SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:11 AM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
First Lift

My Radian and I experienced our first thermals on Saturday. For this noobie, it was quite an experience. Now, I understand . . .

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:15 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroller View Post
Thanks for that! I'll try it tonight when I get home from work. Hope it's that simple...I'm getting back into the hobby after a six year hiatus and figuring this new stuff out is a bit challenging for me...I used to use a Profi 4000 Tx which I had down and by comparison the Aurora 9 is much easier to learn but the manual isn't super helpful...maybe I'm just getting old...

No problem.......I hope it works!
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:44 PM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
My Radian and I experienced our first thermals on Saturday. For this noobie, it was quite an experience. Now, I understand . . .

Rick
Unreal, isn't it?!?!
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Feb 21, 2011, 01:50 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroller View Post
Hoping someone can help me out here...trying to get Butterfly programmed into my RP and Aurora 9 and am real frustrated...can't get the ailerons to raise when the flaps are lowered...I assign a switch to B-Fly but when I get to the values screen it says butterfly off..the switch says on but can't get the mix to activate..I'm guessing the problem is with me rather than the radio...any suggestions/help? Thanks!
I will look at my setting on my Radio. I have the butterfly set up on the right slider. Flaps are on Throttle stick and throttle is on right slider. I think some place in one of there threads there is a downloadable setup if youhave the HPP-22

here is the link..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=307
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Old Feb 21, 2011, 02:19 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
Unreal, isn't it?!?!
I was talkiing with my brother about it today.

When we were kids, flying free-flight with Cox 020's, a thermal was the enemy.

A thermal was the way you lost your plane - and we did from time to time.

Come on, Weather!

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Feb 21, 2011, 03:43 PM
Tallahassee, Florida
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykayak75 View Post
I will look at my setting on my Radio. I have the butterfly set up on the right slider. Flaps are on Throttle stick and throttle is on right slider. I think some place in one of there threads there is a downloadable setup if youhave the HPP-22

here is the link..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=307
Thanks for that! I'm going to be working on it tonight and hopefully I can get things sorted out.
rcroller is offline Find More Posts by rcroller
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:06 PM
How do YOU hold your wings on?
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
Radian Pro PNP ailerons whinnning!

My new Radian Pro PNP has ailerons that make noise ALL the time before I take off and after landing.
Can't see any reason why they would be sticking....anyone else with this problem?
jasonbadboy is offline Find More Posts by jasonbadboy
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:09 PM
How do YOU hold your wings on?
Joined Dec 2010
9 Posts
radian PRO rudder does very little

I used to be able to hang in the air with my old radian with no ailerons and flaps and now with my Pro when I try and not spill air with my ailerons,...and just use rudder...it seems very ineffectual. Anyone else feel this?
jasonbadboy is offline Find More Posts by jasonbadboy
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:37 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbadboy View Post
My new Radian Pro PNP has ailerons that make noise ALL the time before I take off and after landing.
Can't see any reason why they would be sticking....anyone else with this problem?
That's normal for digital servos.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Feb 21, 2011, 04:39 PM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
246 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I was told a couple of pages back that this is normal as they are digital servos and are always trying to self centre. Looks like it is a 'feature' of the aircraft and we just need to live with it. Never mind.
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Feb 21, 2011, 05:21 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
I used to be able to hang in the air with my old radian with no ailerons and flaps and now with my Pro when I try and not spill air with my ailerons,...and just use rudder...it seems very ineffectual. Anyone else feel this?
That is by design. Notice the flatter wing. This plane will not turn effectively with rudder alone. There is nothing wrong. This would be true of most aileron based planes.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:34 PM
Joined Apr 2005
1,005 Posts
A very nice afternoon with the Pro; it seemed like the area was just carpeted with thermals and I got several really nice flights in. On one in particular the plane was very high...guessing around 1000+ and pretty far down wind; up against the blank, white background of some high clouds, the sucker would just totally disappear unless it was constantly turning. I tried just spiraling down, but it looked like it was gaining rather than losing altitude. I popped crow and even that didn't seem to be bringing it down, so I added regular flaps, which on my mixes brings the flaps down to about 70-80 degrees and puts in a significant amount of down-elevator. That worked, but when I switched it back to normal, it blew straight up again...had to do it three times! Managed 32' on that flight; a lot of fun. There were two other flights over twenty minutes, so when I finally had to let the soccer teams have their field back, I was grinning. It's hard to explain, but this seemingly very low-stress kind of flying can really drag you in and focus you very intensely, maybe more than aerobatics. Much fun.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Feb 21, 2011, 07:19 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
Yep, I was told a couple of pages back that this is normal as they are digital servos and are always trying to self centre. Looks like it is a 'feature' of the aircraft and we just need to live with it. Never mind.
Radians are happy planes, they love to sing.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 21, 2011, 08:26 PM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roidspop View Post
A very nice afternoon with the Pro; it seemed like the area was just carpeted with thermals and I got several really nice flights in. On one in particular the plane was very high...guessing around 1000+ and pretty far down wind; up against the blank, white background of some high clouds, the sucker would just totally disappear unless it was constantly turning. I tried just spiraling down, but it looked like it was gaining rather than losing altitude. I popped crow and even that didn't seem to be bringing it down, so I added regular flaps, which on my mixes brings the flaps down to about 70-80 degrees and puts in a significant amount of down-elevator. That worked, but when I switched it back to normal, it blew straight up again...had to do it three times! Managed 32' on that flight; a lot of fun. There were two other flights over twenty minutes, so when I finally had to let the soccer teams have their field back, I was grinning. It's hard to explain, but this seemingly very low-stress kind of flying can really drag you in and focus you very intensely, maybe more than aerobatics. Much fun.
All you have to do to get down out of a big boomer like that is turn on full crow and put her in a steep dive, about 70* to 80* nose down. The crow won't allow the plane to pick up too much speed in the dive, but enough to get you down out of a big thermal.

Thermal flying is the crack cocaine of RC. Once you catch your first thermal all you want is another and another ..... I got a chance to try the Tx glove with the heater today and get a couple of flights on the RP. The glove and heater work great, it was about 0*F and my hands stayed toasty warm for the whole two hours I was out. What finally drove me in were my feet. Need to get some electric socks. The thermal flying wasn't great today. There were a few around but they seemed to be small and hard to stay in, just little bubbles of hot air coming off the roof of the school, no big columns of rising hot air. Oh well it was still fun and beats flying on the sim, and in a month or so we will start getting those super big spring thermals where the whole sky seems to be going up. Can't wait.

Rick (from the land of the snow thermals)
hammer833 is online now Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:15 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Never met a thermal I couldn't fly out of horizonally. They're just not that big. I say flip on the reflex and haul it. Sort of like a rip current, swim perpendicular to the flow and you'll get out.
Then start hunting for the next one.....or drift down and get back in the same one.
Repeat until batteries die or sun sets.
No rehab necessary.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Feb 21, 2011 at 10:22 PM.