SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2011, 10:53 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Nice Vid man,O i know there's Thermals around,I just have too find the right Location..Hmmm parking lots!!! I think Spring may the Best time when snow is still on the ground.The sun up here is very powerful in Spring and we get warm Air from the Jet Stream. We have had a unusual winter so far. Not much snow,more rain/mild. Just Saturday past the sun broke out for about a Hour os so and WOW was it hot!!
To bad i only got a 8min flight,that was on one climb out, which is usually a 30-40 secs. That's about to the point where i can barely pick it out.
It felt like a warm Spring day. So when those condition's are every other day in the Spring here."Cold ground with Open Hot pavement partially melted farm lands/Golf Courses, should generate nice thermals My Fingers are Crossed anyways!!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:25 AM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
yea you can over ride it,i got it too 60% now i think...then if i want the rest of the 40% i can do it on the left stick

I thoguht we covered this weeks ago
lol we did but i reposted it for the people who may or may not have seen it...its good to double check!
Brooklynstar23 is offline Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23
Old Jan 18, 2011, 08:34 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynstar23 View Post
How well does the mixing of aileron and rudder work to make it fly like a 3channel radian? Is it the same just poke it around the sky and it flies sort of thing? Any one have any video footage of it so I can get an idea?
Not sure what you mean by making it fly like a 3 ch Radian. Radian is a completely different plane. Only common characteristic is they are both made of Zfoam and they are both called Radian. After that they differ quite a bit.

I have an aileron/rudder mix on most of my full house gliders. The mix % varies from 25 to 50% depending on the plane. On the Radian Pro I would probably try 30% as a starting point.

Use of the rudder is not required, just recommended for more efficent turns, same as any 4 channel plane, model or full size. But if you don't want to use the rudder, don't.

And yes, even with the mix in you can always manually override the mix from the stick.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:40 AM
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but I really don't understand why a pilot would want to use A/R mixing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but during mixing the only time rudder is applied would be during the second or so that you bank the plane to initialize your turn. Once you bring the ailerons back to neutral the rudder goes to neutral also. This is not what I want. I want to keep applying rudder throughout the turn reducing sideslip, thereby reducing drag and keeping me in the air longer. Your also getting opposite rudder as you bank out of the turn, again not what I want.

This is just my opinion, but wouldn't it be wiser to learn to fly the plane correctly rather than applying a mix that gives you a false sense that your flying correctly.

Let the flame begin!
NCHeliHead is offline Find More Posts by NCHeliHead
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:52 AM
The "Foaminator"
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHeliHead View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but I really don't understand why a pilot would want to use A/R mixing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but during mixing the only time rudder is applied would be during the second or so that you bank the plane to initialize your turn. Once you bring the ailerons back to neutral the rudder goes to neutral also. This is not what I want. I want to keep applying rudder throughout the turn reducing sideslip, thereby reducing drag and keeping me in the air longer. Your also getting opposite rudder as you bank out of the turn, again not what I want.

This is just my opinion, but wouldn't it be wiser to learn to fly the plane correctly rather than applying a mix that gives you a false sense that your flying correctly.

Let the flame begin!
Just going to answer based on my own experience..
I find that there are times I want the plane to turn quickly to get into the thermal. With the mix that happens much better. With out it, of course I can apply the rudder with my own stick input and there are times I do, when I have the mix turned off.

Again this is just for me but I have found it to be rather successful under certain conditions. I definetly have been out on days where the mix was absolutely the wrong thing to have on and turned it off.
I really don't know that there is a wrong or right on this issue, and lastly I do beleive it also depends on the characteristics of the plane being flown.

I happen to have the oppurtunity to fly someone elses Cularis yesterday right after flying my own. I had my mix on for most of the flight, I also had my flaps mixed into the ailerons, on his none of that was on and in my opinion, I was now flying to complaetely different aircraft.

MIke R
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:29 AM
Fly it like you stole it!
United States, VA, Purcellville
Joined Aug 2009
746 Posts
Quote:

Let the flame begin!
It's just preference. Pretty simple. What's best for you isn't necessarily best for everyone. It's what makes the world go around.
ODUsurfer is offline Find More Posts by ODUsurfer
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:59 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by odusurfer View Post
it's just preference. Pretty simple. What's best for you isn't necessarily best for everyone. It's what makes the world go around.
amen!!!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:23 AM
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODUsurfer View Post
It's just preference. Pretty simple. What's best for you isn't necessarily best for everyone. It's what makes the world go around.
Preference? Some prefer to fly the plane inefficiently? Maybe so, but I tend to think it's more apt to be because they don't know any better. I think we all strive to be better pilots and learning to properly use all the control inputs available goes a long way towards that goal.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:01 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v9climber View Post
Has anyone set up the pro with the DX6i instructions successfully? I have checked and rechecked all the settings as detailed and still having an issue with Crow. Flaps work fine, but when I go to engage Crow one Aile deflects up and the other down.. like it was make a turn. So I ask has anyone had the setup as per the Horizon Hobby support page work? I have gone through the setup at least 5 times and have it set per the instructions and no luck with Crow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just as a reference all other surfaces move correctly. Thanks
Try switching the aileron leads on the receiver. I did the same thing.
If that's not it, use the video tutorial here, posted by Chuck.
Mine is a DX7, but the receiver is a 6 channel, so I used the DX 6 setup Chuck posted.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jan 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:09 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:

Let the flame begin!
I have yet to learn coordinated turns, and rarely use the rudder. It is not necessary for turns. I just bank and pull. I realize that something is lost by not coordinating turns, but it's not essential for flying the plane. the tail naturally reacts to the airflow and follows the nose!
I will be learning coordinated turns as I get to know the plane better.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:48 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:

Let the flame begin!
As I understand it the rudder in a coordinated turn is to counteract the adverse yaw caused by the down aileron. If that is so, once you establish the proper bank for the turn you want and the ailerons are neutral, you apply up elevator to pull through the turn, and the vertical stab will follow the nose. Now if you are not pulling enough on the elevator, the plane will begin to slip. That's not improper rudder use, it's improper elevator use.

Further, as delivered the pro ailerons are set up with differential, with the up aileron deflecting more than the down one. This is intended to reduce adverse yaw and reduce the need for rudder input. When customizing the aileron rates or the linkages, you might accidentally alter the differential aileron and so require more rudder input with aileron deflection.

I have kept the stock differential aileron and find very little, if any, need to use the rudder. In fact, I accidentally had rudder mixed the other day when I tried a barrel roll and it got me into serious trouble in the form of a spiral dive. I should have been applying a little cross control in the initial phase of the roll, but the mix was doing the opposite. Also started with too little pitch up.

Now if you want to slip to lose altitude, compensate for a crosswind landing or keep a turn flat, that's fine, but it is an inefficient way to fly a thermal IMHO.

No flame...just my 2 cents......and that's probably about what it's worth.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:16 PM
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
As I understand it the rudder in a coordinated turn is to counteract the adverse yaw caused by the down aileron. If that is so, once you establish the proper bank for the turn you want and the ailerons are neutral, you apply up elevator to pull through the turn, and the vertical stab will follow the nose. Now if you are not pulling enough on the elevator, the plane will begin to slip. That's not improper rudder use, it's improper elevator use.

Further, as delivered the pro ailerons are set up with differential, with the up aileron deflecting more than the down one. This is intended to reduce adverse yaw and reduce the need for rudder input. When customizing the aileron rates or the linkages, you might accidentally alter the differential aileron and so require more rudder input with aileron deflection.

I have kept the stock differential aileron and find very little, if any, need to use the rudder. In fact, I accidentally had rudder mixed the other day when I tried a barrel roll and it got me into serious trouble in the form of a spiral dive. I should have been applying a little cross control in the initial phase of the roll, but the mix was doing the opposite. Also started with too little pitch up.

Now if you want to slip to lose altitude, compensate for a crosswind landing or keep a turn flat, that's fine, but it is an inefficient way to fly a thermal IMHO.

No flame...just my 2 cents......and that's probably about what it's worth.
No problem, just having a healthy discussion. What I'm trying to point out is that proper use of the rudder is not directly proportional to the deflection of ailerons which is how you are applying rudder in a mix. I just don't see the point. You will be much better off in the long run by simply learning to use your rudder stick. I guess I'm just old school, but I've done it for so long that using the rudder stick is just second nature to me. That and the remembrance of a grumpy old flight instructor yelling into my headset to step on the ball. These days I don't even have to think about it.

Rather than go into a long discourse in flight dynamics I'll point you to a good article on the subject from someone that makes a lot more sense on the subject than I do.

http://www.polecataero.com/handlaunc...thermal-flying
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:18 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
As I understand it the rudder in a coordinated turn is to counteract the adverse yaw caused by the down aileron.
That's part of it but not the whole story. I highly recommend you guys read this short article by Dr. Mark Drela. He describes how and when the rudder should be used in thermal flying.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:20 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
Oops, we posted a link to the same article at the same time...
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:35 PM
Joined Nov 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrust View Post
Oops, we posted a link to the same article at the same time...
Great minds think alike!