to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:16 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
If your Screw well not set straight in the mounting hole.Make sure all your Servo leads and tucked in the Fuse. Just one piece of servo wire not in the whole well cause your Wing too not set in the slot flat.
Exactly! This caused me a little grief. A clue here is that if you don't have enough slack in the leads to reach your receiver, you might have part of the leads pinched in between the wing and fuse. Pull your wing out a bit and it should be easy to tell.

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:22 AM
Horse-trailer
Joined Oct 2005
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Break out the lawn chairs!
Mine already broke!
dangitman is offline Find More Posts by dangitman
Old Jan 16, 2011, 01:29 AM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
So, what do you think? Since I don't have a Pro, I can't compete so I will just be the score keeper.

Warning - flights in excess of an hour are likely to be reported.
Count me in!

I maidened my Radian Pro today. Will report details soon. Short story...it flew great! No problems whatsoever. Two launches, two hand-catches...never touched the ground.

Andy
dee-grose is online now Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 02:38 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose View Post
Exactly! This caused me a little grief. A clue here is that if you don't have enough slack in the leads to reach your receiver, you might have part of the leads pinched in between the wing and fuse. Pull your wing out a bit and it should be easy to tell.

Andy
Yea i use 6'' Sevos extensions I cut a little Square out of the inside area towards the TE of the wing seat,Its about 1.5'' long and around .75'' wide. and about 1'' deep and i still have preusure pushing up into the RX bay on the belly But it Sure do help with my Extra wires. I usually lap my AIl wire in first,then the Flap Y. I have a few indentations of the servo wire on the Butt of the wing.lol
I found the first few time getting those Leads in hard,but now it goes pretty good.

Quote:
Count me in!

I maidened my Radian Pro today. Will report details soon. Short story...it flew great! No problems whatsoever. Two launches, two hand-catches...never touched the ground.

Andy
Nice,Always good too hear a nice Maiden report
Well i got my TX trim button fixed.Did some Adjustments too my AIl up/Crow.I toned it down today(trying different things too see how she reacts. Full Ail up works better and slows her down nice.
So hopefully tomorrow i can not FORGET my Wing Screws and get more then a 8 mins flight..Winds tomorrow are 20km/h with 60%percent chance of snow flurries lol great flying WX.

Going too play with the CG some more as-well.had it way to far back i think..
Porpoised like a Mother...
If anyone has Played with the CG yet..NOTE. It don't take much...lol
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:41 AM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
aeajr: I like your idea, kinda blends everyones thoughts. Perhaps allow some practice time before the kickoff if the competition is limited to one month. Remember a lot of us are beginners in one form or another, it is winter foul weather and the Pro has only been out a few months, and some of us are just getting acquainted with thermals.

Just a thought, kick off on April one. That will give time for everyone to pitch in on thoughts about the rules, less bitter cold, and more practice time with our new Pros, and last but not least, ask you to continue answering questions. Just some ideas to throw in the pot. I like the thought that you are involved no matter when the kick-off starts.

I think we can live with honesty=integrity and a witness is encouraged as explicit in your rules.

Also....stock vs. modified.....?

I would hope to have some friendly input from Horizon...maybe a door prize? If it were not for them and their customer service, this 1750+ thread and counting would not exist......and I probrobly would have never entered the traditionally expensive powered sailplane venture........

p.s.: 8 flights under my belt and the only damage is some ugly scratches on the belly from the stiff winter dead grass and some stones upon landing. I have since moved to landing on a golf course (before the golfers start their games...and its the 9th hole which gives me an extra hour or so to evacuate). Yes, I did get permission.

Looking forward to the competition!
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:20 AM
Joined Jan 2011
8 Posts
Airplanes! I just got mine yesterday, who wants to go flying? I'm new to forums, so could someone point me to the discussion of batteries, I want to order some from HK, they are so cheap, but there are way too many to choose from. Oh, and also the setup for a dx6i. Thanks!
Illiop is offline Find More Posts by Illiop
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:53 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
Big Sky Contest -

On further reflection, let's kill the witness idea. Everyone here is honest. No witness required.

Radian Pro only. Any modifications you want as long as it starts as a Radian Pro.

Use of ballast is permitted.

I was thinking of starting in February as many pilots fly year round. But if you guys want to wait, say so.

If you practice for this you will immediately start to improve your thermal soaring capabilities.

Tips for success.

The key to long long flights is not catching a single huge thermal but being able to move from thermal to thermal as they die.

Get to know your flying field. Where are the thermal generators. Notice I said where, not what. I often don't know what generates the thermals but I do know where the thermals usually "live". They will usually be very wind direction dependent.

Try launching high then just cruise around watching the glider. If you find a thermal, work it for a little while, gain some height, then leave it and head off to where you think it came from and see if you can find another one behind it.

Work a thermal, gain some height, then leave it. Fly up wind a bit, then turn around and see if you can pick up that same thermal again. Remember it may not be in the same place as when you left it. It likely moved with the wind.

