SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 22, 2011, 04:26 AM
Belgium (as long as it exists)
Joined Sep 2010
46 Posts
The answer is probably burried somewhere in the thread, but what's the stock battery/ESC connector on the BNF version?

Thx,
RexRun is offline Find More Posts by RexRun
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2011, 05:08 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,626 Posts
its the EC3...
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:46 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer833 View Post
All you have to do to get down out of a big boomer like that is turn on full crow and put her in a steep dive, about 70* to 80* nose down. The crow won't allow the plane to pick up too much speed in the dive, but enough to get you down out of a big thermal.

Thermal flying is the crack cocaine of RC.

snip...

Rick (from the land of the snow thermals)
BTW, you don't need crow to do this. Flaps alone will allow you to go into a steep dive without picking up too much speed.

All this focus on getting out of big thermals is really unnecessary. In 8 years of flying gliders I have never encountered a thermal that was so strong that I could not fly out of the lift by just putting the nose down a few degrees and flying out.

Where the "boomer" issue arises is when pilots get so hooked on the thrill of the ride that they forget to excercise good judgemet. They get drunk on the thrill and lose their planes. They allow their planes to get so high or so far away that they lose orientation or lose site of the glider.

"Wow! That was such a boomer I could not get out of it." Nonesense. You messed up and don't want to admit it.

I have seen new pilots "freeze" on the sticks and watch their planes being taken away. That is usually when I take the sticks an fly out of the lift for them. They would rather watch the plane dissapear into the sky then "make a mistake". Hey, letting your plane fly off is the biggest mistake you can make.

I suppose there are such boomers but I have yet to meet one. Oh I have been in thermals that were so strong that it was like going up in an elevator. Make one turn and pick up 100 feet. BUT, if I wanted out, I just took a heading out of the core and flew. If needed, I put he nose down a couple of degrees to get some speed. Note I said a couple of degrees, not a dive. I have never had to dive out of a thermal.

Diving inside a thermal is kind of an odd way to come down. You are basically diving into up flowing air. Better to leave the lift area and then come down.

The only time I have had to resort to flaps or spoilers to "get down" was when I was contest flying and I needed to come down quickly to make my time and my spot landing. I may use them by choice or convenience but that is quite different than need.

Guys, don't obsess over this issue of coming down from a big thermal. It is not that big of an issue. Use your head, don't get so high and so far away that you lose orientation on your plane and you will never have a problem.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:49 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,013 Posts
aeajr, well said.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:02 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,213 Posts
aeajar, I'm not going to argue your point as I feel what you have said is very valid.

What I am going to say is you have not yet experienced one that literaly takes over the aircraft. Your day may come.

I have and I was not to far away or to high to see orentation of the aircraft.
What I saw clearly was mother nature in a very viloent nature toss and tumble my aircraft as if there was no tomorrow.

I commented on this once before and said that in my case full motor power and a fight got me out of it.

The monsters are out there, allbeit far and few between. My fellow modelers that witness this couldn't believe I did get it back.

Yes I choose to venture into this as we could see the viloent nature of the clouds so I am guilty of puposely putting my plane in harms way, but it sure was a RUSH!

MIke R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:04 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
aeajar, I'm not going to argue your point as I feel what you have said is very valid.

What I am going to say is you have not yet experienced one that literaly takes over the aircraft. Your day may come.

I have and I was not to far away or to high to see orentation of the aircraft.
What I saw clearly was mother nature in a very viloent nature toss and tumble my aircraft as if there was no tomorrow.

I commented on this once before and said that in my case full motor power and a fight got me out of it.

The monsters are out there, allbeit far and few between. My fellow modelers that witness this couldn't believe I did get it back.

Yes I choose to venture into this as we could see the viloent nature of the clouds so I am guilty of puposely putting my plane in harms way, but it sure was a RUSH!

MIke R
I should be so lucky . . .

Rick N
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:09 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Yes, well said. It is like a swimmer in rip tide though. Beginners like you said panic and do the wrong thing. Being warned they can now keep from panicing and do the right thing. It sure helps to have someone with experience give advise and not have to learn the hard way.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:21 PM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Where the "boomer" issue arises is when pilots get so hooked on the thrill of the ride that they forget to excercise good judgemet. They get drunk on the thrill and lose their planes. They allow their planes to get so high or so far away that they lose orientation or lose site of the glider.

"Wow! That was such a boomer I could not get out of it." Nonesense. You messed up and don't want to admit it.

I have seen new pilots "freeze" on the sticks and watch their planes being taken away. That is usually when I take the sticks an fly out of the lift for them. They would rather watch the plane dissapear into the sky then "make a mistake". Hey, letting your plane fly off is the biggest mistake you can make.

I suppose there are such boomers but I have yet to meet one. Oh I have been in thermals that were so strong that it was like going up in an elevator. Make one turn and pick up 100 feet. BUT, if I wanted out, I just took a heading out of the core and flew. If needed, I put he nose down a couple of degrees to get some speed. Note I said a couple of degrees, not a dive. I have never had to dive out of a thermal.

Guys, don't obsess over this issue of coming down from a big thermal. It is not that big of an issue. Use your head, don't get so high and so far away that you lose orientation on your plane and you will never have a problem.
I do agree with you totally. The key statement though; is new thermal pilots get Drunk on the Thrill of flying in a big powerful thermal and before you can say " that's one heck of a thermal" your plane is a dot in the sky and still going up, it seems, faster then a space shuttle launch. But you are quite right, this is a newbie mistake and it seems a lot of the guys on this thread are fairly new to thermal soaring. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying this is the best way to get out of a thermal, it's not. All I'm saying is if you do get into a situation where your saying to yourself " Cool look at that thing climb, I'ev never seen one like that..... OH I can't see it any more Now What.... just hit the crow or flaps and get down to an altitude where you can see it and go look for another thermal. (don't ask how I know this can happen)

As for you never seeing a giant plane sucking thermal, you should come out to the prairies in the spring. We get massive thermals here. I have flown over a 1/4 section of black field on a sunny afternoon in late April when that whole 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile field was a thermal and going up like a freight train. That day I watched my buddy give his old Riser 100 (a 99" unpowered sailplane) a good hand toss and ride that thermal up until he specked it out. This isn't a rare thing up here in the spring, there is 2 or 3 weeks when the temps are in the 40*-50*F range, the fields are still black and the sun is strong that these kind of thermals are common, as long as the wind isn't howling, as it usually does at this time of year. That's why I hope the BIG SKY contest is still running in April.

Rick
hammer833 is offline Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Feb 22, 2011, 12:55 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
As for you never seeing a giant plane sucking thermal, you should come out to the prairies in the spring. We get massive thermals here. I have flown over a 1/4 section of black field on a sunny afternoon in late April when that whole 1/4 mile by 1/4 mile field was a thermal and going up like a freight train. That day I watched my buddy give his old Riser 100 (a 99" unpowered sailplane) a good hand toss and ride that thermal up until he specked it out. This isn't a rare thing up here in the spring, there is 2 or 3 weeks when the temps are in the 40*-50*F range, the fields are still black and the sun is strong that these kind of thermals are common, as long as the wind isn't howling, as it usually does at this time of year. That's why I hope the BIG SKY contest is still running in April.

Rick[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm looking for....the 160 acre thermal....gives me neck pain just thinking about it.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:46 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Just a uneducated guess but I suspect the thermals in the West and Mid West tend to be more powerful than those in the East.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:53 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Thanks for the feedback and comments guys. Certainly I am only one pilot. I, of course, have been in some big hat suckers but I do believe other areas of the country get bigger than what we get.

But as a new pilot, flying a Spirit, I had manged to get into a beautiful themal. No motor on this baby. The plane was flying so wonderfully and going up and traveling down wind. I was absolutely thrilled. I called to one of our senior pilots Ray, and said "look at that baby climb!".

Ray comes over, grabs the radio out of my hand and flies the plane 90 degrees for a good 20 seconds. He hands me the radio and says, " You were in a hat sucker. You were about 30 seconds from losing sight of the plane. Don't be so caught up in the moment that you forget that you are the pilot. "

I never forgot that day or that moment. I had no idea I was in trouble till he grabbed the radio. But, of course, he was right.

I have seen two planes taken into the sky, but in both cases the pilot got too far and too high and could not see well enough to get the plane down. Once it was an experienced pilot. And he said, "I should know better". He never blamed the sky, he was the pilot and the mistake was his. I have a lot of respect for him.

Anyway, as has been outlined in may places in this thread, ways to exit a thermal:

1) fly away from the core

2) put the nose down a little and fly away from the core

3) If you can't fly away from the core, put the rudder hard right or left and elevator hard up. - Will induce a stall spin that will lose altitude fast without gaining too much speed. Neutral elevator and oppostite rudder will bring it out. Make sure you leave yourself enough altitude to get back.

4) put the nose down 45 degrees with partial flaps extended - fly away from the core of the thermal. Add dive angle and/or flaps as needed to get out.

Usually flying a 45 to 90 degree angle in respect to your position will give you the best abilty to see what the glider is doing. Going directly toward or away from yourself makes it very hard to see what the plane is doing.

If you are unsure of your orientation, give the plane some strong rudder to the right, then a little up elevator. If the plane goes right you are flying away from your self. Once orientation is established, follow the above approaches starting with 1.

You don't need spoilers, flaps or crow to get out of a big thermal, but if you have the tools, by all means use them. And don't forget, you are the pilot.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 02:56 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
Just a uneducated guess but I suspect the thermals in the West and Mid West tend to be more powerful than those in the East.
That may be true but the thermals on the East have much sexier shapes.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:17 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
That may be true but the thermals on the East have much sexier shapes.
Yea, ours can be nasty, all those sucked up tumbleweeds and dust just aren't good for planes or people.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:15 PM
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
850 Posts
i'd think the only way to get out of one of those model eaters is to apply full power and hope your plane gets pointed outwards somehow, cuz there aint no flyin going on - the plane appears like a piece of trash.
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:37 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
....3) If you can't fly away from the core, put the rudder hard right or left and elevator hard up. - Will induce a stall spin that will lose altitude fast without gaining too much speed. Neutral elevator and oppostite rudder will bring it out. Make sure you leave yourself enough altitude to get back.
You mean back to the thermal, right?
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks