SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:38 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,400 Posts
Yep, I had the RAM3 aboard as well. For more info on some of the other flights today, see my post in the Big Sky thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=56

(and I edited my post above stating that I had the RAM3 aboard)
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:41 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,969 Posts
Hey Andy, which motor did you get with your Pro? See this post. I got the one with the metal end bell whch has the smaller diameter nub on the back. I'm still trying to discern if one motor type is more powerful than the other.

Thanks,
Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:43 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,400 Posts
Randy, mine is the metal end bell. I'm told that is the only motor shipped in the Radian Pros. I talked to Matt Andren about it. He said it is the same motor on the inside, just a different housing. Same specs and all.

Oh, and I've got some CAM questions to ask you...I'll email you in a bit.

Andy
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:48 PM
Clear to launch... Delta Out!
Eleele Hawaii
Joined Jan 2011
65 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer833 View Post
Glade to hear the maiden went well, it's a great plane isn't it. What's the slope soaring like in Hawaii? Some of the guys have posted that the Pro makes a good sloper.

Rick
Rick,
When you first look around at the mountains and hillsides here, your first thoughts would be that it is a slopers heaven. Unfortunately most of that land is owned or to hard to get to. I have been keeping my eyes peeled for places and have a few ideas but have yet to try them. I tend to fly at the base of the mountains and then motor up to the windward side of the slopes but it's not the same as being above the plane. I did fly the Pro again tonight and I think it would do well on the slope. I used the heavy 3s 2100 battery and the weight kept it from floating but it handled the 15 mph winds excellently. I focused mainly on the crow and flaps and the more I used them the more I love them. flying into the wind with the flaps deployed reminded me of the flight charactoristics of the standard radian. the crow was like slamming on the brakes. I couldn't help myself from making little braking sound effects everytime I would throw the switch. I think I am going to really like this one even as much as I like the my other.
Outrider Delta is offline Find More Posts by Outrider Delta
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:48 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,969 Posts
Ok that's good to know. I'll have to try one of my 45C batteries in it. With the stock battery and the Graupner 10x8 prop, I was just barely making 200m in 30s. Been too stinkin' cold and snowy to try the 11x8...

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:13 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Yep, I had the RAM3 aboard as well. For more info on some of the other flights today, see my post in the Big Sky thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=56

(and I edited my post above stating that I had the RAM3 aboard)
Thanks for doing the test, will be using a CAM and it is nice to know I can hit 200m with that same set up.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:33 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,392 Posts
Nice to know theres a few people with the 10x8. Are you guys adding the Shim for the 2mm difference?

I also curious about the Differential that was set up on my out of the Box Pro. I really don't know the benefits of Differential. When i first got the Pro, i noticed it and though, "It must of been a Friday Afternoon when mine was put together. So after awhile there were people saying theirs came from the factory like this set up aswell. Or was it? you guys notice it? Or is just a random Assembly hiccup?

So what are the benefits (if any) of Differential. Im going too do some reseach now about Diff,but figured id through it out there.

Mike
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:50 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Upgraded my battery and prop on the Radian Pro. Now running a Turnigy Nano-Tech 1300 25-50C 3S lipo and Graupner 11x8 prop. Installed the CAM altitude limiter in there and made 200m with seconds to spare. The battery and prop made a huge difference. I was pulling 21.25A and 239.2W on the wattmeter before this flight.

Before this flight, I also tried a Graupner 10x8. The peak amps and peak watts readings from the wattmeter were identical to the 11x8. I did record a 1600+ ft/min climb with the 10x8 prop, so maybe it is better after all.

The CAM sure is a nifty little device!

EDIT: Just for clarity, I had my RAM3 onboard to log the altitudes. The CAM does not log altitude.

Andy
Nice run there. Good graphics too!
Too windy here today, blowing the tops off.
Tomorrow?
Did get some nice cam video from the contour and the bloggie 360.
Processing is a pain.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:51 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,400 Posts
I used a tiny metal washer on the back side (toward the plane) of each blade to shim up the gap. Seemed to work fine on mine and the prop folded nicely.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:16 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Well while on the Subject i remebered i wanted this one form the begining.
So i jsut ordered it.Its quite bigger then the Keycam but 19G ant that bad...
Hopefully all the good reviews hold true ;0)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=13987
got one in the mail now i think it's still about 8 days away though as it hasn't hit the tracking yet

from the video i looked at on Youtube it should be better footage than the key cam gives

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:25 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,392 Posts
Cool yea ive had the Key-chain cam for almost a year now and have only got like 45 secs of vid form it.I almost chucked it in the trash at one point lol.

So hopefully this one on the way (for me too now) is a lot better. Looking at it!! it looks like
it takes video with the cam held vertical? may not help in mounting options...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:26 AM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
flew my raidan pro with my GOPRO today. Really nice plane for video. Im looking forward to putting my FPV gear on it. Ill shoot a video on here when I get it edited.
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:53 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Nice to know theres a few people with the 10x8. Are you guys adding the Shim for the 2mm difference?

I also curious about the Differential that was set up on my out of the Box Pro. I really don't know the benefits of Differential. When i first got the Pro, i noticed it and though, "It must of been a Friday Afternoon when mine was put together. So after awhile there were people saying theirs came from the factory like this set up aswell. Or was it? you guys notice it? Or is just a random Assembly hiccup?

So what are the benefits (if any) of Differential. Im going too do some reseach now about Diff,but figured id through it out there.

Mike
"The reason for differential is that in a turn, the aileron that goes down creates drag that tends to pull the wing OUT of the turn you're trying to make. For example, say you are entering a right turn. The right aileron goes UP and not only pushes the right wing down because of it's deflection, it also assists the turn by adding drag on the low (right) wing.
The top (left) wing's aileron goes down to deflect the left wing upward, but it ALSO adds drag which is opposite to the direction of the turn. By limiting the down movement of each aileron, turns become much smoother and prettier."

Here is a primer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_yaw with force diagrams that may explain it better. Its all about controlling Adverse Yaw.

I readjusted my aileron linkage to eliminate mechanical differential, so that I could control it from the Tx, instead. This way, I can easily try different settings to see how it affects the PRO's behavior in turns. Short summary: the PRO's turns are lousy with no differential. I have it set on 28%, which is better than the stock setup. Testing still in progress.
jchunter is offline Find More Posts by jchunter
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:06 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchunter View Post
"The reason for differential is that in a turn, the aileron that goes down creates drag that tends to pull the wing OUT of the turn you're trying to make. For example, say you are entering a right turn. The right aileron goes UP and not only pushes the right wing down because of it's deflection, it also assists the turn by adding drag on the low (right) wing.
The top (left) wing's aileron goes down to deflect the left wing upward, but it ALSO adds drag which is opposite to the direction of the turn. By limiting the down movement of each aileron, turns become much smoother and prettier."

Here is a primer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_yaw with force diagrams that may explain it better. Its all about controlling Adverse Yaw.

I readjusted my aileron linkage to eliminate mechanical differential, so that I could control it from the Tx, instead. This way, I can easily try different settings to see how it affects the PRO's behavior in turns. Short summary: the PRO's turns are lousy with no differential. I have it set on 28%, which is better than the stock setup. Testing still in progress.
Excellent thanks.
Ill set it up with some TX differential for the next flight. Start with 30% and got from there. So there are 3 ways too eliminate adverse yaw. Manually with the rudder/ Mix Ail with Rudd/ have Ail differential?

So would is be advisable too have Ail Differential set plus the rudd mixed at the same time?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:22 AM
Phoenix, Arizona
Joined Apr 2009
256 Posts
Quote:
Excellent thanks.
Ill set it up with some TX differential for the next flight. Start with 30% and got from there. So there are 3 ways too eliminate adverse yaw. Manually with the rudder/ Mix Ail with Rudd/ have Ail differential?

So would is be advisable too have Ail Differential set plus the rudd mixed at the same time?
I found an easier test for differential settings here. A lot safer than Dutch rolls...

"All model gliders require some aileron differential. 8 units up and 5 units down is a good starting point for most gliders. Aileron differential is best tested in calm neutral air, strong thermal activity can mask a poor set-up. Launch the model then switch off the aileron-rudder mix. Roll the model to the left and closely watch the angle of the fuselage to the horizon. If it goes nose high (yawing to the right) you have too much differential. If it goes nose down (yawing to the left) you have too little differential. Make the necessary adjustments on your Tx and test again. Aileron rudder mixing does not cure the nose high or low situation described above, changing the differential is the only cure. "
jchunter is offline Find More Posts by jchunter