To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
If your in the US then look at this....
http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html

I bought one for a friend and were very pleased with it.

MIke R
I use that model also. Five in one station actually. They work well but seem to be a little picky about starting if the pack is out of balance by >.08v. Kind of a hassle to have a separate balancer, but then again makes me keep an eye on that pack.
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:09 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66tbird View Post
I use that model also. Five in one station actually. They work well but seem to be a little picky about starting if the pack is out of balance by >.08v. Kind of a hassle to have a separate balancer, but then again makes me keep an eye on that pack.
Just to be clear, that charger comes with a balancer board and has a balance charge mode?
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer833 View Post
Siggy when I charge my Lipo for my Tx I use the storage charge function on my charger and just put a storage charge on the LIPO. This is a sufficient charge to run the Tx for DAYS of flying. When the Tx voltage starts dipping below 9.5V I put another storage charge on it. now my Tx can sit for weeks or months with no problem.

Rick
Yep, that's the way I'm going to do it from now on.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Feb 15, 2011, 11:17 AM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
Sounds fair enough. I will consider one then.
I need a proper charger really. The one that comes with the BnF RP seems a tad on the cheap and nasty side. I need one that can discharge too.
Any recommendations on a goodun that doesn't break the bank?
You mite want to have a look at this one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=2055

I have 3 of them and they work great. They do a good job of balancing the cells (all cells within .02V per cell). There is no programing, just plug in the battery and push the button. My 81 year old father has one as well and he even figured out how to work it without reading the instructions!

Rick
hammer833 is offline Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:13 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
There are no altitude restrictions except near ariports. Read the AMA safety code. If you can see it you can fly it. It is our responsibility to stay away, far away from the full scale aircraft. It is not their job to avoid us.
I did read the code, or at least part of it and totally agree with you.
My original favored location was 4.5 miles from the local airport, which is outside of the restricted area. However, it was directly in line with the approach to the main runway, and I noticed lots of aircraft flying over on approach. I checked the Airport data and found that the glide path for that segment of the approach was between 1700 and 700 feet. That, in my opinion, makes it unsafe for me to ride a thermal higher than 700 feet. Rather than having to ditch a great thermal ride I decided to move to another location out of the approach path. It would be very difficult to avoid a collision with an approaching aircraft because, for one thing, my depth perception is not good enough to know which way to go to avoid.

The AMA gives final responsibility to the RC pilot because our craft are very difficult to see due to their size. (That chrome reflective tape is the best thing I have done for safety IMHO) If I ever got into a possible situation with a real aircraft, I would spin her in hopes that the reflection would give the real pilot some warning.

The move to a new location has reduced my risk and worry, but has not relieved my responsibility.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 15, 2011, 12:24 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:

I have 3 of them and they work great. They do a good job of balancing the cells (all cells within .02V per cell). There is no programing, just plug in the battery and push the button. My 81 year old father has one as well and he even figured out how to work it without reading the instructions!

Rick
A no brainer...that's for me. Also supports our sponsor.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 03:37 PM
Sic transit gloria
Rushmore Academy
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
Still having trouble for a aileron servo horn replacement. Anyone with a RP have a habu, or f4f from parkzone? I have a hunch the servo horn is the same on both planes
Thx
MAX FISCHER is offline Find More Posts by MAX FISCHER
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:15 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,996 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX FISCHER View Post
Still having trouble for a aileron servo horn replacement. Anyone with a RP have a habu, or f4f from parkzone? I have a hunch the servo horn is the same on both planes
Thx

You should be able to find one at a LHS that carries EFlite or Parkzone . . .

Rick N
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Feb 15, 2011, 05:57 PM
To many projects
USA, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Aug 2004
1,055 Posts
Quote:

Rick
I'll add a counter point to the simplicity approach. I've had both and grant it the programing is about as hard as an old VCR its still a pain to some. A few of the features I found really useful on the hoppyparts unit are these.

Storage- puts a pack at 3.8/cell balanced from charged or discharged. At first I didn't give this much thought but in the end I use it weekly to take to topped packs that I didn't fly. High end batteries don't like to sit around fully charged for even a few days.

Adjustable charge rate. Very handy for the good packs that can take it a 5C for a 12 min charge. Limited by battery capacity of course, so I can I do Hyperion 1300's full on 5A no problem.

Lot of plugin adapters for about any battery, rx, tx, nistart, lead, jst stuff, deans ect. May come with the simple unit I don't know.

programmable battery type/rate/mode memories. I have 1300-3s I charge at one rate and 1800-4s at a different rate. I just scroll through my list (like a cell phone) and use the one I need.

Easy is nice but limited. Food for thought if your going to be in for a while.
66tbird is offline Find More Posts by 66tbird
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:07 PM
Rick
Joined Apr 2007
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Hammer you get your TX Glove and Heater yet?
I finally got the Tx glove and heater to day. The glove is great, it has an insulated bottom and sides. Just about any Tx will fit in it and the hand holes are big enough so you can get your hands in and out quickly and easily. Now the electric heater gets hot, VERY HOT when set on high. You can set the temp from 30*C to 80*C. I find if it is set on 35*C when you put your hand in the glove it's like putting it in a nice warm bath. Here are some photos of the glove with the heater installed.

As for the testing in the harsh Canadian winter environment it's going to have to wait a week or so. The temp here today was 4 degrees above freezing and it is going to stay like this until next week. If the wind dies down I may have a shot at a good time for the X5J eXtreme Feb. and the Just for Radian Pro Owners - The Big SkY contests this weekend.

Rick
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:37 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,426 Posts
Curious if sweaty hands would fog up the window...
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:45 PM
Rick
Joined Apr 2007
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Curious if sweaty hands would fog up the window...
I don't think it will because the glove isn't sealed that well and there should be enough air moving through it to stop any fogging except on the coldest days. And if you get a little fog on the window just crank up the heat, this thing gets hot enough to defrost a thanksgiving turkey in about an hour.

Rick
Old Feb 15, 2011, 07:49 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,421 Posts
looks good hammer.I ahvent tried mine yet...even n a slightly warmer day,the TX mitt.would help. standing for a hour+ my fingers go numb...But i spent 5 years in the artic circle..youd think the -60's would make your hands tuffer lol NOT....
Next order i make form HK i'll get the heat pads...i was waiting for your thoguhts..)
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:02 PM
Rick
Joined Apr 2007
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Here is a link.

http://www.amazon.com/Canmore-GT-730...f=pd_rhf_p_t_1

A little cheaper here...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Here is what I get in Google Earth...pretty cool!

Bad news is that I showed this to my wife and now she says I have to write her name in the sky.

Note, load the larger file first, the "flyaround" is the smaller one, and needs the plot to be loaded first.
I just looked at G Earth file; VERY COOL I' ordering one of this USB GPS units tonight!!

Rick
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:22 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
I just looked at G Earth file; VERY COOL I' ordering one of this USB GPS units tonight!!

Rick
Just don't show your wife or you'll be doomed to skywriting.

Oh,, and be sure you get the right model., with the built-in battery and logging. Cheaper ones have no battery and must to be connected to a laptop to log. That laptop would limit your thermability
Last edited by JumpySticks; Feb 15, 2011 at 08:30 PM.