SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:14 AM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
Cool
My quick and simple GoPro Hero HD pan/tilt mount...

I threw this together real quick, but haven't flown it yet. It will go on my Slow Stick, and is intended to hang below the fuselage "stick", the same way I've always done the board cameras on it.

The clear plastic is the bottom half of the plastic case that GWS receivers are shipped in. The Hero HD fits perfectly into it, a perfect snug fit. With the Velcro strap, it isn't going anywhere, at least not without the mount...

Hopefully there won't be any vibrations, but I usually soft mount the pan servo, and let the weight of the camera act as a damper, and it's worked good so far. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it works as well with this one!

It could also be used upright as well, though you might want a little bit stronger pan servo with the weight sitting on top of it, rather than hanging below it.

The pivots for tilt are the little brass sleeves that come with standard size servos. They are tightened onto the plywood blocks that are glued to the clear plastic. They fit snug into the plywood sides that hang down.

It weighs 1.8oz as shown in the last picture, minus the camera and strap.

I still have to wait on a 2.5mm plug to make a harness to plug into my transmitter, and notch the plastic to make room for the plug to fit. Then I can test fly it and report back here!
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:29 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,368 Posts
Cool, I'm actually thinking about doing the same thing when I get my GP. Probably end Y-Cabling both my KX and the GP camera together. Did you use a heavier duty servo to move it around?
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:28 AM
Praying for better weather
Joined Dec 2007
4,211 Posts
Looks good mate, i made mine using a much stronger standard size futaba servo for pan. After one hard landing the mount snapped off the standard servo drive shaft and catapulted the camera several feet away.

I was lucky, it did scratch the lens but not the area that the sensor uses so it doidnt effect the picture. Tat was on a much thicker stronger spline. But with a servo that small and with such a weak shaft i would be very cautious. One scratch on that lens after its come away and thats on expensive bill
Coyote64 is offline Find More Posts by Coyote64
Old Nov 17, 2010, 07:52 AM
Michigan Skeeterz Division
S.East Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
59 Posts
Nice job!! :d
dbroaddu is offline Find More Posts by dbroaddu
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:10 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,446 Posts
I had one on a pan/tilt with a metal geared 19gr servo - much stronger than than the one you have on pan.
It was too small for the gopro - the wind buffeting the camera made it unwatchable.
I think you will need a full size - or alternatively the gopro held in position by an alternative bearing support of some kind.

I'd be inclined to look at a dual bearing one in the 35-45gr range. Supertec do some at a reasonable price.
Shikra is offline Find More Posts by Shikra
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MultiWii OSD - MWOSD NG
Old Nov 17, 2010, 08:26 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
I tried mounting a Go Pro directly to the HS985 Roll servo on the camera mount on my Octo. It was too twitchy due to the fact that servos move in steps and are not smooth in their motion. It also twitched alot from the small inputs that were coming from the gyro used to stabilize it. I build a 3to1 gear reduction box for it and it works great now, no twitchy movement seen in the videos.
UAVX Camera Stabilization (0 min 30 sec)
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:38 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,446 Posts
Very very nice job on that Tarro - could you provide a bit of detail?.

Who's the weird guy in the mirror - looks like an alien!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:52 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra View Post
Very very nice job on that Tarro - could you provide a bit of detail?.

Who's the weird guy in the mirror - looks like an alien!
LOL.
That is a Roll/Tilt stabilized mount for my octo. I am making a Pan mount for my Maxi swift to smooth out the movement, I will post some pictures as it progresses. I am making the Pan mount for the Maxi because it is not smooth at all when I pan and it looks bad in the video.
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:19 AM
Sarasota, FL
Joined May 2009
1,029 Posts
Great Job! I have been thinking of a similar pan tilt for my easy star. Your rig will be
what I use on my video camera pod.

Question: Does that camera take only pictures or video as well? If pictures, what system did you use to trigger the shutter? Something like this...http://www.rc-cam.com/bitsw.htm
can you elaborate on your stabilizer system? It looks too big for a RC plane, but neat none the less
TIA
Brett
bsfixit is offline Find More Posts by bsfixit
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:03 AM
Knobbs
Friday Harbor, WA -San Juan Island
Joined Aug 2008
479 Posts
The GoPro takes still shots in 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 second intervals, in addition to HD video. So, you just push the button on the camera before you take off. You get some pictures you don't need usually, but you can just delete them.

Rishelman
Rishelman is offline Find More Posts by Rishelman
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:17 AM
Sarasota, FL
Joined May 2009
1,029 Posts
I see… Thank you for the info on the GoPro.
Brett
bsfixit is offline Find More Posts by bsfixit
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:18 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
Thanks for the warning on the small servo! I though it may be a little small, but didn't think it would break off! lol I'd sure hate to scratch the lens...

I wonder if I'd be better of with something like a nose gear block to hold the camera, then a linkage to the servo with pan it. I may re-think this before I take it aloft!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:28 PM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,446 Posts
I'd say that would be the best way to go.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:12 PM
Joined Jan 2002
4,370 Posts
Ok, take two!

I couldn't find a small enough nose gear block in my parts, so I cut down an old GWS 400 brushed gearbox instead. I used the bearings and prop shaft, and enough plastic to hold them and have something to mount it to the plane. Should be much stronger now!

GoPro Hero HD Pan/Tilt Mount on Slow Stick (0 min 40 sec)
Old Nov 18, 2010, 05:58 AM
SILURIA / UK
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2009
2,446 Posts
That looks the dogs danglies.
Much better. Funnily enough I was thinking of building my next one out of an old motor too. Got some old bell motors from my Tri - complete with mounting, dual bearings, threaded shaft and locking nuts. Great minds think alike.

Is that your trusty slow stick?
RCG Plus Member