HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:29 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
Discussion
Parkzone Radian Pro Owners Thread

well the Un-boxing and Maiden flight video is uploading, yes the new Parkzone Radian is here!

So i thought it's time to leave the discussion thread and start the Owners Thread

Radian Pro BNF
Key Features

* 5-channel control - throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder and flaps
* Powerful 480-size 960Kv brushless outrunner motor installed
* E-flite® Pro 30A brushless ESC installed
* Ready to fly in minutes
* Durable, lightweight and repairable Z-Foam™ construction
* Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM2 AR600 receiver installed
* 3S 11.1V 1300mAh Li-Po battery pack included
* 2- to 3-cell DC LiPo balancing charger included
* Requires a full-range DSM2 aircraft transmitter (sold separately)

Overview

Designed with experienced sailplane pilots in mind, the Radian® Pro comes out of the box with ailerons and functioning flaps that let you take advantage of sailplane mixing functions like reflex, camber and crow. But you don’t have to have a programmable system to fly it. Anyone with a 5-channel sport radio can enjoy basic four-channel control with flaps using the included Y-harness.

Like the original Radian, the Radian Pro also comes equipped with a powerful 480-size 960Kv brushless motor system that can catapult it to altitude in seconds. Its airframe is constructed from the same tough Z-Foam™ material and has been reinforced with fiberglass blades in the fuselage and wing to reduce flex. This reinforcement, along with that of the carbon fiber rod in the wing, make it possible for you to achieve a level of soaring precision with the Radian Pro that’s on par with many competition gliders.

Best of all, you can have this Bind-N-Fly® version flying in the time it takes you to charge the included battery pack and bind its Spektrum AR600 receiver to your full-range DSM2 aircraft system (sold separately). To take full advantage of the capabilities of the Radian Pro, a programmable radio system with sailplane mixing functiom

Radian Pro BNF
Specs
Wingspan: 78.5in (2000mm)
Overall Length: 45.0 in (1140mm)
Flying Weight: 34.6oz (980g)
Motor Size: 480 Outrunner Brushless Motor 960kV
CG (center of gravity): 2.75 in (70mm) back from the leading edge of the wing at the root
Prop Size: 9.75 x 7.5 Inch Folding Prop
Speed Control : E-Flite 30Amp Pro Switch-Mode Brushless ESC

Manual

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...-Manual_EN.pdf

DX6i Full House Set Up

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...DX6i_setup.pdf

DX7 Full House Set Up

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo..._DX7_setup.pdf

HorizonHobby.com Preview - ParkZone Radian Pro (7 min 40 sec)

ParkZone Radian Pro (1 min 22 sec)

My Video is still uploading it's just on 1am here goodnight, i'll post the vid in the morning, it's a big one so it will be a few hours away yet, you could always call into my youtube channel and see if its done, as said i'll add the link here in the morning

now to my maiden, I was determined to get a flight in today so we headed out to the air field after tea and it wasn't till dusk that the wind died to about 18kph i thought this is it and went for it

I must say it is a lot different than the Radian and as i tossed it forward with light power it torqued to the right, i applied rudder as with the Radian but it wasn't enough, the wind had grabbed it and i had to fight to get it back on track, lesson learned you need to use the ailerons to turn rudder just adds yaw anyway my camera girl had lost it as this was her first time with the new camera, but she got it back when i had throttled off and was gliding

it glides really nice and was just floating up there in the breeze, the light was nearly gone and my old eyes couldn't work out the orientation very well so i bought her straight down, again floating all the way, i went long on my landing as i just didn't keep the down on and it just kept floating

very impressed with this on and i'm sure with a bit of practice i'll soon have her high in a thermal

I also had put Matts DX7 Full House setting in my DX7 but they did not work, PM sent asking what needs to be adjusted so i didn't try any of the features

Edit! Matt has found the problem and will fix the original instructions, thanks for that Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly View Post
Chuck,

I missed one thing, under step #3 Setting up Flaps, the mix needs to be AUX2 --> GEAR not to flap. That will fix it so the flaps operate off the AUX 2 switch. I will get this updated ASAP. Also when doing the reflex, camber and CROW, you may need to adjust the values from positive to negative or visa versa to get everything going the right direction. That is why your ailerons are going down when CROW is engaged. You may try swapping the ports the ailerons are plugged into as that can make things move the opposite direction from the instructions too.

All setups are using the stock AR600 rx in the airplane.

Thanks

Matt Andren
Parkzone/Hobbyzone Product Development
Horizon Hobby
cheers chuck

OK Vid is ready, enjoy! Cheers Chuck

Parkzone Radian Pro Un-Boxing & Maiden (8 min 29 sec)

here is a "Step by Step" vid I have made, showing how to set up your Radian Pro's controls for "Full House" use with the DX7 using the Matt Andren, Horizon Hobby set up guide available here, this copy has been updated and works fine

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo..._DX7_setup.pdf

DX7 - PZ Radian Pro Full House Set up (14 min 48 sec)
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Jan 06, 2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Adding info
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:20 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Subscribed. I will more than likely pick up one of these things...
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:11 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,966 Posts
I guess I must be the newest Radian Pro owner on the block. I won the RC Radio Networks Radian Pro giveaway contest last night.

