HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:28 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
BarnOwl: I also put two pennys under the right wing tip. Balanced the plane laterally perfectly. 24 beautiful flights later......love every minute!
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:37 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
I think I'm the only one who has switched just recently to a small battery I'm using a 3s 1000 mah.. I added some weight to the tail and man this things really does much better. Again this is how I like to fly. It's a perfect balance.. I think my cg is 3 1/2 inches back of LE. It flies nice and level no trim needed. And it is a little floatier.

I also took the advise from everyone about the warning about butterfly and crow.. Well o started to use this and now I can turn it off it's amazing. I love it I can land so nice and brings it down fast which is nice for ales comps.

Okay so anyone with a aurora please pm me your setups. I have butterfly in right slider but I prefer it on throtle stick. That's where o have the flaps at now. I would like to move flaps to RS. And throttle is okay on LS or even on throttle stick if a launch mode can disable motor from throttle... Any help would be awesome.
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Old Feb 28, 2011, 07:38 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Duplicate
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Old Feb 28, 2011, 08:44 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Quick question guys... I decided to bevel the flaps on my radian pro to use spoilers, but I put the bevel on top as oppossed to on the bottom like the ailerons. Is this going to affect the plane by having that empty space ontop of the wing?
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Last edited by yellowcolorado; Feb 28, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:52 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I don't think the flaps will work very well as spoilers.
Spoilers are normally on top of the wing near the spar.
Yes, a gap on top of the wing will increase drag when the flaps are in the normal position by breaking the airflow over the top of the wing.
Not a good idea IMHO.
Laminar airflow.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:04 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
OK so the only wy to remedy this problem is to fit in a piece of balsa and sand it to the right dimensions just to get back where I started...
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:07 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
OK so the only wy to remedy this problem is to fit in a piece of balsa and sand it to the right dimensions just to get back where I started...
Wait for other opinions, but you can order replacements very cheap. $5.99 a pair.
Radian Pro parts.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:11 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
My dumbass cut into the wing. I have no clue what I was thinking. The bevel is about the same size as the underside bevel of the aileron. Like I said my intention was spoilers and full span ailerons. The spoilers do decrease lift. I had them on 2 other of my planes, 1 which was a regular radian.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:27 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
That's a pretty big bevel. Guess the balsa would work. Maybe cut a piece of foam bevel from the storage carton and glue it to the wing?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:38 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
That could be done, but the blaso would sand better. Im curious though, about the info you posted abouve jumpy. Does that really only apply to the top of the wing or top and bottom?
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:39 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
I cut a wedge off of my flaps so that I could do reflex with the flaps. It didn't take much, but I doubt there's much aerodynamic difference between a small lip, a small gap and a medium-sized gap. Any of them would trip the boundary layer if it's not already turbulent by then. I know on some planes (the speedo) spoilerons are preferred to flaperons for landing, so it doesn't strike me as being an immediately stupid idea. I'd try it and see how it goes before you try to fix it.

On the other hand, I have noticed that my flaps are not very straight, and not at all stiff, so I have been considering replacing my control surfaces with balsa anyway, just to get a little more precision.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:52 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,567 Posts
Yellow!! I take it you have not flown her sense doing that Mod? It may not make much of a difference/Making it Un-flyable. As for your Question ,Yes... Top of wing Need clean/Smooth air ,versus the bottom. It well cause a disturbance in airflow over the top of wing,but you may not even notice it. Fly it and check it out..
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:13 AM
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
I havent even flown the bird once yet lol. I figured while I was putting it together, I might as well make all the modifications at once. Well I havent dont the other wing yet, so I think ill just go ahead and fix it before I screw up 2 wings...
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:19 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
That could be done, but the blaso would sand better. Im curious though, about the info you posted abouve jumpy. Does that really only apply to the top of the wing or top and bottom?
No gaps at all would be best, but given a preference, a gap on the bottom has less effect because the airflow is being pressed against the wing. Laminar flow returns soon after the gap is passed. On top, the wing is drawn away from the turbulent airflow because of the curvature, and so laminar flow is not as quickly re-established.

Unless you're flying inverted.
Old Mar 01, 2011, 12:32 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
I cut a wedge off of my flaps so that I could do reflex with the flaps. It didn't take much, but I doubt there's much aerodynamic difference between a small lip, a small gap and a medium-sized gap. Any of them would trip the boundary layer if it's not already turbulent by then. I know on some planes (the speedo) spoilerons are preferred to flaperons for landing, so it doesn't strike me as being an immediately stupid idea. I'd try it and see how it goes before you try to fix it.

On the other hand, I have noticed that my flaps are not very straight, and not at all stiff, so I have been considering replacing my control surfaces with balsa anyway, just to get a little more precision.
I started to cut my flaps when I first got mine because reflex was just giving me screaming servos. The flaps come with a slight built in bevel to allow for reflex of about the thickness of the trailing edge, and that's plenty. What I soon discovered is that the chimps who assembled the plane had not left enough of a gap when hinging the flaps. I simply rehinged the flaps leaving enough play to take full advantage of the bevel, so I have about a 1/8" reflex action. My flaps are not straight either, they bow, with the cupped side facing downward. It's visually irritating but I see no effect in flight.