HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 05:31 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,307 Posts
Jim

if you've not tried water based stuff, give it a go. Much nicer to use, no nasty chemicals to breathe in mist form and clean up is a breeze. It does take a bit more to dry though, especially in cold weather but nothing a heat gun/hairdryer doesn't take care of.

I've only used them a few times but I'm converted. No more having to wear a mask or face a danger of spraying in a small shed.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 07:28 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
Auto-Air

Interesting you mention that again Steve. I did investigate water based paints extensively before I started my airbrush trials. I followed more than one airbrush forum and made phone calls to suppliers etc. I got a fright when I asked the price of them at my local auto spray paints shop.
The final thing that put me off was the problem of before and after compatibility. The technical rep. that I spoke to could not tell me if it was ok to use it over conventional single pack acrylic auto primer/filler systems to start with. They recommended the water based primer developed for these paints. Then they could not assure me that would adhere to epoxy fibreglass substrate. Also, on the forums, they suggest finishing with 2 pack. However, every now and then, there was a posting reporting that the entire decorative layer of paint or paints would peel off the substrate for no explainable reason!
I got scared off and went to acrylics. I then found that I could airbrush outside with my mask and gloves on, wash the airbrush out efficiently with a small amount of thinners all with a minimal amount of exposure (in terms of health etc.). Zero compatibility concerns and known adhesion etc.
The final advantage is cost. It is very cheap to buy the 3 primary colours in for example, 250ml sizes and mix the intermediate and other colours. I downloaded a colour chart from a website and did a bit of reading of this.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:14 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,307 Posts
Jim

I can tell you I use 3m auto acrylic primer underneath, and 3m auto clear acrylic (both 1 pack and thinned ~50%) over the top without any issues so far, and I know some lure makes use similar paints without issues but definitive testing would be needed to be done with your particular paints.

You might want to research prices some more, I got some 60ml bottles from my LHS for $12ish, but they are available on the web much cheaper, e.g. Auto Air @ ~$8/120mL.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Jun 10, 2012, 08:31 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
That's good Steve. I might look into again.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 01:57 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
Apology

My apologies for neglecting this thread and the project. I have had a couple of minor health crisies lately, and one or two other "life" matters getting in the way.
Also, my internet connection was terminated by my provided as they shut down the tower providing my wireless link. So I've been running around choosing and setting up an alternative.

I hope to get it back in action soon!

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:30 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
Work on this project is scheduled to re-commence this week!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:22 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
Tail surface cores

I have just cut two tail surface cores. Nice cuts without a hitch, all the experience cutting cores is starting to pay off.
Meanwhile, I have thought out a better way to fit the alignment tubes to the tail plugs. Instead of fiddling around trying to cut them into the cores before bagging and then restoring the airfoil shape around fill and so on, I will do them after. I will go ahead and bag them, then burn the holes into the root end with a heated steel rod. Similar to burning servo wires into a set of wing cores prior to vac bagging.
I will make a jig to set the tubes into the burned voids in the surfaces.

Sometimes setbacks, like the one I had with the first set, pay off.

I can feel my enthusiasm for the project rising...........

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:11 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
More Illness!

I've been recovering for a very serious bout of the flu this last week.
I'm on the mend now, but will have to get myself back into normal functioning again.......
It might be another week before I get back to this project.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:29 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
380 Posts
Wish you all the best Jim !! Waiting for the continuation of this great thread.

Dave
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:20 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
Dave,

I'm still catching up on all the domestic and work stuff that got deferred due to my illness that went on for weeks, but hope to get back to the project this week.

I could not identify the address on your avatar. What country do you live in? Just curious.
Thanks for the post and the interest in my project.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:27 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Hey Jim, good to hear you are on the mend and getting things back in order. Being sick is truly never fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
I could not identify the address on your avatar. What country do you live in? Just curious..
Here, let me Google it for you. Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:30 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
Thanks Johnathon! What access to information we have dirrectly to hand now days! That "Let Me Google It For You", is a clever little bit of trickery isn't it?

But then, so much is now days............

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:38 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Scary isn't it? I catch myself doing the same thing though.

Now if Google would only hurry up and introduce the "Beam me up Google" function, so we could visit all the exotic slopes out there with the click of a button.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:01 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
380 Posts
Yeah right, Switzerland

It's a little country on the center of Europe. Bellinzona is the "city of Castles".
On my avatar it is written in italian language, because here in Swiss we speak 3 main languages, German French and Italian. I live on the south border, near Italy.

I felt in love with composite materials, and i'm trying to learn as much as i can on this technique. Your thread is a very inspiration !

Dave
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Old Nov 06, 2012, 01:08 AM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDave View Post
Yeah right, Switzerland

It's a little country on the center of Europe. Bellinzona is the "city of Castles".
On my avatar it is written in italian language, because here in Swiss we speak 3 main languages, German French and Italian. I live on the south border, near Italy.

I think that's what confused me, not that it takes much!

I felt in love with composite materials, and i'm trying to learn as much as i can on this technique. Your thread is a very inspiration !

Dave
As can be seen above, I still don't know how to do multiple quotes in the one post!

I'm glad you are subscribed and getting something out of it Dave. Don't forget though, I'm still very much a learner, hopefully always will be.
I have many more experienced builders on these forums to thank for my continued "apprenticeship" and education.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Nov 06, 2012 at 01:09 AM. Reason: See edit.