HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:23 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
Here are some pics of the damage.. I have not touched it since the crash..
Mine broke in almost exactly the same place. Did you have a hard landing previous to this incident? Mine was caused by high speed impact at 45 degrees. I didnt notice and was about to fly again but my habit is to run up the motor before flying again and noticed a vibration. Then as I moved the nose around during my inspection the crack became a break. The breakage was due to my planes previous crash I am sure if I flew it the motor would have just fallen off. I dont blame HH or Park Zone.

So lets look at what the Version one and then the PRO is. Version one is a fairly inespensive way for a beginner to get into electric soaring nothing more nothing less. In that it has done far better than anyone that has flown sailplanes expected.

The pro is a step up for a person wanting to get into full house electric soaring and as such it has met my exspectations. Since very few people have actually put much time flying ther model even fewer actually trying to soar, its not really benificial to bad mouth the model or even to consider all these mods until more experience is gained. I HAVE flown mine (35 flights 10 soaring) I am satisified with the airframe (even though it is foam). I fully expect the power issue to be resolved by HH or Park Zone if not I will resolve it after I have even more time in the air since I cannot afford the red sailplane (see previous cartoon video somewhere earlier)

So the Radians are inexpensive, they do both happen fly very well. The Radians do what you should have bought them for fun learning. Want better then buy better!
Foam (ugh) is not a good structural material. It is subject to stress failures and vibration failures. Inspect the ship often. Flex parts to look for cracks and repair them before you fly.

Personally I still fly 72 MHz because in my opinion there still are reliabilty problems with the 2.4 MHz radios. High frequency are funny acting enough but very very high frequency delve into the realm of black magic. RF does funny things at these frequencies.

Sorry for the RANT but for my part I want to read more aboout flying the thing the only way I can do that is for you guys to fly it. Sure I want to hear about crashes because mistakes are lifes best learning methods. Mods are goode too but only if they are proven to be better for the flying, not unproven ones.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Last edited by tlar633; Jan 11, 2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: clarification
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 12:29 PM
RCHN #150
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Nov 2007
5,997 Posts
Quote:
I did the same thing to mine, and fixed it with white Gorilla Glue.

If you use GG, be sure to make the parts damp before you apply the glue. Apparently, it needs a little water to go.

Rick
Rickn816 is offline Find More Posts by Rickn816
Old Jan 11, 2011, 01:09 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Quote:
That's pretty wicked. Will have to remember to look for cracks after a hard landing. Maybe a little beef up is in order there.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:04 PM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
246 Posts
OK, quick update...
I got through to the LHS this afternoon and the servo was shipped to me yesterday. The guy seemed very helpful and said that if I had no joy, they would surely replace the wing. Unfortunately, he was just a temp stand in guy. Let's hope the boss feels the same way when I have made a hash of fitting it!
Now it's over to good old Royal Mail...
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:07 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickn816 View Post
I did the same thing to mine, and fixed it with white Gorilla Glue.

If you use GG, be sure to make the parts damp before you apply the glue. Apparently, it needs a little water to go.

Rick
Not both side..Wet one side and glue the other..The more water the more foam up it well produce..Great for getting every little nook and cranny the those breaks..It may foam up too where its leaks out the seams..either wipe excess with damp paper towel of just tape the seem with painters tape...and let dry for 30 mins...take off and pretty nice finish...May need abit of sanding.
GG is nice and strong but yet flexible..Dark GG is not the best cuase of its color but good for wood App's..White GG Kicks arse..
Ive built 2 Scratch Build planes (TomHe's EuroFighter and a OSG 60'' WS glider with GG/CA and i love it.

powerlines that's too bad..Did oyu say that was on your Maiden Flight?
Were you tearing up the Sky's?
Ive had mine in a Steep 200-300ft dive(No power on of-course) too the Point ive seen the Wings Flexing Alot.But the gusty/turbulent Winds might of had a part in that. I did say too my friend. "I think that was almost the breaking point".lol and he agreed.
Now i kinda no its Limits. And she makes that Whistling Sound Pretty decent.
Not so loud as this!!! but i sure would love this glider...
Experience Pro high speed flyby (1 min 33 sec)
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2011, 02:43 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Powerlines, did you have nice smooth belly slides on your first flights or did you come in hard. Every time I have broken the nose off it hit hard.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jan 11, 2011, 03:06 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
...snip...

Sorry for the RANT but for my part I want to read more aboout flying the thing the only way I can do that is for you guys to fly it. Sure I want to hear about crashes because mistakes are lifes best learning methods. Mods are goode too but only if they are proven to be better for the flying, not unproven ones.
I thought that is what we were talking about here??? I would love to talk about all the great "flying" I have done with my RP, but as I still haven't worked out all the obvious bugs yet (going on a month) I have only gotten in three flights. I will admit that they were GREAT flights, but even with that I would not advise a friend to buy this plane at this time.

I can't speak for others, but my RP came with:
1. Sticking elevator linkage.
2. Bad (as in not working) flap servo.
3. Weak magnetic link (magnets were too far apart) on the hatch, as in it blew off the first time I fired up the motor.
4. Underrated BEC. some here seem to think it is OK to run 650mah (test bench, not more stressful flying conditions) through a 700mah rated BEC, I don't!

I have taken care of those, but still have questions about:
1. Tail wiggle... It really does twist around a lot!
2. Weak wing spar. I watched a PZ Corsair fold it's wing (much shorter wing span) do to the same kind of spar (material and construction).
3. Protection for the wing control horns.

Have I forgotten any??? I understand this is just a foam plane, but it IS a $250.00US foam plane! I feel that I and all the rest of us are just unpaid beta testers for PZ and HH... unpaid? Heck I had to pay to beta test for them!

edit; How could I forget the motor/prop issue? 20% more power might not mean anything when you live "on the flats", but it IS an issue when you live in the hills amongst 150ft tall trees!
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Last edited by rahtware; Jan 11, 2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:03 PM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raften View Post
Powerlines, did you have nice smooth belly slides on your first flights or did you come in hard. Every time I have broken the nose off it hit hard.
First landings were great.. and I really was not flying that hard.. getting ready to pull a loop.. the lift of the wings pulled the nose up.. and the motor and front came crashing to the ground..
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:20 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,624 Posts
Quote:
First landings were great.. and I really was not flying that hard.. getting ready to pull a loop.. the lift of the wings pulled the nose up.. and the motor and front came crashing to the ground..
You must of got a bad one or put her past the limit..I and others have done loops...no Prob....I got a few rolls the last time out.Be warned(if try)you'll going too loose quite abit of Altitude...
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:40 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Quote:
No idea how that happened, got to be put down as a isolated incident.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:54 PM
Joined Apr 2005
1,005 Posts
Take heart; bkmorpheus had a bad crash and did a beautful job of repairing it. Makes all the hack-jobs I did on my old Easy Star look pretty ugly...well, actually, they were ugly.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:04 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Flap horns vs. grass

Anyone have a problem with flap horns dragging on grass (or pavement) upon landing? The flap horns are the first to drag as soon as the wings tilt on landing. Only one minor ground loop due to horn and rod catching on turf...no damage...yet, but I wondered if longer servo covers are the best solution? Thinking about angling a flexible wire punched and glued into the foam in front of the servo arm angled rearward, just long enough to drag on the ground and defend the horn (simular in concept to a weedless fishing hook)...Other ideas?
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:31 PM
NorCal
Joined Oct 2002
731 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the post, it got me thinking. I am planning on stiffening the tail with some CF strips I have laying around, might as well add a couple to the nose.
rahtware is offline Find More Posts by rahtware
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:26 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
Anyone have a problem with flap horns dragging on grass (or pavement) upon landing? The flap horns are the first to drag as soon as the wings tilt on landing. Only one minor ground loop due to horn and rod catching on turf...no damage...yet, but I wondered if longer servo covers are the best solution? Thinking about angling a flexible wire punched and glued into the foam in front of the servo arm angled rearward, just long enough to drag on the ground and defend the horn (simular in concept to a weedless fishing hook)...Other ideas?
How to make your own servo covers.
You don't need a vacuum forming machine to make servo covers.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1483
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:07 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Nice mod Graeme.

With regard to the nose coming off ala powerlines, sounds like it happened to more than one person. What about a couple strips of fiberglass or carbon fiber on the inside of the fuse, on either side of the cockpit? Wouldn't that be a good preventative measure?
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks