HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2011, 01:32 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post

Best case is lightest amount of weight to correct, out at the wing tip.
In most case I wind up taping a coin to the bottom of the wing. Others have put a screw into the end of the wing, again what ever works best and brings it into balance.

Mike R
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
BarnOwl: I also put two pennys under the right wing tip. Balanced the plane laterally perfectly. 24 beautiful flights later......love every minute!
Ok, that makes me a lot happier! Knowing I'm not the only one......
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:03 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
spoilers

Just to set things straight. Spoilers are on top of the wing usually right behind the spar. You have flaps why mess up a good thing by adding spoilers?
1/8 reflex should be plenty at least it is on mine. Rehinging is a good idea esp when compared to butchering the wing. If you want more bevel just sand a small amount in on bottom. But reallty not needed after you looen things up you can get nearly 90 degrees of flap. You would need no bevel at all on top.
Crow well on this plane its not needed.If I had a version one I would add flaps rather than spoilers unless there is some contest that doesnt allow flaps but will allow spoilers.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:19 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
You have flaps why mess up a good thing by adding spoilers?

He already explained why.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:28 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Check this out Siggy,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397050

I'm thinking about getting one. Nice and cheap way to crash
I'm thinking about this one:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKAG3&P=ML

Rick N
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:40 AM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
674 Posts
Do some reading before buying, this one has a rep of being very heavy, easily trashed on landing, not many people like it, I almost bought one but will go a little higher in price for something better. Right now I have Alula from Dream-flight to throw around, and love it for SAL glider.
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post

Rick N
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Mar 01, 2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:23 AM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddruck View Post
Do some reading before buying, this one has a rep of being very heavy, easily trashed on landing, not many people like it, I almost bought one but will go a little higher in price for something better. Right now I have Alula from Dream-flight to throw around, and love it for SAL glider.
Dan
I would have to agree Rick. Having done a fair bit of research into first DLGs over the last couple of months, I would not entertain the fling. It is not designed first and foremost as a DLG and might not be a very good compromise.
If you have time on your hands, I will gladly fire up a thread on my impressions of the Predator 2 from the perspective of a first time builder and beginner sailplane pilot. I fear there may be one build thread followed by a handful of rebuild threads!,

Meanwhile, go Radian Pro!
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Mar 01, 2011, 11:45 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Thanks, All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
I would have to agree Rick. Having done a fair bit of research into first DLGs over the last couple of months, I would not entertain the fling. It is not designed first and foremost as a DLG and might not be a very good compromise.
If you have time on your hands, I will gladly fire up a thread on my impressions of the Predator 2 from the perspective of a first time builder and beginner sailplane pilot. I fear there may be one build thread followed by a handful of rebuild threads!,

Meanwhile, go Radian Pro!
I have an RP. The idea of flinging a machine into the air really appeals to me.

I looked at the Predator, and it is just a tiny bit out of my price range now - maybe I should postpone the purchase until I can afford it.

Thanks.

Rick N
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Mar 01, 2011, 03:33 PM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:

I looked at the Predator, and it is just a tiny bit out of my price range now - maybe I should postpone the purchase until I can afford it.

Thanks.

Rick N
I would. In fact I did. I have rolled up a birthday pressie and my own cash to get it. Let's hope it is worth it
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:32 PM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
598 Posts
Quote:

Rick N
Rick I got one of these two years ago and after finishing the build the AUW was 1/2oz less then the manufacturers min AUW. This is still 5.5ozs too heavy for a DGL of this size. I threw this thing as hard as I could and only got a 60' launch and it was a lead sled in the air. The average flight time was less them 30sec. It would make a great sloper but you will be disappointed with it as a DLG.

For a bit more $$ you can get a Top Sky 1.1 or 2 Viper or a PredatorII and you will MUCH happier. I have a TS2 and get 120' to 160' on an average launch and I'm a 50+, over wait, out of shape couch potato. Making a 2min flight without finding any lift is easy and the smallest mouse fart of a thermal will keep her in the air. On a far day flights of 5-15mins are not that hard to come by. Just MHO.

Rick up north
hammer833 is offline Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:37 PM
Rick
Joined Apr 2007
598 Posts
Quote:

Thanks.

Rick N
Take a look at this one:http://www.hobbyclub.com/product_inf...49c3adff48735d

It's more then the Fling but it's a real DLG.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 04:40 PM
Rick
Joined Apr 2007
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
I would. In fact I did. I have rolled up a birthday pressie and my own cash to get it. Let's hope it is worth it
You'll love it!! Witch one did you get, the high wing or the low wing?

Rick
Old Mar 01, 2011, 07:07 PM
Titusville Fl
Joined Jan 2011
113 Posts
Hey guys, after reading some in this thread. i went and checked my planes CG across the length of the plane. Ended up being VERY heavy on the left. I had to tape 2 nickels about 3" away from the wing tip...now its very balanced. I still need to make sure my plane is more balance, because I'm almost sure it is everywhere! hard to keep it from going to fast or stalling. cant find an inbetween, and I have a 1.3/1.6/2.2 battery. Need more flight time to figure out what i like, and where the CG is..

This is how i check my micros...Not sure the RP will fit...

I really want to get rolls down with it to. I never really gave it rudder input because I was trying to only use the ailerons. Hopefully weather is good tomorrow...super windy past 2 days.
Sproket13 is offline Find More Posts by Sproket13
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:34 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Tried to "fix" the wing with balsa. I wasn't satisfied with the result so i had to order a new set of wings. Its a very aggravatting situation.
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:52 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Well, maybe just put the new wings on when you get them and fly it. It really may not need any changes. You may have a better idea what it needs then if it needs anything at all. Good luck.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:59 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Tried to "fix" the wing with balsa. I wasn't satisfied with the result so i had to order a new set of wings. Its a very aggravatting situation.
Try flying them with the gap...it's not like the plane will fall out of the sky or something.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks