HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 28, 2010, 01:43 PM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Feb 2008
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v9climber View Post
One thing I have noticed about the my Pro is that CG is way off, its super tail heavy like its almost missing something up front.
My battery is installed forward of normal since I installed a larger receiver. This achieves the manual recommended cg without adding weight.
cschwie is offline Find More Posts by cschwie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:00 PM
The Flying Astronomer
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
66 Posts
Just a quick note to say Hello, we have just ordered a Radian Pro for my boys and I for Xmas. Looking forward to learning how to RC fly as we are new to this hobby. Never flown before so i hope this plane isn't too advanced for newbies like us. We ordered the BNF version and after reading the posts in this thread I hope we got a 6 ch controller with it to take advantage of all the features this bird has. Anyways I'm sure we will be back in this thread with questions and probably some very newbie type Q's too that will annoy some so sorry in advance.

Rob
xrekcor is offline Find More Posts by xrekcor
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:04 PM
Landin' On The Canopy BAD
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Just a quick note to say Hello, we have just ordered a Radian Pro for my boys and I for Xmas. Looking forward to learning how to RC fly as we are new to this hobby. Never flown before so i hope this plane isn't too advanced for newbies like us. We ordered the BNF version and after reading the posts in this thread I hope we got a 6 ch controller with it to take advantage of all the features this bird has. Anyways I'm sure we will be back in this thread with questions and probably some very newbie type Q's too that will annoy some so sorry in advance.

Rob
with the BNF, you get everything BUT the controller bud. You still gotta have ur own transmitter.
F-86FLIER4LIFE is offline Find More Posts by F-86FLIER4LIFE
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:10 PM
The Flying Astronomer
Northern Tablelands, NSW, Australia
Joined Nov 2010
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE View Post
with the BNF, you get everything BUT the controller bud. You still gotta have ur own transmitter.
Yup I know that, it got ordered seperately. Just cant remember what it was
xrekcor is offline Find More Posts by xrekcor
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:12 PM
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Yup I know that, it got ordered seperately. Just cant remember what it was
hopefully the DX6i, thats a great tx. I've never had one, i had the DX7 for awhile, but i didnt like it, so now i got a Futaba 10C
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:42 PM
Joined Nov 2010
79 Posts
Quote:

Rob
If you are new to RC aircraft I would strongly recommend learning how to fly on a regular Radian before attempting to fly the Radian Pro. The regular Radian is much slower in flight, more forgiving and much easier to fly. If you have never flown a RC model aircraft before you will probably be overwhelmed by the Radian Pro and likely to crash and have a bad first experience to the sport
gbaum is offline Find More Posts by gbaum
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:50 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
What gbaum said. I had my share of nasty experiances with Radian One.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Nov 28, 2010, 02:54 PM
Lee's Summit, MO
Joined Jan 2008
1,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
What gbaum said. I had my share of nasty experiances with Radian One.
Radian One is still more forgiving, and way more stable
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:17 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F-86FLIER4LIFE View Post
Radian One is still more forgiving, and way more stable
After a year of flying Radian One I know how nice and stable it is but I started flying with no instruction and learned it the hard way. Amazing how well it still flys with all the crashes and patches. Looks bad/flies good.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:24 PM
Grampa Tony
Lawrenceville, GA - Northeast Atlanta
Joined Jan 2009
1,487 Posts
Radian or Radian Pro

Guys,
Looking for opinions here. I've never owned a sailplane. I'm a reasonably experienced flier. Do I go with the Pro, or do I try to get my LHS to give me a deal on a Radian that's been sitting on their shelf for a year?

Grampa Tony
annarelli is offline Find More Posts by annarelli
Old Nov 28, 2010, 03:40 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by annarelli View Post
Guys,
Looking for opinions here. I've never owned a sailplane. I'm a reasonably experienced flier. Do I go with the Pro, or do I try to get my LHS to give me a deal on a Radian that's been sitting on their shelf for a year?

Grampa Tony
depends on what you want from gliding, if you want a really nice floater thats easy to fly and very relaxing then go for the Radian, you can take the arm chair out to the field sit back and enjoy

If you want to search the sky for thermals have extra features to help you do this, be on the sticks all the time, yep no time to sit back and relax here, then when landing be able to drop it on a penny, maybe the Pro is for you

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:20 PM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
256 Posts
Quote:

Rob
Rob, if you have not flown RC at all, the Pro is, IMHO, the wrong place to start. Put it on the shelf for a while.

Start learning with a high wing 3-channel foamie trainer in dead calm wind situations. Also, spend lots of time on a PC flight simulator (e.g., Clearview: http://rcflightsim.com/download.html). It's nice to be able to crash without having to fix anything.

Then you can progress to an aileron trainer and more simulator time, until you can do coordinated turns. etc....

After a few months, you will be able to bring the Pro down off the shelf and enjoy it.
jchunter is offline Find More Posts by jchunter
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:34 PM
Holland MI
Joined Feb 2010
347 Posts
I flew the pro today for the first time today. I have to say I was very excited about this glider . I can't wait to get the setup on the new radio.
I did however break the plastic piece that the wings screws into. I had it fixed in ten minutes with a popsicle stick. If any wants to see the picture I will post later. I broke mine from over tightening the screw. I would suggest that everyone does a mod of some sort as I feel that is a super weak spot.

With all the I would by the original radian before the pro. The original is a simple glider that floats very simple and very easy.. But then again the pro runs a little hotter u can cover more area. It thermals well. Lol dang buy both lmao....
Krazykayak75 is offline Find More Posts by Krazykayak75
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:41 PM
Just do it.
Stroudsburg, PA
Joined Nov 2009
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykayak75 View Post
I flew the pro today for the first time today. I have to say I was very excited about this glider . I can't wait to get the setup on the new radio.
I did however break the plastic piece that the wings screws into. I had it fixed in ten minutes with a popsicle stick. If any wants to see the picture I will post later. I broke mine from over tightening the screw. I would suggest that everyone does a mod of some sort as I feel that is a super weak spot.

With all the I would by the original radian before the pro. The original is a simple glider that floats very simple and very easy.. But then again the pro runs a little hotter u can cover more area. It thermals well. Lol dang buy both lmao....
I would love to see the picture. Have you flown it like that yet?
FlyFisch is offline Find More Posts by FlyFisch
Old Nov 28, 2010, 04:56 PM
USA, PA, Lewisberry
Joined May 2008
76 Posts
Flight report ramblings

Did some slope and thermal flying today. Overall, the Radian Pro is a very mellow sailplane. It has nice thermaling characteristics, allowing you to pull back on the stick without worrying about any nasty stall characteristics. Ironically, it probably does not have the climb, or glide of the Radian 1. But, it is a great multichannel sailplane for people just learning flaps and ailerons, and controlling flight modes on a sailplane. Setting up a speed (reflexed ailerons and flaps) mode improves at least the speed of a somewhat lumbering glide.

What this glider does not have in overall performance is made up by the pleasant flight characteristics. It can be flown with the rudder coupled (35% mix) or uncoupled, nothing tricky about learning to fly this bird with both sticks if you choose. It will spin from a stall with full rudder, but it recovers as soon as the rudder is neutralized. Otherwise, the stalls are fully controllable. Aerobatics and rolling maneuvers would be better with fully mixed ailerons and flaps, but would require another channel. Maybe not the best first airplane or sailplane because of the setup and mechanical complexity. Landing precision is great with butterfly. Be careful when setting up the motor control to a switch or control that can not be accidentally turned on (do not ask!). I finally figured out how to mix my left slider (9503) with the elevator dual rate switch to provide a safer launch mode.

Pluses:
Great handling and thermaling characteristics
Modest but fun performance, good second glider
Good value for your money
Great multichannel sailplane trainer
Durability, opens up some rugged flying sites
Mechanical linkage setup in wings (offset horns etc.) was well thought out

Minuses:
Similar or slightly less climb than the Radian 1.
Still OK, but do not expect a rocket ship
Wing screws (get lost), and aileron/flap leads are difficult to plug/unplug, esp. when using advanced features and 1 Y harness.
Needs comprehensive radio set up sheets for DX6i, DX7, 9303/9503, DX8 included. Most of these are already available on line, so Horizon is listening and helping.

Happy Flying
Chuck Yeager is offline Find More Posts by Chuck Yeager