If you haven't heard about the RC Radio Nework, I suggest you check them out here:
http://www.rcradionetwork.com/index.php
They play great music and host a weekly live broadcast on various RC topics.

My BNF Pro should be shipped out later this week. I'm subscribed!

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:33 AM
Joined Dec 2008
49 Posts
Hi chuck
Do you think a Spectrum AR7000 receiver will fit in the Radian Pro?
Gordon
flyboy57id is offline Find More Posts by flyboy57id
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:14 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
So another thread? Guess this radian will have 2 threads as well.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Nov 17, 2010, 01:00 PM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
5,914 Posts
Subscribed.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Nov 17, 2010, 02:51 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,685 Posts
Sub'd, and hope to post here when i get mine
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:08 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,604 Posts
Come on. How about just keep the one thread. Both main threads on the Radian are almost identical. Everyone follows both and posts in both. Its a pain to track both of them.

Someone make a decision before it gets out of hand.

What say you Chuck?
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:33 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,685 Posts
I like an owners thread, i'm sick of the old one now
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Nov 17, 2010, 04:14 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
I like an owners thread, i'm sick of the old one now
This one is fine, then...so long as the other one drifts into obscurity. That should have happened on one of the Radian threads but it did not. Now we have two that are consistently kept alive.
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:48 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroRecon View Post
Come on. How about just keep the one thread. Both main threads on the Radian are almost identical. Everyone follows both and posts in both. Its a pain to track both of them.

Someone make a decision before it gets out of hand.

What say you Chuck?
sorry i thought this is how it works? someone starts a "discussion" thread when a new product is announced, then when the product is released to the public, we dump the 50 page thread of people crapping on, theres more discussion about hobby king and multiplex than the Radian pro and a lot of other non related trash, about will this fit this and that fit that

this thread should hold more info about the Radian Pro and make it easier for people to find that info without looking through 50 pages of

i'll be leaving this thread open, if anyone doesn't want to read/post in it thats fine by me, stay with the Discussion thread

cheers chuck

PS Un-boxing vid had a hiccup and didn't load while i slept so trying it again, 95% done so with a little luck it will be up soon

PSS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy57id View Post
Hi chuck
Do you think a Spectrum AR7000 receiver will fit in the Radian Pro?
Gordon
sorry i don't own an AR7000, there is a slot that is the size of the AR500/600/6200 that the Rx sits in, you might need to adjust the foam to get a bigger one in, you will be able to see the area when the vid is up as i filmed my Ar6200 in it Edit: haha just put the movie up and look what it used as the photo :p
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Nov 17, 2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:11 PM
From trucks to planes
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Sep 2005
194 Posts
Ah, what irony. I bought my Radian RTF on Saturday and maidened it Sunday. And last night I discover the Radian Pro thread.

Hah.
Slo-V Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Slo-V Flyer
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:06 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo-V Flyer View Post
Ah, what irony. I bought my Radian RTF on Saturday and maidened it Sunday. And last night I discover the Radian Pro thread.

Hah.
Dont worry about it. The Radian is a fantastic plane. It may not have ailerons and flaps but it has been my favorite plane I have ever had.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:30 PM
Build, Fly, Crash then Repeat
United States, VA, Yorktown
Joined Oct 2005
533 Posts
Picking mine up tomorrow after work, and I think I will definitely be calling in sick Friday with a severe case of radianitis
flydrive rc is offline Find More Posts by flydrive rc
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:56 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
Just re-checked mine and i have followed the DX7 instructions to a tee and they DO NOT WORK!

when i use the Aux2 for flaps the Ailerons come down

when i use the 3 way switch in norm the Ailerons go up flaps down, about 1/16"

in the 1 position everything is level then in the 2 position the flaps go up and ailerons down

the gear switch puts the flaps right down and the ailerons down a little bit

cheers chuck

PS i am using an AR6200 in my Pro
Matt answered with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattfly View Post
Chuck,

I missed one thing, under step #3 Setting up Flaps, the mix needs to be AUX2 --> GEAR not to flap. That will fix it so the flaps operate off the AUX 2 switch. I will get this updated ASAP. Also when doing the reflex, camber and CROW, you may need to adjust the values from positive to negative or visa versa to get everything going the right direction. That is why your ailerons are going down when CROW is engaged. You may try swapping the ports the ailerons are plugged into as that can make things move the opposite direction from the instructions too.

All setups are using the stock AR600 rx in the airplane.

Thanks

Matt Andren
Parkzone/Hobbyzone Product Development
Horizon Hobby
I fixed my set by changing the Flap to Gear and also swapping the Aileron plugs over in the Rx, now everything works how it's meant to

I have one question though when i use the 3 way switch for camber or reflex the Ailerons go up/down a little higher/lower than the Flaps, how do i adjust the flaps now to line up even with the Ailerons?

cheers chuck
Last edited by ChuckTseeker; Nov 23, 2010 at 08:43 PM.