Team Cobra!
USA, VA, Yorktown
Joined Feb 2005
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerlines View Post
Am I the only one that has had the plane break apart in mid air
??

First I've heard of it.. What happened Bud?
FiremanBill is offline Find More Posts by FiremanBill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2011, 05:47 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
I posted on here.. Right before you posted your crash.. On my 3rd flight.. I was in a small dive getting ready to fly by... The nose..with motor broke off.. Plane picked up speed and smashed in the ground.. The prop has a touch of dirt on it.. The cone is clean.. the 2nd part that hit the dirt is filled with dirt... AND Horizon don't think that is proof that the motor fell off in air..? WTH??

ANyways.. I am sending it back..
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:01 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
Quote:
Am I the only one that has had the plane break apart in mid air
??
I'm glad to say I have not had that experience.

I was worried about the flex in the wings with the original plastic spar.
My initial fix was to insert a close fitting piano wire rod in the spar.
This went some way toward curing the problem but it was heavy.

I am now using a solid carbon rod for the spar.
Expensive? Yes! But the wing no longer flexes.

My philosophy is ....."If you see a potential problem, fix it."
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:10 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Totaly. AGREE!!! I had a E-hawke.. It was awesome.. Figured this one being PRO would be better.. LOL.. It has more servos.. that is bout the only thing better I have seen.. I really did not get to see if it flew good.. Both days I flew it.. Wind was choppy.. needed more aileron controll.. I will have to put in a better RX so I can use the flaps as ail also..

It would only take me 20 min to glue it back togeather.. BUT my girlfriend got me the plane for Christmas.. She wants me to send it back..
Old Jan 11, 2011, 06:55 AM
Team Cobra!
USA, VA, Yorktown
Joined Feb 2005
2,628 Posts
I missed your post I guess Chris. That really sucks too, something else to check before we get this new one out.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:26 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
I bought hobbytown brand CA and kicker didnt seem very good. Decided to use it as per quote BUt the junk never hardened. 6 hrs later still did not dry. cleaned as much out as I could and now waiting for epoxy to set. Maybe aeajr would share his brand with us since I coild do CA at the field if I could get it to set up in 30 seconds or so.

snip...

While on the subject of CA someone stated that could temps will make the stuff brittle enough to disassemnble parts. Why not use a can of super freeze trhat can be bought at electonics store? Kind of hard to get a large sailplane in my freezer.
I use medium or gap fill CA on Radian and Easy Glider combined with kicker/accelorator. I have various brands including, Zap, Mercury, Great Planes and some private label stuff from the local hobby store. I like Zap best but they all work without an issue. Applay CA to one side. Apply kicker to the other. When they touch, they set almost instantly. Just follow the instructions.

I have, on occasion applied CA into a crack then sprayed the kicker on the outside. I think it seeps in enough to set it.

Have never had a CA joint come apart on foam. The foam may come apart somewhere else but the CA joint holds and I fly down to about 0 F while in 15 mph winds on the slope. Never a problem with field repairs or with quick set.

I do the cold outdoor repairs in the car. Warm the plane, and the glue, for 5 minutes before using to easiest handling and best results.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:33 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy101 View Post
I'm afraid to say that I'm with you Marty. I have flown nothing but Horizon planes since I learned to fly and I cannot fly my RP either. I am waiting on parts from my LHS to make my so called RTF ready to fly!

snip

Rubbish.
Don't know how the Radian Pro is sold in your country but in the US it is not sold as a Ready to Fly plane. It is a bind and fly or a Plug and Play where you add your own receiver and battery.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 11, 2011, 07:39 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
Chris,
If you change your mind, there are some good ideas on the Radian thread.

Look at posts 6534 & 6537.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post17067598

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Sure I used a styrene based multihesive. I start by wrapping the surgical gauze
like a bandage around the saddle or area in need of fixing. Then I applied the
glue with my finger and massage it in kinda like when you papier-mâché. It takes
over night to fully cure. It dries flexible so the saddle remain at it was with a bit
of give. I figured if I was to use something that would set solid all you are doing
is moving the weak point somewhere else. I have not snapped the body since.

When I replace the body I’ll do this fix before it flies. Here’s a link to the glue
and you can get surgical gauze from any chemist shop.

http://www.prepproducts.com.au/multihesive.html

Cheers,CS
Rob
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Jan 11, 2011, 09:34 AM
No risk, no fun
Switzerland, VD, Chéserex
Joined Jan 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Don't know how the Radian Pro is sold in your country but in the US it is not sold as a Ready to Fly plane. It is a bind and fly or a Plug and Play where you add your own receiver and battery.
Sorry, I meant bind and fly...
Siggy101 is offline Find More Posts by Siggy101
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:43 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
ca probably my bad

I probably messed up un the application of the CA because I had some fome that was CA safe and broke it in half CVA'd it as per aeajr worked great joint stromnger than the foam. The epoxy fix on my fuse turned out ok almost invisable. A little shiney where I wiped up the ooze.
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:48 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Here are some pics of the damage.. I have not touched it since the crash..
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:51 AM
York, England
Joined Jan 2010
455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I bought the PNP version, and to me that should mean adding the required parts, binding and setting everything up, THEN it should be Ready To Fly. Instead I get a Ready To Fix version

Sorry if my post caused any confusion
SmartMartY is offline Find More Posts by SmartMartY
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:02 AM
Team Cobra!
USA, VA, Yorktown
Joined Feb 2005
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Here are some pics of the damage.. I have not touched it since the crash..
Dang dude, that's pretty tore up!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:10 AM
NEVER GIVE UP!
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Nov 2010
733 Posts
how well does she handle the wind? 15-25mph and can she go slower than most of Parkzone's other warbirds
Brooklynstar23 is offline Find More Posts by Brooklynstar23
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:14 AM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiremanBill View Post
Dang dude, that's pretty tore up!
My Easy Star was worse than that. Check out posts 5538, 5539 and 5540 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...93787&page=370
ecase is online now Find More Posts by ecase