Put a ribbon on your antenna (72 MHz), on a stick or on a pole so that nothing interferes with the air flow. Don't launch, just watch the ribbon and establish what the prevailing wind direction is. Now, watch for the ribbon to change direction, say pulling 30 degrees to one side of the prevailing wind. If it holds there for a while, then returns to the prevailing direction you probably just witnessed the formation or the passing of a thermal. The bigger the shift the stronger or the closer the thermal.

The thermal may be exactly where the ribbon is pointing or it may be more up wind, say 90 degrees to the normal wind direction. This will fade out after a while. If it happens again, go launch and find the thermal. A small one will be close. A big one may be farther away.

If the ribbon reverses direction, then the thermal is forming directly up wind and is pulling so much air it is overcoming the prevailing wind. If you wait for a bit you may feel the air go calm and then get warm. You are standing in the center of the thermal.

Timing Thermals - Watch the changes and see if you can anticipate the changes. Are they regular? Thermals often run in cycles and sometimes they are very regular. I have been at contests where you could predict the cycle so well that when it was your turn to launch you could decide whether to chase the thermal down wind that the other planes were working, or go up wind and catch the one that was going to come through next. This is huge fun!

Back into the air - Using what you learned from the ribbon, launch and find the thermal. Work a thermal till it is down wind from you, but keep an eye on that ribbon. When it indicates another thermal, go see if you can find it.

Avoiding Sink - Get high, then leave it and come directly back toward yourself. Chances are you will fly directly into the sink that follows the thermal and you will lose altitude quickly. Do it again but exit 45 degrees to one side or the other and see if you tend to drop less. You should.

Sometimes you hit that boomer where it seems the whole sky is up and you could stay up forever. Those are great but they can get a bit boring. Having to chase one after the other to keep the plane up is the real challenge. If you get an hour flight needing multiple thermals you will find a real sense of accomplishment.

Getting low - once you have the ability to find and work thermals up high, limit yourself in height. 15 second climb. Now go hunting. Thermals get bigger and stronger the higher you get. So finding them down low is much harder. Do the same things I said earlier, but start lower and stay lower. When you get to twice your launch height working that thermal, break off and start hunting again.

When you get good at that, 8 second climb only and do it all again. If you can get a 10 10 minute flights off an 8 second climb you are really becoming a thermal soaring pilot! This low level work will help you save that flight that is failing, where the big thermal died and you are about to land.

At no time during any of this practice do you use the motor to reclimb. Cheating! If you can't keep the Radian in the air based on thermal lift, then you land and start over again. Now you are becoming a real sailplane pilot.

I had my Spirit out one day. I launched from a hi-start and immediately found a great thermal. After 15 minutes I was getting low and called out that I was landing. On the approach I caught a blip at 30 feet and turned. Up I went for another 10 minutes. I did that two more times. What a ball! (Ed called not landing ... again. What a show off!)

Go play. Go practice and ALWAYS have a watch to time your flights. I have a switch on my radio that I flip on launch. This starts a count up timer. I can also have a count down start at the same time if I wish.

I also have one of these Talking timers. They are great, especially when you are flying alone.
http://www.talkingtimer.com/index.ph...te_banner_id/4

The talking timer will announce the time as your flight progresses. And if you ever get into thermal duration contests where your time is for a specific period, like 10 minutes, you set this to count down. It announces every minute up to the last minute. Then every 10 seconds till the last 10 when it counts them off 10 to 0. On zero you touch the nose to the ground.

One caution. This thermal soaring thing is very addictive. No two flights are ever the same. You don't know how long you will be flying till after you land. I just love it!

May the force be with you!
Ed Anderson
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 16, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:42 AM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Yea i use 6'' Sevos extensions I cut a little Square out of the inside area towards the TE of the wing seat,Its about 1.5'' long and around .75'' wide. and about 1'' deep and i still have preusure pushing up into the RX bay on the belly But it Sure do help with my Extra wires. I usually lap my AIl wire in first,then the Flap Y. I have a few indentations of the servo wire on the Butt of the wing.lol
I found the first few time getting those Leads in hard,but now it goes pretty good.

Nice,Always good too hear a nice Maiden report
Well i got my TX trim button fixed.Did some Adjustments too my AIl up/Crow.I toned it down today(trying different things too see how she reacts. Full Ail up works better and slows her down nice.
So hopefully tomorrow i can not FORGET my Wing Screws and get more then a 8 mins flight..Winds tomorrow are 20km/h with 60%percent chance of snow flurries lol great flying WX.

Going too play with the CG some more as-well.had it way to far back i think..
Porpoised like a Mother...
If anyone has Played with the CG yet..NOTE. It don't take much...lol
I had to pull the battery much farther forward than I had expected. That's good though because it gives me plenty of room for adjustment, such as when I mount the gps cam.

I adjusted it 2-3/4 inches back from the leading edge as per the manual, and the dive test was flat on...very slight pull out from 45 degrees. Close enough for horseshoes.

I'm thinking of making a custom canopy out of foam with the cam mounted into it. That way I can just swap out the canopy for filming. It will keep most of the cam out of the airflow. Will cover it with black film for looks. Will have to open some airflow holes in it. The cam generates a lot of heat.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Last edited by JumpySticks; Jan 16, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:44 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Count me in!

Andy
Great news. I'm no where near hand catching. Will have to practice that 100 foot radius before the thermal competition starts.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
aeajr
This Pro pilot will be ready whenever you say go!

Also, I ordered a pair of these for the times I land in rough terrain...just to protect the servo arms/horns which constantly catch grass (especially the flap horns). I dont know if they are practical for the Pro, but once received, I will post results and pics FWIW. I don't have the ooph to make my own:

http://www.morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_031.htm
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:58 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Big Sky Contest -

On further reflection, let's kill the witness idea. Everyone here is honest. No witness required.

Radian Pro only. Any modifications you want as long as it starts as a Radian Pro.

Use of ballast is permitted.

I was thinking of starting in February as many pilots fly year round. But if you guys want to wait, say so.

If you practice for this you will immediately start to improve your thermal soaring capabilities.

Tips for success.

May the force be with you!
Ed Anderson
Great post Ed. I learned a few of your tips yesterday. Particulary, I noticed on one video of some experts that they had two poles with streamers set up. Great way to spot those mini dust devils. I located my second thermal yesterday by reacting to a not so subtle wind shift that passed, then returned to normal.

February is fine with me, but I wonder how those up north feel?
I like the rules...mods ok because a 45 second run with stock gear gets about as high as I want to get anyway. Not sure that there are any significant improvements to be made to this plane.

Video combined with a gps data plot would be nice, but not sure we need to require it.

If anyone has a gps but does not know how to convert the data to a KMZ file for Google Earth, I have some GIS software and can do it fer ya.

Thanks again to Ed for sharing your knowledge here.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:04 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,549 Posts
BIG SKY CONTEST - POST 1753
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1753

So far a few have shown interest, but it has only been up for 12 hours. Looking for more interest than that.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 16, 2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:08 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illiop View Post
Airplanes! I just got mine yesterday, who wants to go flying? I'm new to forums, so could someone point me to the discussion of batteries, I want to order some from HK, they are so cheap, but there are way too many to choose from. Oh, and also the setup for a dx6i. Thanks!
DX6i Set up
Hey

Ahh lets see here.Here is how i have mine set up.

Take your Y off your Ail..
Plug your right Ail plug in your Ail rx port
Plug your Left Ail in AUX1
Go into your Wing tail mix screen and turn on Duel Ail
(If your AIl's do not corresponded too your inputs right,Switch your 2 AIl ports)

Flap Y Harness is in the gear Channel. Which should be already done for you from the factory.

Flap Menu
FLAP ELEV
Norm 0 0
Land +50 -10
(What this does is when you flip your flap switch
your AIL goes up 50% and your Elev is trimmed down 10%)-So your Up Ail can be change for more Crow/Spoilers by changing the +50.

Mix 1
Aile-> Rudd ACT
Rate L +70% R +70%
SW ELE D/R Trim ACT
(Here is my RUDD-AIL Mix on and off.using my ELE D/R switch)

MIX2
Gear-->Elev ACT
Rate D 0% U+20%
SW ON Trim ACT
This is for when flaps go down,your Elev goes down a bit too induce and steady decent.(Try different settings)

On the Set up page.
In the D/R COMBI option i have AILE set.
So my AIL D/R turns on/off my D/R's

Reversing
Throttle: normal
Aileron: reverse
Elevator: reverse
Rudder: reverse
Gear: reverse
Flap: reverse

Hope this helps ,i think i got it all there, Let me know if it works.

As for Batterys
I use these
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=8936
and these
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=11908

Most of HK's battery's have XT60 connectors and in my opinion are the best.The E-flight ESC comes with the EC3 connector.
You can either solder theses on your ESC
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=9572
Or if your not into soldering ,I would highly recommend you throw one of these in your Battery Order.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=10259

LOL ohh not sure what charger you have for your Battery's but if you go too all XT60 battery's get one of these.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=10266

Another thing you want want too look into is 2 servo extensions..Its been know that trying too put your wings on with the short leads is a Pain.I never even tried ,i put the extensions on from he get go.

Check my Blog for my Pro rundown.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=313302

And last down not least make sure your Elev push rod is free moving..should move every-time you hit your trim up or down. Should also center.
Known to be very tight.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:19 AM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
I want to switch to the above setup.
Right now my flaps are on the Aux 1 on my DX 7. The crow is on the gear switch. It's hard to raise the flaps for landing with my right hand while I'm working the right stick with the same hand. I want to swap the crow and the flap switches around but not sure how. I used the setup video posted here earlier by Chuck (Factory setup).

Also with Chuck's setup camber is up switch and reflex is down. For me it should be the opposite, as I think of pull as slow, push as fast.

Mu current setup:

Last edited by JumpySticks; Jan 16, 2011 at 11:52 AM.