HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2010, 03:23 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
718 Posts
Bill ,

Is that a ball bearing motor ? Allways liked the looks of the Foresters . That blue paint job is going to be tough to see !!! Plane looks nice .

Mike 1484
Mike1484 is online now Find More Posts by Mike1484
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:05 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,788 Posts
Hi Mike, I don't think this is a ball bearing engine but I could be wrong. I'm new to ignition and have alot to learn....I don't even have a single book on these engines to help me out.
As for the blue, by the time I finish trimming the model out with strips etc. it should be easily seen.

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Jan 01, 2011, 10:56 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,269 Posts
Look at the size of the engine where the crankshaft comes out. If it is only slightly larger than the crank, it is not bearing'd. If if is much larger, it has a bearing behind the thrust washer.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:12 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,788 Posts
Then I would say that it is ball bearing.

Bill
Old Jan 01, 2011, 11:37 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,788 Posts
Hey guy's lets keep those photos of your little treasures coming, lets stay ahead of that diesel thread plus.... I need to learn

Bill
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:13 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
718 Posts
Here is the last that I have . A Olson .60 and a .23 .

Mike 1484
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:23 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
690 Posts
The Forster 29's from about 1946 had one ball bearing on the crankshaft at the rear, and a bushing from there forward. The enlarged front end is for the timer. Anderson Spitfires are set up the same way. Some of the later Ohlsson 60's (front intake) had a roller bearing in a brass cage at the rear only also. I am pretty sure the OK Super 60 has ball bearings on both ends of the crankshaft.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:31 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
690 Posts
Hey Mike; Those old Ohlsson sideports are really fine starting and running engines. I run mine a lot, and they are very user friendly.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:37 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kraft View Post
Hey Mike; Those old Ohlsson sideports are really fine starting and running engines. I run mine a lot, and they are very user friendly.
That small intake O&R .60 is the same model that won me first place at the Nats with a free flight Lanzo Record Breaker back in 1975. Not the most powerful engine,but not bad either. And as you said they are an easy engine to run.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini update on Kennedy Longhorn
Old Jan 01, 2011, 12:44 PM
The windy west coast of Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
2,775 Posts
This Forster.29 is my one & only spark ignition engine....although not particularily high revving, it's a great runner on 10-11" props.

Also, a close-up of the points housing, plus a photo of my coils & other ignition stuff....these coils come from Dunham Engineering (1980's).

Gluehand is offline Find More Posts by Gluehand
Old Jan 01, 2011, 02:23 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
718 Posts
All good stuff Gluehand . Is that nice tank an original item? Does that motor have a rotor disc ? I would imagine that 11" of prop would be a bit much for a .29 but that is just an uneducted guess.

The old side port motors were not known for their power but they did run . I need a new ignition motor! Where's that last M.E.C.A.bulletin .

Mike1484
Old Jan 02, 2011, 01:47 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,213 Posts
O&R wiring diagram

Les see...dis war goez here...dat one goez dare.....

Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini update on Kennedy Longhorn
Old Jan 02, 2011, 03:28 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
718 Posts
Nice diagram Leadchucker , Thanks .

Mike 1484
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:01 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,269 Posts
Leadchucker

Boy, does that bring back Fond??? memories.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Jan 03, 2011, 10:09 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Found some more on your Rocket on another site. Check out the GM connection,crazy stuff.

"The 1945 Rocket Victor Model was a development of the 1940 May "Silver King" manufactured in Detroit by George May. World War II brought an end to the May "Rockets" and by 1945, the engine was made by Corporate Products, Inc,. still in Detroit. Production (and the company) apparently ceased by 1947 and the product was sold off by Little Mike Marx Toy Co. for as little as $4.50. The demise of Rocket Motors has been linked to General Motors! When GM was about to launch the Olds 88 "Rocket" their marketing people discovered the Rocket model engine - not wanting brand name competition, GM bought the Rocket Motor operation and crushed all the dies.

The engine offered here has several features which distinguish it from many of the Rocket Victors of 1945. The back cover has the tank mounting rim that was used for the streamline tank on the 1940 "Silver King" - my guess is that this casting was never changed and that most of the production engines had the rim machined off and at some point is was decided tht it was not necessary to remove it. Note that the line drawing above does not show this rim but it is very apparent in several of the photos below. Of more consequence, some of the Victors had a small set screw in the bottom of the case extension to retain the main bearing - this engine has that setscrew.

The Rocket Victor is a beautiful engine which exudes that styling of the 1940s. The engine case can be polished to a brilliant shine; I have not polished this engine - it is in the basic "as sold" bright condition. The engine is tight with excellent compression and I can't tell if it has been used. The tank bowl is original. One more Rocket model came out in 1946, the Rocket "4610" with an enclosed timer and a hex-shaped venturi and separate tank - the last of the line.

A marvelous metal sculpture that runs. Look at that nice timer arm casting - wonder how many of those survived flying? The Rocket Victor utilized many steel stamping for internal parts and these parts were heavily case hardened, making them quite strong. The wrist pin arrangement is rather unique as the brass piston baffle is held in place by the wrist pin carrier nut. The engine has a reputation of being very strong if not over-revved. Some reproduction parts are currently available.

The Rocket was heavily advertised in the immediate post-war era as one of the first engines to hit the market and had a price tag of $22.50, less coil and condenser. Photos in ads do not show the back cover rim. Ads stated: "The quick starting and thrilling performance of the new, improved Rocket Victor Motor are due to the patented Rotor Intake Valve in connection with special tested parts. Every Rocket Motor is bench tested at the factory and the most exacting care is taken in the manufacturing operations." The advertised displacement was .460 cu. in."
Hello
Just joined the board tonight. I just received a Rocket Victor .454 in the mail today that I got off of E-Bay. Mine has the plastic tank under the venturi and appears to be in excellent condition. Well pleased with the purchase and it will go into my collection.

Jeff
Stroker280 is offline Find More Posts by Stroker280