Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 28, 2010, 05:06 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
It looks like my first thoughts are getting confirmed as it will be like a Easy Glider Pro. Not that the fact is bad but I already have a EGP. I was looking forward to the crow but it seems my DX7 won't allow that anyway.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2010, 05:38 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
It looks like my first thoughts are getting confirmed as it will be like a Easy Glider Pro. Not that the fact is bad but I already have a EGP. I was looking forward to the crow but it seems my DX7 won't allow that anyway.
it all works on my DX7

go to the first post in this thread and follow the instructions on how to set up the DX7 you need to read the update too as there was a blunder in the first pdf

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 28, 2010, 05:56 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
After a year of flying Radian One I know how nice and stable it is but I started flying with no instruction and learned it the hard way. Amazing how well it still flys with all the crashes and patches. Looks bad/flies good.
haha sounds like my old Easystar if u dont have a trainer, its bound to happen that your gonna crash and bash, but thats all in the learning part of it
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Nov 28, 2010, 05:57 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Thanks Chuck, I check it out. The reason I said that is I have seen one for sure and two I think posts saying it won't work.

We are having a altitude limited TD here soon and was thinking about the pro but think I'll stick with my good Radian. It really floats.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Nov 28, 2010, 07:40 PM
Joined Nov 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Just a quick note to say Hello, we have just ordered a Radian Pro for my boys and I for Xmas. Looking forward to learning how to RC fly as we are new to this hobby. Never flown before so i hope this plane isn't too advanced for newbies like us. We ordered the BNF version and after reading the posts in this thread I hope we got a 6 ch controller with it to take advantage of all the features this bird has. Anyways I'm sure we will be back in this thread with questions and probably some very newbie type Q's too that will annoy some so sorry in advance.

Rob
You will enjoy a lot but let me give you a couple of advices.

1) Fly it with CERO wind or you wll destroy it the first day (no problem, you can glue it back jeje). But trust me, this thing is easy to fly without wind but quite difficult with it as it does not weight so the wind affects it flying behaviour a lot.

2) Go straight high, to the place where your radian looks like a hand size or so and try to fly it with minimum imputs. When you do not know what to do just do not touch nothing and it will probably tend to balance itself. Once it is balanced, it is easy to fly in circles but always with little imput from the sticks.

I learned very recently and I did not follow these 2 steps so you can imagen what happened to me,
Besto is offline Find More Posts by Besto
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:05 PM
Joined Jul 2008
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FZS View Post
I sold my Radian to a buddy so I could buy the Radian Pro. We have been flying them together for the past two days and my conclusion is the Radian is much better design than the Radian Pro. The Radian Pro has a smaller motor, producing about 2/3 the power of the Radian (18amps FP Radian versus 12 Amps FP Radian Pro). This makes for a very wimpy climb that requires pilot attention continiously to prevent it from 'falling off' the climb. Note, both Radians use the same battery, ESC and Prop.

In my humble opinion, the Pro should have been equipped with a more powerful motor, not less powerful.

Power off soaring the Pro is able to do some tighter turns into a thermal but it seems to have a poor glide ratio?? Wind has been up the past two days, so I'm not sure which of the two is a better duration ship. For sure, the Radian is much easier on the pilot, whereas the Pro requires constant pilot attention.

I have had a Multiplex Easy Glider for a 2-3 years and its a much better performer than the Pro.

Bottom line: I'll probably unload my Radian Pro and go back to the Radian.

I Totally Agree!!! When I first flew mine today, the performance is really bad. My first Radian would almost go straight up. This Radian Pro cannot even climb at a 45 degree angle at full throttle! I got it up to around 300 ft. but it took a while to get up there and once I got up there, the stock 1300 battery was used up.

You're going to need a 2200 battery, since it's going to take you a while to get up to altitude.

I really regret getting this Radian Pro. The motor performance sucks. My first Radian could get up to 1,000 with no problem and did it going almost straight up. This New Radian Pro doesn't even come close.

The Radian Pro really needs a stronger motor. I would put a Power 10 in it, but it is not made to be mounted in a glider.
speed808 is offline Find More Posts by speed808
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:06 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,966 Posts
Radian Pro Flight Report

I maidened my Pro today. It was cool (45F) and close to sundown but it was the only calm day in the last 5-6 days so I decided to give it a quick try. There was no real lift to speak of so I couldn't really wring it out in a thermal. According to the RAM3 I had onboard, the best I was able to do was to hold altitude for about a minute but I wasn't expecting much from the conditions and time of day.

In general, I was happy with the way it flew. Since I had an altimeter along for the ride I was able to measure some climb rates. The best I was able to do was about 1100 feet per minute and I'd guestimate that was at about a 45 degree climb. The standard Radian right out of the box will climb at 1400 feet per minute so the extra weight of the Pro definitely affects the climb.

The most impressive part of Pro was the flaps. I have them set up on the throttle stick of the DX7 to give me smooth linear control of landing speed. I also moved the flap pushrods all the way to the end of the servo arms which gives me about 70 degrees of flaps. With full flaps I could come in at about 40-45 degrees and not really pick up any airspeed. Very nice. With some practice, spot landings should be a piece of cake.

I'm anxious to get it out on a good day now and see how well it works the lift.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:26 PM
'Sky' King
Watauga, Texas
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
All you need to get crow, camber, reflex and flaps working with your DX7:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=937

Have fun!
Tom
tking2097 is offline Find More Posts by tking2097
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:38 PM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Just a quick note to say Hello, we have just ordered a Radian Pro for my boys and I for Xmas. Looking forward to learning how to RC fly as we are new to this hobby. Never flown before so i hope this plane isn't too advanced for newbies like us. We ordered the BNF version and after reading the posts in this thread I hope we got a 6 ch controller with it to take advantage of all the features this bird has. Anyways I'm sure we will be back in this thread with questions and probably some very newbie type Q's too that will annoy some so sorry in advance.

Rob
Rob, sorry to mirror what some have already said, but shelve the Pro for now and get the original Radian to learn on, plus a good flight sim like Phoenix to help you guys learn this great hobby. I've been flying for nearly 18 months, and while I'm not an expert, I have done a lot of flying, both flat field and slope side, with and without ailerons. The original Radian was my first rc plane, and I had my fair share of newbie crashes, that could have easily been avoided, had I joined a forum and sought advice earlier. Crashes are inevitable, regardless of experience, but I reckon you guys are setting yourselves up for major disappointment if you start with the Pro. I was under the illusion that a slow and steady glider would be easy to learn on, but there's a lot more to learn than just chuck and fly. You need to hone your reflexes, and get used to the different orientations, judge distances, speeds etc. learning to drive, but in the air. The original Radian is more stable, with a degree of self correction, the Pro does not, and will require more experienced hands on. Some of the more experienced guys on here have already had mishaps, so save yourself some pain and get the original Radian to cut your teeth on, sorry.
SmartMartY is offline Find More Posts by SmartMartY
Old Nov 28, 2010, 08:46 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,117 Posts
Randy,

Finally a review by a sailplane pilot. Honestly who cares if it goes up a bit slower, the object is to get to altitude and begin soaring.

Were you able to work reflex and camber at all?
Hostage-46 is offline Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:04 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrust View Post
I maidened my Pro today. It was cool (45F) and close to sundown but it was the only calm day in the last 5-6 days so I decided to give it a quick try. There was no real lift to speak of so I couldn't really wring it out in a thermal. According to the RAM3 I had onboard, the best I was able to do was to hold altitude for about a minute but I wasn't expecting much from the conditions and time of day.

In general, I was happy with the way it flew. Since I had an altimeter along for the ride I was able to measure some climb rates. The best I was able to do was about 1100 feet per minute and I'd guestimate that was at about a 45 degree climb. The standard Radian right out of the box will climb at 1400 feet per minute so the extra weight of the Pro definitely affects the climb.

The most impressive part of Pro was the flaps. I have them set up on the throttle stick of the DX7 to give me smooth linear control of landing speed. I also moved the flap pushrods all the way to the end of the servo arms which gives me about 70 degrees of flaps. With full flaps I could come in at about 40-45 degrees and not really pick up any airspeed. Very nice. With some practice, spot landings should be a piece of cake.

I'm anxious to get it out on a good day now and see how well it works the lift.

Randy
I have a power 25 in mine with a 40 amp controller 1.7 Ah battery and 12x6 prop. I get unlimited vertical.

How much down elevator mix are you using with flap brake? My model stops flying and stalls when I pop the brakes.
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:12 PM
USA, IN, Floyds Knobs
Joined Dec 2009
41 Posts
Finally got to fly the Radian Pro today!

Before today, all I had flown was Ember 2, UM P51 and a Blu Baby. What a change the Radian Pro was.

It covers a lot of sky *fast* compared to these. It displayed nary a nasty tendency, even though I stalled it a few times attempting tight turns. I had no trouble landing it at all.

I used the stock setup (ala PZ manual and HH docs) with AR6100 and DX7 - rates, throws, and applied the correction to step 3 in the DX7 setup from this forum... the ailerons were near useless.

I;m thinking I won't bother with expo or D/R for the ailerons. Setting the aileron throws as far as they will go w/o mechanically binding and leaving them there. Elevator was a bit touchy, but I also believe mine is slightly light in the nose... expo and D/R might be helpful there for landing approach. Might as well skip the D/R & expo for rudder as well.

I could detect absolutely no change in flight characteristics whatsoever between reflex/camber. Crow *barely* slowed it down for landing.

To put my airspeed in perspective, after cutting off power, making two stall turns, coming back toward the landing area, I activated the crow function at ~75ft altitude. I was able to level and align it perfectly with the landing strip while decreasing altitude slowly and still slid what seemed to be 60 feet in 6" high grass after touchdown. Lots of airspeed!

The suggested throws/rates - especially for ailerons - made control inputs very sluggish, but that's easy to fix. I still give it the thumbs up!
ancjr is offline Find More Posts by ancjr
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:21 PM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46 View Post
Randy,

Finally a review by a sailplane pilot. Honestly who cares if it goes up a bit slower, the object is to get to altitude and begin soaring.

Were you able to work reflex and camber at all?
So is this a real sailplane
SmartMartY is offline Find More Posts by SmartMartY
Old Nov 28, 2010, 09:30 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hostage-46 View Post
Honestly who cares if it goes up a bit slower, the object is to get to altitude and begin soaring.
Agreed.

Anticipating similar performance to the Radian I ordered a 'smaller than stock' prop for the Pro (Aeronaut Cam 9.5 x 5). The original Radian is absurdly overpowered IMO. Maybe I'll have to put the 9.5x5 on the Radian and swap the 10x7 blades over to the Pro.

Waiting for an RX and 3A UBEC to arrive. Anybody read the spec sheet on the E-flite ESC? Says the switching bec is rated for 700mah continuous and will drive 5 analog or 4 digital servos. What's wrong with this picture? (hint...6 servos)

Probably adequate, but cutting it a little close IMO.

.......Mike
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY
Old Nov 28, 2010, 10:02 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,051 Posts
I'm thinking about putting a rimfire .10 on the pro. My slow stick really doesent need 350 watts but the pro needs to climb brtter IMO.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member