HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:27 PM
Eureka, CA
Joined Nov 2008
429 Posts
That sucks about the carbon factor on your radio range limitations. Its starting to make me wonder how my transmitter will handle a carbon enriched fuse, since I have a cheap dx7. Have you looked into the carbon specific receivers for your transmitter? I know they make one for the spektrum but I'm not sure if they are worth their salt in real world. Thanks for sharing your testing, I'm learning something new everyday here on RCG.

Love your moulded idea Jim, it's too bad I don't live closer to you I'd buy one in a second, its a sexy and unique design.
alexhaben is offline Find More Posts by alexhaben
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:04 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexhaben View Post
That sucks about the carbon factor on your radio range limitations. Its starting to make me wonder how my transmitter will handle a carbon enriched fuse, since I have a cheap dx7. Have you looked into the carbon specific receivers for your transmitter? I know they make one for the spektrum but I'm not sure if they are worth their salt in real world. Thanks for sharing your testing, I'm learning something new everyday here on RCG.

Love your moulded idea Jim, it's too bad I don't live closer to you I'd buy one in a second, its a sexy and unique design.
The RF section of my tx. is now FrSky. I'm busy reading all I can of the FrSky thread(s). Antenna mods included. I am sure I have not exhausted this matter, not by a long shot!
I have just given up changing rx.'s in the prototype Wompoo, the wiring loom is starting to suffer from all the repositioning required and all the moving.
It will be revealing to see how my plank: "Circa" range tests on full power. I intend to do this as soon as the flooding rain stops here. It has one of my new FrSky rx.'s in it and some carbon in the fuse and spar caps.
Thanks for the favourable comments Alex! It's always good to get feedback. Needless to say, I like the plane sufficiently to commit to full moulded construction of one (or more), I suppose that speaks for itself. It is a delightful performer with no vices.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is online now Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:01 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
6,946 Posts
Joiner tube and indicence tubes in wing plug.

I have now set up the bench with accurately positioned MDF panels at the dihedral (19mm per side) with a 110mm wide flat section in the middle to position the centre part of the wing that will be fixed to the fuselage.
The joiner tube can be seen in the accompanying picture. The incidence pin cut out is next.
I discovered an easy way to make the tubes for the incidence pins. I have some 3mm carbon rod that I will use for the pins. Just by chance I had some nylon tube that fits it quite snuggly. I will wrap some glass cloth around that and bind it with carbon tow. The nylon tube will stay in there.
I plan to use these for the tail surfaces. Two per surface.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:06 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,401 Posts
HeyJim- looking good! Is this going to be a wing or a plug for another mould?
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:27 PM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
6,946 Posts
Plug construction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
HeyJim- looking good! Is this going to be a wing or a plug for another mould?
Josh,

This going to be a plug, or more accurately, part of a plug. The wings will be glued onto the inner flat section (that eventually becomes part of the fuselage). Between these glued joins will be two pre-made fibreglass sheet ribs each join. These in turn will sandwhich a cartridge paper spacer glued in with spray adhesive.
When the assembled wing is eventually vac bagged, the
entire assembled wing will be glued onto the fuse along with the tail surfaces. Then I will use a thin kerf hacksaw blade to cut off the wings again using the paper spacers as guides and insurance for a clean accurate cut. ie. cut along the paper.
They will have the joiner tube and incidence pin tubes in place to manufacture the moulds from.
The five separate parts will then become the plugs for five separate moulds. I might be able to get away with four - one only tail surface plug.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Feb 16, 2012 at 08:30 PM. Reason: grammar/syntax
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:50 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,401 Posts
That sounds like a great way to do it Jim!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:16 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
6,946 Posts
3 inner panels joined with tubes.

I plugged the tube ends and slotted them in as per the pictures. Then joined up with spray adhesive. Splooge filling of voids.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2012, 06:04 PM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
6,946 Posts
Delay.

I almost ready to get back to the wings, they are now ready for vacuum bagging.
I've been distracted from this due to repairing and rebuilding damage from last years flying at Manilla during the festival.
I hope to get on with it later this week or early next week.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 03:34 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
6,946 Posts
Wings in the bag.

The wing plugs are finally in the vacuum bag. I hope now to get some flow with the project, there's been so many delays.

I had a fly of the prototype out at Mount Borah a couple of weeks ago and it refreshed my enthusiasm for getting on with this moulded version.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:56 PM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
6,946 Posts
Glass/epoxy tubes.

I made up a little jig for winding some strips of release sheet plastic onto mandrels which were waxed first. Painters drop sheet actually. I wound it with about 50% overlap and terminated each end with a piece of tape. Then slid the very nice Soller Composites glass sock or sleave over the plastic covered mandrel. Then the glass fabric was wet out with epoxy resin and left in the sun to cure.
The small one is 3 mm and the larger 5 mm.

Jim.

edit:
I just checked the results and they both released easily! Successfull small diameter tube making has been a bit of a challenge for me!
The spiral wound drop sheet plastic came out one end when gently pulled. The resultant clearance is just about right!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Apr 04, 2012 at 03:02 AM. Reason: see edit.
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:33 AM
Whisper Model Aircraft
Greensburg, PA
Joined Feb 2008
558 Posts
Looks good!

Your work table has that war look too.... I can only take pictures in certain directions in my room
heliwill10 is offline Find More Posts by heliwill10
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:35 PM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
6,946 Posts
More tubes.

Encouraged with my tube making of yesterday, I will make the main joiner tube (10mm dia) next, maybe later today. My approach is to first use only one layer of glass fabric sleave untill it proves to release off the mandrel. After that, if required, I'll add another one or two layers.
I plan to get the joiner tubes splooged into the tail surface cores tonight and get onto bagging them this weekend or earlier.

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:17 AM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
6,946 Posts
Setting tubes in tail surface plugs.

I set the joiner alignment tubes into the tailplane surfaces with "Q" cells and epoxy splooge.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 05:59 PM
Entropy is happening!
Joined Aug 2008
6,946 Posts
Video tape.

I made the main wing joiner tube (10mm) last night using the 1/2 Soller Composites 1/2 inch light glass sleave. This time I used video tape as the release film. It did work, but not nearly as well as the drop sheet plastic cut into narrow strips. It took more effort to get the tube off the mandrel and then a bit of fuss to get all the tape out of the inside of the tube.

Drop sheet plastic in future for this job!

Jim.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:08 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Hi Jim,
I'm guessing you've maybe seen this thread by Target, but just in case not...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632908

I'd assume ballast tubes and wing joiners are fairly similar in initial construction so perhaps there might be a few build techniques that could be shared too.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl