SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2012, 10:18 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,938 Posts
I rather like the Simplex Allen.
The model posted below is similar in looks and it fly's like a dream.
A 1938 Zenith by Lackey.
Merry Christmas to you as well Allen!!

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:10 AM
New Zealand, Auckland, Papakura
Joined Nov 2006
362 Posts
Zenith

Hi Bill,

That Zenith looks lovely. And I do like that color scheme, very similar to the Tiger Moth which I sold earlier this year as I am concentrating just on vintage now. (Just realized, perhaps I shouldn't have posted the picture as this is a vintage blog - apologize if this offends anyone).
The engine in the Zenith looks like a converted glow engine. Is this correct? And if so, where are the points? Do the glow engines convert well/easily to spark ignition?
Allen
Teals1 is offline Find More Posts by Teals1
Old Dec 17, 2012, 09:16 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,938 Posts
Shame on you Allen for selling that Moth, it was gorgeous!

The engine in the Zenith is simply a Enya 40 open rocker fs. The wiring you see leads to a remote glow.
The Enya's and early Saito's had the plug facing forwards.
They can however be put on ignition easily enough if you ever wanted to go that route.

Bill
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:12 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
There is a beautiful Viking twin for sale right now on Ebay, guys. The auction ends tomorrow morning.... and Bill, the seller is in Canada. I'm not in a position to bid on it myself so I thought I'd call your attention to it here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...:B:WNA:US:1123
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:58 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,938 Posts
Thanks alot Mike, I appreciate the heads up but I'm not in any position to go for it either.
Lousy position eh bud!
Basically the wrong time of year.

Bill
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:01 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Thanks alot Mike, I appreciate the heads up but I'm not in any position to go for it either.
Lousy position eh bud!
Basically the wrong time of year.

Bill
Well... Maybe another RCG're will get it.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:35 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
736 Posts
I had a Viking for several years, but traded it for some engines that I would fly. I did run the Viking several times using two coils, two transistors, and two sets of batteries. I did not have a twin coil. They run OK, but not much power. They also have kind of an aluminum strap for a rod cap which does not look to substantial. But they are neat engines, and run pretty smooth since both cyl. fire at the same time. They are also pretty heavy for the power they make.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:40 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,666 Posts
I wouldn't have run the Viking if I got it... well I might have run it but I definitely wouldn't have flown it. It certainly is a neat looking engine with that red case and the picture of the Viking molded into it and machined. I just thought it would make a cool addition to any collection. At the $202 it sold for and the condition it was in, it would have looked really good in my collection. Oh well.... Maybe next time.
Old Jan 01, 2013, 05:09 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,938 Posts
Hey gent's, this is my ignition engine collection so far. Not that many really but they are all complete and quite a few have never been run.

I'm looking for more all the time and these will all likely go to my son who's only 9 and fly's extremely well.
He's always asking '' what engine is that your working on?''

I need to get these engines into a show case.

Bill
Old Jan 01, 2013, 06:32 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
70 Posts
Nice collection Bill! I'm looking for some pictures of mine too. I know I have them here somewhere...
Frank Klenk is offline Find More Posts by Frank Klenk
Old Jan 01, 2013, 10:53 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
736 Posts
Really nice engine collection there Bill. I probably missed it in the pictures, but I did not see a Super Cyclone. They are very cool engines to look at, and run very strong for a very old design. I had two of them but I blew one up when the thrust brg. came apart. I removed the thrust brg. on the other one and made a bronze bushing to replace it. In fact, I have replaced that brg. in all of my ignition engines that used them. Several of my friends have blown there engines from that same bearing, and they run just as strong on a bushing.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:54 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
Bill, those engines look great.
Was that from the small box you showed me last week?
How about those in the bigger box under the biplane.

You know youíre going to have to set each one up and take pictures---

Front, side, top, rear, bottom, etc. and post each one by itself. That shouldnít take you more than a few months!

And while you are at it, set aside a few old Fox .35ís for the U/C combat weíre up for next summer. Iíll make up a few combat wings. Iíll bet Madison will give you a good run.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:59 AM
South coast of England
Joined Nov 2006
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV8R View Post
Bill, those engines look great.
You know youíre going to have to set each one up and take pictures---Front, side, top, rear, bottom, etc. and post each one by itself. That shouldnít take you more than a few months!

Itís a bit like counting penguins except at least the engines donít keep moving around. I canít see a Super Cyke, but I do see about 40 engines including:
Anderson Spitfire
Atwood Champ x2
Baby Cyclone
Brat
Brown Jr x3
Bunch Tiger Aero x2
Delong 30
Forster 29
Forster 99
GHQ
Hoof Fleetwind
McCoy 29
O&R 19
O&R 23
O&R 60
OK Super 60
OK twin
Orwick
Rocket Victor
Stentor
Super Hurricane
Syncro B
Torpedo 29

What are the ones Iíve missed ?
lordofthewings04 is offline Find More Posts by lordofthewings04
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:43 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,747 Posts
You missed a few.
Bill still has them laid out for display.
Most of those are in mint un-run condition. Rather nice to be able to pick up a 70 year old mint piece of machinery and admire the workmanship.
Thanks Bill, nice visit.
John
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Jan 04, 2013, 06:31 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Hey gent's, this is my ignition engine collection so far. Not that many really but they are all complete and quite a few have never been run.

I'm looking for more all the time and these will all likely go to my son who's only 9 and fly's extremely well.
He's always asking '' what engine is that your working on?''

I need to get these engines into a show case.

Bill
Pictures on my site were taken by dear old friend Robert van Mossevelde and that took several sessions ! I did take the last add-on's myself with a simpler camera but that is not bad neither. I use one of those totally blank very large desk paper blocks so one can make a background as well by simply folding open, holding up with some tape.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald