HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:24 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangitman View Post
Oh my God, is a Swiss person in need of medical assistance? Radian Pro to the rescue!
haha funny
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:25 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
How about some flying pictures?

My brother Gary and I maidened our Radian Pros yesterday. We were flying in the field behind my house and we still had snow on the ground from nearly a week ago (that just doesn't happen in Alabama). The forecast was for sunny skies and warming temps, but the skies were overcast, light winds, and still pretty chilly. We couldn't wait any longer. We had some fun and got a little crazy with it! (see pictures). I got back out and flew a couple of packs through mine again this afternoon. The sky was clear with light winds. The lift was out there, but it was really weak. Gary flew his this afternoon as well. In our post-flight discussions, we both made similar comments on the flight characteristics of the Radian Pro.

Both Gary and I are pretty good with our original Radians. I've logged flights over an hour on a 30 second motor run, and Gary placed 5th in the LMR sailplane contest at SEFF 2010 with his Radian. Safe to say that we both know how to thermal a glider.

My overall impression of the Radian Pro (compared to the Radian) is that it takes a lot more finesse and concentration to fly. It definitely isn't a "set the transmitter down and go grab a drink" kind of plane like the Radian. I found that you almost constantly have to be flying it and keeping the wings level. It was almost like it was on a teeter-totter and the slightest little bump would tip it up one way or the the other. Definitely not self-righting like the Radian since it doesn't have that generous dihedral.

As far as thermalling goes, I have yet to hook a big boomer with the Radian Pro. I have, however, averaged 7-8 minutes per flight on a 30 second motor run. Today I was flying a Soaring Circuits CAM (altitude limiter) and a Soaring Circuits RAM3 (logging altimeter). The CAM cuts the motor at 30 seconds or 200m, whichever comes first. I was hitting the 30 seconds everytime, so I doubt I was reaching 200m. If I could find my USB-Serial converter, I'd get the data off my RAM3 and post the results. Now where is that thing?!?!

Oh yeah, I was talking about thermalling...as I was working the weak lift, I was using the camber settings off and on. I couldn't really tell much difference. I'm flying the DX7 setup from Horizon with an AR600. While turning, I was feeding in rudder as needed to help it around the turn. The Radian Pro, once you're circling in a thermal, handled more like the Radian except that I was using my left thumb for the rudder. I found myself actually adding a little opposite aileron as needed to keep the turn from getting too steep. I do the same thing with the Radian on the opposite rudder.

One thing I did to mine was I adjusted the pushrods a bit on the flaps. I think I moved the pushrod to the outermost hole on the servo arm. I can't remember exactly. Either way, what I ended up with was lots of throw on the flaps. Crow mode is awesome! I can come in and at about 50 feet flip the switch for crow and jam the right stick to full down elevator. The Radian Pro will descend at about a 45 degree angle (see picture) without picking up any airspeed. Leveling out at about 5 or 6 feet right in front of me makes for a nice approach for a handcatch.

All in all, I'd say the Radian Pro is a winner. I can't wait to get it up in some really good air instead of scratching for lift like I did yesterday and today.

Enjoy the pictures! Oh yeah, and give handcatches a try. They make you look cool!

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:32 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Nice dee..Pics are always great..We got some nasty winter WX coming our way for the rest of the week. Cant wait for Spring.
I would like one of those altitude limiters. WOuld oyu happen to have any info /Links on where i could look into getting one.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:39 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Funny you should ask about the CAM, Mike. I'm currently working on a review of the CAM for RCGroups. Today was my first flights with it. I should get it wrapped up pretty soon if I can get some more decent flying weather.

In the meantime, www.soaringcircuits.com, is the place to go. Randy Brust (rcbrust here on RCG) will get you hooked up. Randy has posted here in these threads, so you should recognize him.

Andy
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:49 AM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low&Slow View Post
I will fly in the contest if Mother Nature says I can. It's Ohio if you don't like the weather just wait it will change.

Phil
Count me in too. Am going to use my CAM3 ALES switch set to 150m

Don
donsinger1 is offline Find More Posts by donsinger1
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:54 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Funny you should ask about the CAM, Mike. I'm currently working on a review of the CAM for RCGroups. Today was my first flights with it. I should get it wrapped up pretty soon if I can get some more decent flying weather.

In the meantime, www.soaringcircuits.com, is the place to go. Randy Brust (rcbrust here on RCG) will get you hooked up. Randy has posted here in these threads, so you should recognize him.

Andy
Awesome Dee Thanks,So oyu were saying you were geeting 600ft in 30sec? Thats a pretty good rate of climb with the Stock Set up Ehh? Thats what i think im getting.
I only flew 2 times with the Stock Prop,and i thought it was very good then i installed the 10x8s
This is my First Glider and the first time Ive flown this high.Im slowly getting into flying @ these heights and becoming better at Keeping my Orientation.There was a few times im Sure i was higher then 600ft.

My next "Things to get" are the Eagle Tree Altimeter and a Alt Limiter.
yesterday was the first day with 0 Winds and it was Awesome...Got cut short
of the TX Trim issue.(Fixed) I got 8-9 mins on one (What i think is 600-700ft)climb out and would of got more.

I would like too starting adding in the factor of having 600ft and time my Flights too see if i can Start a Personal Record and go for more

Thanks for the Link.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:05 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
I got the impression he was out of time at 30 seconds before reaching 200m.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:06 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,469 Posts
Great post D-G believe me when you do find a thermal it will just go up up up i have been catching a few of late and this glider comes into it's own once in lift

something you mentioned there made me remember i too checked all my linkage positions and found them to not be like the manual stated, someone else bought this up a few days back and i also remember Matt from Horizon saying they come a little tamer in the box to accommodate the newbies that will buy this plane

anyway i went through and changed all mine, to what the manual states, the only non stock setting i have now is the rudder as i wanted more throw

i also had to add a little weight to the tail to get my CG spot on, as i am running a Turnigy Nano Tech 1600 25-50C and eagle Tree Logger + Altitude gauge

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:08 AM
Horse-trailer
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
My next "Things to get" are the Eagle Tree Altimeter and a Alt Limiter.
The Eagletree stuff might be all the rage at the moment, but it's also worth considering the Hyperion E-Meter II with Remote Data Unit (RDU) - which combines altimeter, temperature sensor, RPM sensor, Rx channel logger, and Amps/Volts reader all in one package.

http://www.hyperion.hk/dn/em2/

Also includes an optical RPM sensor, analysis functions and more in the meter itself.
dangitman is offline Find More Posts by dangitman
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:36 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
I got the impression he was out of time at 30 seconds before reaching 200m.
Yes that's true.I just re-read his post..I wish i knew(or had a better idea of What Alt i was at)Now im just Guessing/Assuming.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jan 17, 2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:45 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Yes that's true.I just re-read his post..I wish i knew(or had a better idea of What Alt i was at)Now im just Guessing/Assuming.
from what you have said, i'd say you are higher than you think

i am editing a vid i took the other day with the Radian, i had a cam on and my logger and was at 788ft when a Hawk joined me, only got a few seconds of it on the cam as they were pointing down, but if you have a look how small we are and how far on the horizon you can see, you will see it's high, point being i can still "just!" see the glider ok at this height

you might get a surprise just how high you are flying when you get a meter

cheers chuck

PS will try to finish the vid tonight
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:59 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,619 Posts
Kool Chuck.Yea there was a few times i was thinking man i am High!!!(Higher then 600ft. hehe...
Yes.Yes i may be surprised. On my Maiden flight Vid on the Second battery @ 2:42 mark i climbed for 30Sec.. What Alt you think im at?
Im guessing at least 500ft?
Radian Pro Maiden Flight (6 min 59 sec)

Usually this is the Alt i fly up too. But i have Specked out a few times!!
Didn't like that feeling
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:59 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
The standard CAM only cuts off at time or height, does not record. I do think they make one that does record but I got mine just for ALES.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:10 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
AEAJR: Is the BIG SKY CONTEST open the entire world? From down under, south/central america, europe, africa, middle east, east, far east, pacific region, ....EVERYWHERE?

BIG SKY CONTEST - POST 1753
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1753
Getting a more active response, so I am thinking I will set this up as a contest in February. If it goes well we can run it for several months.

Yes, it is open to Radian Pro pilots anywhere in the world.

Since this will run over 30 days, weather should be less of an issue.

BIG SKY CONTEST - POST 1753
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1753
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 17, 2011, 06:34 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,469 Posts
Quote:
Kool Chuck.Yea there was a few times i was thinking man i am High!!!(Higher then 600ft. hehe...
Yes.Yes i may be surprised. On my Maiden flight Vid on the Second battery @ 2:42 mark i climbed for 30Sec.. What Alt you think im at?
Im guessing at least 500ft?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hebfdJ8kQpM
Usually this is the Alt i fly up too. But i have Specked out a few times!!
Didn't like that feeling
hard to tell from the footage as theres no land in sight to judge by, at a guess it looks at least 350-450ft but as said hard to tell from the vid, sounds like you had a bit of wind too

cheers chuck