HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:09 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,871 Posts
I think I might have posted this engine before, not sure.

Maybe Reg would no this......are these engines common over there??

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:02 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,688 Posts
Stentor

They're not ultra rare, but not very common either. Also an excellent engine to use. You occasionally see one flying at SAM35 meetings in the UK.
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:48 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Let me say first up – I am extremely impressed with this engine. The fact that it was made in 1946 just makes it all the more remarkable. We don’t know a lot about the gifted maker of this R-B Special 29, except his name was Bob Steele of the Steele Machine Co., in Cleveland Ohio. Anyone who has examined other sparkies from this era will immediately visualise flimsy die-castings, side-port induction and a piston that resembles a tin can rattling around in a downpipe (someone gave them the apt name of “Drill Press Specials”). Not this engine though, as it had to have been at least a decade ahead of its time. Take the castings for instance – you won’t find egg shell thin ones here. They are all massively strong sand castings (the all up weight is just under 9 oz.) and all workmanship is Top Class. It features an iron piston lapped to Enya standards, running in a drop-in steel liner which is flanged at the top. Thus like most modern era engines, the liner is clamped between the head and the cylinder block. Notice that the latter is a separate casting (with the cooling fins machined in), and is held to the lower crankcase by 3 very long bolts, while an extra 3 short bolts help hold the head down. The crankshaft (counterbalanced by cut-aways on either side of the crankpin) runs in twin ball races, the smaller one at the front. The crankpin engages an alloy disc which, via a short steel shaft through the backplate, drives the fabricated sheet metal timer. Having a rear mounted timer means it would be a breeze to convert to glow running, especially considering that the compression on this thing would be at least 7.5 : 1. The con-rod is machined alloy, with a bronze big-end bearing, the little end is plain but contains a bronze rod gudgeon pin. The only negatives are the backplate screws are tiny and wouldn’t look out of place in a Swiss watch – that just means a light touch with the screwdriver. The smooth faced prop driver is also not positively keyed to the shaft, so a bit of fiddling is required when trying to fit a prop in the right place. The bearer spacing (probably due to the hefty castings) is a bit large at 1 5/16”, and of course, the venturi gets in the way of the R.H. bearer. The handy location of the needle valve adjustment makes up slightly for that however. Nice touches are the machined circles around each mounting hole, and the extra long shaft thread at the front. This engine was also made in a 36 size (stroked out from the 29) as well as a 29 glow version in 1950. As this beautifully made engine was obviously a time consuming labor of love for its maker, there was no way it could have competed price-wise with its cheap and (not so) cheerful competitors. I would say Bob Steele has long since departed, but he left behind a jewel – probably the best engine that nobody has ever heard of ! (more photo's on the Vintage Glow Engines thread)
PS Bob Steele was also involved (with Joe Delong) with the earlier 1939 D & S motors, out of Lima, OH. The last photo shows a 1940 Delong & Steele 60.
Twin-Stack is offline Find More Posts by Twin-Stack
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Jul 05, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:24 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
I think I might have posted this engine before, not sure.

Maybe Reg would no this......are these engines common over there??

Bill
I do'nt have one in my collection but do know it of course. I would'nt say they are common but one turns up for sale occasionally on ebay. What you have is an Mk-1 model with straight cylinder head, it is of 6cc capacity. Was made by (or for ?) the then well known Model Aircraft Stores in Bournemouth England.
Reginald is online now Find More Posts by Reginald
Old Jul 05, 2012, 02:28 PM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-Stack View Post
Let me say first up – I am extremely impressed with this engine. The fact that it was made in 1946 just makes it all the more remarkable. We don’t know a lot about the gifted maker of this R-B Special 29, except his name was Bob Steele of the Steele Machine Co., in Cleveland Ohio. Anyone who has examined other sparkies from this era will immediately visualise flimsy castings, side-port induction and a piston that resembles a tin can rattling around in a downpipe (someone gave them the apt name of “Drill Press Specials”). Not this engine though, as it had to have been at least a decade ahead of its time. Take the castings for instance – you won’t find egg shell thin ones here. They are all massively strong sand castings (the all up weight is just under 9 oz.) and all workmanship is Top Class. It features an iron piston lapped to Enya standards, running in a drop-in steel liner which is flanged at the top. Thus like most modern era engines, the liner is clamped between the head and the cylinder block. Notice that the latter is a separate casting (with the cooling fins machined in), and is held to the lower crankcase by 3 very long bolts, while an extra 3 short bolts help hold the head down. The crankshaft (counterbalanced by cut-aways on either side of the crankpin) runs in twin ball races, the smaller one at the front. The crankpin engages an alloy disc which, via a short steel shaft through the backplate, drives the fabricated sheet metal timer. Having a rear mounted timer means it would be a breeze to convert to glow running, especially considering that the compression on this thing would be at least 7.5 : 1. The con-rod is machined alloy, with a bronze big-end bearing, the little end is plain but contains a bronze rod gudgeon pin. The only negatives are the backplate screws are tiny and wouldn’t look out of place in a Swiss watch – that just means a light touch with the screwdriver. The smooth faced prop driver is also not positively keyed to the shaft, so a bit of fiddling is required when trying to fit a prop in the right place. The bearer spacing (probably due to the hefty castings) is a bit large at 1 5/16”, and of course, the venturi gets in the way of the R.H. bearer. The handy location of the needle valve adjustment makes up slightly for that however. Nice touches are the machined circles around each mounting hole, and the extra long shaft thread at the front. This engine was also made in a 36 size (stroked out from the 29) as well as a 29 glow version in 1950. As this beautifully made engine was obviously a time consuming labor of love for its maker, there was no way it could have competed price-wise with its cheap and (not so) cheerful competitors. I would say Bob Steele has long since departed, but he left behind a jewel – probably the best engine that nobody has ever heard of ! (more photo's on the Vintage Glow Engines thread)
PS Bob Steele was also involved (with Joe Delong) with the earlier 1939 D & S motors, out of Lima, OH
Pretty rare engine you got there.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:22 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
On Aussie eBay -
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Model-eng...item27c8d390f0

And on eBay UK -
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TITAN-60-1...item231f2b46ce
Last edited by Twin-Stack; Jul 05, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2012, 08:28 PM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Pretty rare engine you got there.
One for sale here Reggy....
http://www.swiftengines.com/inventory.php?show=8
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:25 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,871 Posts
It's nice but not 2G's nice.

Bill
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:52 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,880 Posts
Quote:
Oh well I do have a few casting kits for sale on Regbay if anyone feels like it,
I would have to search for the Corncob and Atom plans but I'm pretty sure I've got them. C
Old Jul 06, 2012, 12:57 AM
Belgium
Joined Aug 2004
3,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Oh well I do have a few casting kits for sale on Regbay if anyone feels like it,
I would have to search for the Corncob and Atom plans but I'm pretty sure I've got them. C
Paid 120$ for that Hassad/Shock at the time, castings are by DeKalb, I will sell for 100$ postage free and include both other castings free or make an offer. I really do have to clear my garage/workshop
Old Jul 06, 2012, 01:25 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Hey Bill (or anyone else for that matter),
Do you have access to back issues of SAM Speaks magazine ? In issue # 195 (May-June 2007) Charlie Bruce did a test on the engine above - the RB Special. I would really like to get a scan of that, if someone has it. Thanks, BOB
Old Jul 06, 2012, 03:23 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Hey Bill (or anyone else for that matter),
Do you have access to back issues of SAM Speaks magazine ? In issue # 195 (May-June 2007) Charlie Bruce did a test on the engine above - the RB Special. I would really like to get a scan of that, if someone has it. Thanks, BOB
Bob, here it is.
Brian
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 06, 2012, 04:31 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Bob, here it is.
Brian
Brian, you are an absolute Champion ! I will now remember you in my last will and testament (....and to Brian, I leave all my accumulated debt...), so come home - all is forgiven ! Now I can find out if my judgements on the RB Special are confirmed ! Thanks Again, BOB
Old Jul 06, 2012, 11:12 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,871 Posts
Would someone happen to know this engine?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-1930-...item5d34381484

Bill
Old Jul 07, 2012, 02:56 AM
Closed Account
Joined Nov 2009
2,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Would someone happen to know this engine?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/VINTAGE-1930-...item5d34381484

Bill
Bill, I can find nothing like it, in the A.M.E.E. Looks pretty exotic !