HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2011, 12:28 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255 View Post
I just did a search of this thread looking for the size of the wing hold down screws for the Pro. Results only turned up a picture of the screws with no info on the thread.

Does anyone know the size of the screws, SAE, metric? Nothing in the instruction.
Thanks.
John255
Guys,
I'm finding it hard to believe that no one has lost their wing screws and had to go out an try to find a good supply for future losses. So the problem is what size are they????
Thanks for any info!
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2011, 01:52 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
John255: Unbeknownst to me, the flange under my wing screw had cracked and almost lost a wing in flight, came out almost an inch, a little more and it would have rotated on the spar ending in disaster, as previously noted a few weeks ago on this thread. Now the wings are Gorilla glued in and rock solid. Yes, still fits in my car, barely. As mentioned before, do a good pre-flight on the wing screw flanges!
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Feb 07, 2011, 01:56 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,464 Posts
An Aurora 9 and a Radian pro as you return ot the hobby? What an outstanding combo. Welcome back!
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 07, 2011, 02:57 PM
I don't giveup till it crashes
Claremore, Ok.
Joined May 2007
499 Posts
Radiad Pro wing screw size

Quote:
I just did a search of this thread looking for the size of the wing hold down screws for the Pro. Results only turned up a picture of the screws with no info on the thread.

Does anyone know the size of the screws, SAE, metric? Nothing in the instruction.
Thanks.
John255
Hi John255, here is the size and thread pitch.

mm
Mr. Mike is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Mike
Last edited by Mr. Mike; Feb 07, 2011 at 02:59 PM. Reason: to add a title for easy search
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:29 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
Hi John255, here is the size and thread pitch.

mm
Mr. Mike,
OK thank you very much.
This is valuable infomation.
I thought they would be metric.
Looks like the short thread is to prevent over-tightening.
Regards,
John255

P.S.
Thank you also 1911Tex for responding.
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:45 PM
Klutzsquatch
Columbus, Ohio
Joined Oct 2006
392 Posts
Pro Wing Separation

Fellow flyers.....I plan on adding tape at the wing root of my Radian as the plastic tabs and screw do not look to be that robust of a design. The tabs look to be prone to failure and obviously the screws are easy to loose.

Vinyl tape worked wonderful on the two Multiplex Easy Gliders I have owned as neither one had a positive retention system for the wings. I have used the same tape for my Paragon wing tips and many unlimited class ships also attach wing segments in this fashion as well.

I start with the tape at the trailing edge and apply a continuous pass along the wing/fuselage fillet, over the leading edge and stopping again at the trailing edge. Try an lay the tape so the joint line is in the middle of the tape width. Use gentle pressure with a finger after applying to get a good stick to the surface. The vinyl tape is nice as it has some stretch and will easily follow the contours of the plane. The vinyl tape is also easily removable and does not leave an adhesive residue.
mgroves is offline Find More Posts by mgroves
Old Feb 07, 2011, 03:58 PM
Calgary AB
Joined Apr 2004
12 Posts
Quote:
Guys,
I'm finding it hard to believe that no one has lost their wing screws and had to go out an try to find a good supply for future losses. So the problem is what size are they????
Thanks for any info!
John255
The wing screw is 3mm x 18. I replaced mine with Dubro #2126. They work great
Ruffnit4 is offline Find More Posts by Ruffnit4
Old Feb 07, 2011, 04:05 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,430 Posts
i must be having a bit of luck with my plastic mounts as i just rechecked them again and mine are still as good as the day they were fitted, even after all that wind and great 500ft dive it did

funny how different Pros have had different problems, me i only had the what seemed like underpowered motor, i have fixed this just by putting on a new set of "Stock Blades" pity Horizon didn't admit something was wrong there and send us all out a new prop, I had no trouble what so ever with my pushrods binding and everything else on the plane works fine, I did have the heavy handed packer who pulled the tape so hard it warped the aileron on one wing, but that massaged out and you can't tell now

hope it keeps giving me good service, BUT! i will check those wing mounts after every flight i think

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Feb 07, 2011, 04:09 PM
I don't giveup till it crashes
Claremore, Ok.
Joined May 2007
499 Posts
Quote:
Mr. Mike,
OK thank you very much.
This is valuable infomation.
I thought they would be metric.
Looks like the short thread is to prevent over-tightening.
Regards,
John255

P.S.
Thank you also 1911Tex for responding.
John, they are metric thread, .5 deg pitch is a metric size.

mm
Mr. Mike is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Mike
Old Feb 07, 2011, 05:38 PM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroller View Post
Hey guys...just joined the forum and ordered a Radian Pro...Been away from the glider/sailplane hobby for about five or six years...alot has changed in technology but the thermals remain the same! Picked up an Aurora 9 and plan to ease back in with the Radian Pro to start with...lot's to refresh my memory on. Been working my way though this thread so now back to page 33...just thought I'd say "hi".
Glad to see another RP owner. Lots of good info in this thread. You should have a look at this one too.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1373413

The more the merrier.

Rick.
hammer833 is offline Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Feb 07, 2011, 06:58 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
An Aurora 9 and a Radian pro as you return ot the hobby? What an outstanding combo. Welcome back!
Aeajr,
I restored my old wrecked Goldberg Mirage 550 this weekend to flight condition. I had forgotten how enjoyable building and tinkering with the planes was.

Looking for a new challenge.

What is your favorite sailplane to build, at a flying skill next step up from the Radian Pro?
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:07 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Sprung for this gps logger.
http://www.bedoxinc.com/cagtusbgpstr.html
Old Feb 07, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
JumpySticks: It took me 2 weeks to program my tx. It would take me 6 months to figure out how to use that gps logger.....but sounds interesting.
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:12 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
JumpySticks: It took me 2 weeks to program my tx. It would take me 6 months to figure out how to use that gps logger.....but sounds interesting.
I still haven't figured out programming the transmitter. Thank goodness for step by step instructions of Chuck I did not need to.

Still want to learn how though, when time permits. Would like to switch a couple of switches around.

As for the gps logger, there are plenty of software programs around that can decode the data. Google Earth for one. This little one intrigues me too. It charges with a usb plug, very small and lightweight. It looks perfect for the sailplane.

Initially I jumped on the Contour camera for it's included gps, but for the Big Sky contest, it's just too much weight and drag for my liking. It does take some awesome video though. One day when the thermals are booming and there is no million dollar prize money at stake, I'll speck out the Contour and see what the world looks like from up there.
Old Feb 07, 2011, 10:50 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
I still haven't figured out programming the transmitter. Thank goodness for step by step instructions of Chuck I did not need to
Still want to learn how though, when time permits. Would like to switch a couple of switches around.
Haha, well believe it or not I too know nothing about programming these new radios with the instructional i did i just followed Matts instructions and it worked haha BUT! i did learn something from doing it, and after checking with the guys at Model Flight when last there, I successfully set up the 3 way switch on my DX7 to use for the flaps on the BnF Stinson SR-10

here is how it is done

Now on the stock SR-10 setting the flaps are on your Gear switch, which just gives you up or down, so what I wanted to do was change the Gear switch control to the 3 way switch, at a guess I would say this would work swapping any switch you want.

now open up prog mix 1 and change it to: Gear - Gear next set the Rate to: -100% click down to the next and this too is set at -100% make sure SW: is set to ON, offset will be left at 0

next i went to prog mix 5 only because it has trim control, in here you need to set: Flap - Gear, Rate on: +100% and again +100%, SW: ON offset: 0

you have now moved control from the Gear switch to the Flap switch, so next step is to set our Flaps up, if this is what you want to do, if just swapping switches the above 2 steps is how it's done

now if you want flaps here is what i did, you need to go to the Flap Sys: page and on Normal set it to UP100% leave Elev on 0, next move to the mid control, set this to what you want your flaps to do on the mid setting you could start at DN15% or maybe 20% trial and error here, then move over to the Elev: and if you want to add some down to help keep the nose down when the Flaps are deployed add whatever you need, again start at DN15% and trial and error till you get it right. Next it's Land: aging set it to what you want, same again for the Elev: Auto is left on INH

there that's how you swap a switch on the DX7 and set the Flaps up too see i did learn something from making that vid

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker