More Posts by shultz
Last edited by shultz; Mar 02, 2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:14 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Shultz,
Why would you build one up from parts rather than just buying one? Just curious.

Guys, should we tell Shultz the secret about the spar tube?
JumpySticks is online now Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Mar 02, 2011, 09:16 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shultz View Post
Quick question... I'm building up a Radian Pro from parts... I received everything today BUT the carbon fiber spar!!! I figured it would be with the wing set Horizon does not list the spar as a separate piece.

Anyway, I need a spar... is there anything special about the spar? any reason I can't go to my local kite shop(he sells us airplane guys carbon fiber out of the back door) and buy a 10mm tube? It looks to be nothing more than a straight tube in the manual.

I'm going to call horizon and ask about the spar in the morning but I don't think they will have me one by the weekend... if I can just go buy a 10mm tube I can fly it this weekend

John
I have heard that getting this spar tube has been a problem. See if you can get an arrow shaft. Should be long enough and would probably be stronger than the Radian spar.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr