Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:06 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Bob, here it is.
Brian
In that scan you did of the engine, I have to say that that one guy's approach to dethermalizing using a 12 gauge shotgun is sort of unique.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:56 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,545 Posts
Yeah... it makes a funny photo caption... but I doubt that it's strictly true as written! It would mean major repairs every flight.
Good means of dealing with the idiots who object to engine music!
I'm about to go down and run some engines right now, but we're not allowed to discuss it here, 'cos they're diesels.
brokenenglish is online now Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:53 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Bill, I'll put these photo's up here for future reference - at least they will last longer than the listing. Reggy, anyone ! What is this thing ?
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:35 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,812 Posts
I'd like to buy it Bob but it would be nice to have some idea as to where it was born and when.
I think I would offer 500.00 without knowing anything but not a G note.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:51 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
I think I might have posted this engine before, not sure.

Maybe Reg would no this......are these engines common over there??

Bill
Browsing trough Holger Menrad's books I found that it was designed by Roger&Geary, surprisingly one can buy plans and castings from Woking Precision Models and plans from Nexus
Reginald is offline Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:09 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Bill, I'll put these photo's up here for future reference - at least they will last longer than the listing. Reggy, anyone ! What is this thing ?
I did offer a max bid already no reply. 1000$ is a lot for an unknown engine, the closest I can come up with is an Atom V of 30cc and that's British. Seems well made. Rough castings but that does'nt mean it was home-cast nessaceraly. What is that reservoir on the right side ? Oil ?
Old Jul 08, 2012, 02:50 AM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,545 Posts
Reggie,
What I find unusual on this engine is the spark plug. The entire engine is full of excellent model engineering practice, with all sorts of clever little gadgets (reminds me of Gems' or ETW's engines), but the spark plug is a model normally used on old Jeeps and Land Rovers, totally outside the model engineering world. One wonders why the builder wouldn't have used a Champion V or similar 3/8" plug... which raises the question of whether it's the "original" plug or not, or whether the engine was resold by someone who just put any old plug in it.
Very interesting...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:40 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
That sure looks like a English homemade engine built from castings. There were quite a few fellows in the UK who were big into making their own engines to use in tether cars and boats many years ago. There might be some pics of a similar engine on their websites that they manage too. If it was made during the WWII years, with the shortages of materials and parts, that might have been the only spark plug they could have acquired.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 09:31 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,812 Posts
Whatever it is it's cool as hell but out of my reach.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:27 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
I'd like to buy it Bob but it would be nice to have some idea as to where it was born and when.
I think I would offer 500.00 without knowing anything but not a G note.

Bill
He was offered 700$ if not sold on ebay. No not by me.
Old Jul 11, 2012, 07:09 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
They don't come much better than this -

" I am selling my "Wallaby", an engine designed by Edgar T Westbury. A brief description of this engine would be, a water cooled, 28cc, 360'degree, inline twin cylinder, pushrod 4stroke, spark ignition petrol engine with forced lubrication. The overall dimensions of the engine are approx, length 7ins, width 5.5ins and height 8.5ins and weighs 3.5kgs. This engine has never been tested or run due to the lack of a suitable ignition system."

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Wallab...item4ab9b02858
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Old Jul 11, 2012, 09:23 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,898 Posts
Nice Nice Nice. Unfortunately it is for UK bidders only.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 11, 2012, 10:44 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Nice Nice Nice. Unfortunately it is for UK bidders only.
He's got a 10cc V-8 homebuilt as well. UK only ? Let's see the end result...
Old Jul 11, 2012, 11:46 PM
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,545 Posts
At the risk of boring everyone, we still have the same problem. Maybe the seller doesn't want to ship such a complex and probably heavy piece internationally... But eBay regularly change their default settings and recently, UK sellers who are perfectly willing to sell internationally are having their sales blocked just because it's a default setting. They didn't even know! I've just purchased a couple of things in this situation. I "got around" the eBay nonsense, and the seller was perfectly willing to ship to me (and did!).
But there's even more stupid: I recently sold something on eBay UK, and selected the option for it to be visible on eBay US/Canada. Within a few hours, I received a mail informing me that the "international visibility" option had been cancelled by eBay France (!!!), because I live in France and eBay France doesn't have that option (which is exactly why I sell on UK or US!). I then sold another item, but put it on eBay US, with the option of visibility on eBay UK. This gave the same result, the international option, on an eBay US sale, was cancelled by eBay France! I've been meaning to complain about this to eBay US and UK, but I'm overloaded with work (like starting around 5am every day...) and I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm going to "prepare" an action before I next sell something.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:07 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,898 Posts
I saw those strange things here in the USA too. I would suggest putting a comment in the description that you'll sell internationally despite the website settings. But this UK seller had added a specific comment in the description stating UK only.
RCG Plus Member