HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 27, 2011, 11:27 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsinger1 View Post
CG is too far forward...move it back. Mine is at 77mm and could use going back a tad further.

Don
+1 on that. Ill never go back too 70mm. Right form the beginning i had it at 77mm(Mis-read the Manual) After finding out the Actually Recommended CG distance was 70mm i tried it for a few flights.
Right from the get go after seeing how far the Batt had to be out of the compartment 80% plus Weight to the nose to even come close too getting a nose down attitude for penetration.
Suffice to say!! having it at 70mm didn't last long and went back too 77mm.

This is where the batt Sits at 77mm. As you can see its out a touch more then the bottom Picture. I think its was Windy that day...

I drew a couple of line as reference marks. Forward line for forward CG(Windy days)
Mid line for Avg winds Neutral CG
And Aft Line for those calm floaty days.

I just slide the Batt to one of the lines for the conditions that day.
Having too add Velcro or something to keep your battery in place while at 70mm(cause its sitting out so far) is nonsense.
Try 77mm you may like it!!!
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:26 AM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian A View Post
Here it is...
Of course, as soon as I posted, I made a new DX8 program that changed a bunch of stuff. After playing with it some more, I broke down and decided to try landing with my left hand wrapped around to the right side of the transmitter to stay on the Aux 3 knob. It will be awkward and require using the next strap, but it seems doable. Now the knob gives me continuous control of flaps, plus adds in crow for higher flap deflections. The flap switch just makes a new "centerline" for the flaps at each of the 3 positions, and then I can use the knob to reduce flaps from there, or add flaps + crow. This way, I can experiment by adding crow from the cruise position, a mid-flap position, or the full flap position. After I fly it, if it seems to work o.k. I'll re-post it here.
Adrian A is offline Find More Posts by Adrian A
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:06 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
cg

You guys with CG problems have me worried. My Pro flew well at 70 mm But now after about 50 flights I decided to make it 77mm. All you guys are saying that your batteries are forward far enough to touch the esc. My stock battery at 70 mm was as the manual showed it. To get 77 I had to push it another inch or two farther aft . Problem is now I am gun shy and am almost afraid to fly it at all. I use a wing machine to check cg. I am a lone eagle (no flying buddies to check me out) so I depend on you guys.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:11 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,363 Posts
So when your at 70mm you battery is not out of the Hole like alot? If it is,i would not worry about it. My may concern was the battery falling out and then flopping around in there. Do what ever works best for you.

Im a lone eagle as well. lol
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Feb 28, 2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 09:23 AM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsinger1 View Post
CG is too far forward...move it back. Mine is at 77mm and could use going back a tad further.

Don
Thanks Don and EastCoast. I think you are right guys.
I much preferred the CG further back in my maidens position. I had to hang it waaaay out there to get to the recommended CG and that feels just wrong.
I will go back to my original position but maybe not quite.

Note to self: CG too far forwards does not just result in the nose dropping. It makes the bugger almost unflyable!!
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:30 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,123 Posts
CG setting...

Take a read here folks.

Link to post on CG and a few more below...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=40

and a link to the thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371863

It only takes a few flights to set it up and once you do you will be a lot happier with thermaling the RP.

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:39 AM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
Take a read here folks.

Link to post on CG and a few more below...http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=40

and a link to the thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371863

It only takes a few flights to set it up and once you do you will be a lot happier with thermaling the RP.

Mike R
Funny you should mention that as, although it was a bit too windy to be scientific, I did have a half hearted attempt at a dive test.
I have never done it before but I remembered reading that post on here and thought it would be worth a stab.
It pulled out of the dive straight away.

From this, we can safely assume that I was nose heavy therefore had too much up elevator trim dialed in to compensate and as soon as I picked up speed, that up elevator became more and more effective at lifting the nose hence the poroising. Seems arse about face but logical when looked at like that.

Battery shall be unceremoniously shoved back from whence it came with immediate effect!!!!

Thanks again guys. Being a 'lone wolf' for the moment too, your help is unbelievably well received.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:47 AM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDunk View Post
Porpoising and CG
I am having the same issues. To get the GC into range I had to move the batt so for forward it's touching the ESC. CG is now perfect but I'm still having trouble with the porpoising. Also when I climb out at 3/4 power I have to keep pushing the nose down to keep it from going vertical, stalling and droping a wing.
My only thought is that the porpoising seems to be worse the higher I am so I wonder if it's because I can't see the plane as well and making sloppy inputs.

Siggy101 have you decided on a DLG Model?
Hey Dunk,

The order for a shiny new high wing, carbon D-box winged, carbon/Kevlar (unpainted) podded, neon green (topside) and orange (underside) beauty was placed this afternoon. One month from now, the big build begins!!

Also, over the weekend, I got news back containing an invite to the local gliding club. Sweet!
Once the weather clears up again, I shall be soaring on the windward side of the hill behind my house overlooking lake Zurich. Sounds awesome!
I should be able to pick up some useful tips from the locals as gliding is massive over here, both model and full scale.
Last edited by Siggy101; Feb 28, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 11:51 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
747 Posts
Imbalance

I noticed an imbalance between right- and leftwing on my RP.
I fixed it with putting some weight under the lesser wing. I sticked a coin under it.

Does anyone have the same issue? Or am I just a bit too careful? Maybe it's my heli experience....... I have not flown it yet because it's just too windy and rainy......
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I fixed it with putting some weight under the lesser wing. I sticked a coin under it.

Does anyone have the same issue? Or am I just a bit too careful? Maybe it's my heli experience....... I have not flown it yet because it's just too windy and rainy......
I have noticed that, too. It may be due to the flap servos being mounted in the same direction, rather than mirrored, so that when you hook up a Y cable they will both move in the same direction.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:04 PM
Rocket geek
Highlands Ranch, CO
Joined Dec 2007
651 Posts
Quote:

I have noticed that, too. It may be due to the flap servos being mounted in the same direction, rather than mirrored, so that when you hook up a Y cable they will both move in the same direction.

That threw me for a bit when I was installing my servo covers, (Why is one of my servo pairs backwards!) until I realized what was going on and just decided to mount the cover without worrying about whether the rectangular part was actually over the servo.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:25 PM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,123 Posts
Quote:

This is refered to as Lateral Balance. All airplanes no matter how small or large should be checked and balanced lateraly.

It generaly is not to much of an issue on the Foam sail planes, unless of course it's a ton. Reason is were not pulling vertical lines and hovering them like a pattern or 3D ship.

But it should be done.

I simply make sure the tail can rest solidly on a table lift the nose by the prop, hold the wings level(use one if you need) and let go. The wing should not fall consistantly to one side. If you have trouble with the tail put a straight pin in the bottom and rest it on the pin. Don't let it rest on the rudder fin.

Best case is lightest amount of weight to correct, out at the wing tip.
In most case I wind up taping a coin to the bottom of the wing. Others have put a screw into the end of the wing, again what ever works best and brings it into balance.

Mike R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:47 PM
Joined Jan 2011
32 Posts
Thank you all for the CG talk, I'll try it when I get back home.

Siggy, sounds like your going in a good direction, I'm going to keep it simple for my first DLG, Quick Flick 2 or Gambler AG
KDunk is offline Find More Posts by KDunk
Old Feb 28, 2011, 12:59 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,762 Posts
Check this out Siggy,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397050

I'm thinking about getting one. Nice and cheap way to crash
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Feb 28, 2011, 03:24 PM
No risk, no fun
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Check this out Siggy,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1397050

I'm thinking about getting one. Nice and cheap way to crash
Hey, looks like fun.
I went with the Predator 2 because I wanted a full house and full size DLG for bargain basement price. Nothing else out there seems to deliver as much bang for your buck as far as I can see.
Last edited by Siggy101; Mar 01, 2011 at 05:51 AM.