HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:54 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,367 Posts
Tip for engine mounts (Super Cyke)

If you want a more up to date radial mount or have other mounting "problems" such as I had with a Super Quaker that had no engines rails installed, check this out. A Dave Brown Products glass filled nylon mount for 60 four strokes (Part # 60FS-6004) fits perfect with rear tank and all. I had to hold the mess to get photo,but you get the idea. Similar sized engines with the same engine lugs should work, an O&R .60 don't fit as it's too wode.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2010, 09:15 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
The aluminum 2 piece anti vibration Dubro mounts work well to Warren.

Bill
williame3590 is online now Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Dec 25, 2010, 10:37 PM
Joined Mar 2009
213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
Another little treasure I picked up today from Ebay, very complete and almost no run time on it.
Need to do a little research to determine the actual size....unless one of you fellers know.

Bill
Bill,

I think you will really like the Rocket. It's not particularly powerful, but it is exceptionally easy to start and a steady runner. I've never seen a metal tank for a Rocket. Maybe it was custom made by the prior owner ? I ran one for a couple of years in a Texaco model and was very satisfied.

By the way, the piston in the Rocket is extremely hard material and probably impossible to wear out. The only maintenance will be that you need to keep the 3 cylinder hold-down screws tight. The screws work loose pretty regularly.

Dick
otrcman is offline Find More Posts by otrcman
Old Dec 26, 2010, 08:39 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
Thank you Dick, not sure I will be flying this anytime soon. I always appreciate any info on these old sparkers though. Just getting into them and want to learn all I can.
My first flyer on ignition will be a Modelcraft Hornet at 137% with a Forster 29 installed. Just recovering the model now and used up some old Coverite Silkspun on the airframe. Nasty stuff to work with but all came out very well.
I'll post some photos at the end of the week.

Bill
Old Dec 26, 2010, 06:53 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
Ah! The Forster 29. Another great old engine. I used the front intake out of one of the later engines, and put it in the back to shorten it up for flying control line with it. It works well that way, and also for my R/C old timers with a remote tank.
Jim Kraft is offline Find More Posts by Jim Kraft
Old Dec 27, 2010, 10:31 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,367 Posts
Attention Bill...more on your Rocket .46

Found some more on your Rocket on another site. Check out the GM connection,crazy stuff.

"The 1945 Rocket Victor Model was a development of the 1940 May "Silver King" manufactured in Detroit by George May. World War II brought an end to the May "Rockets" and by 1945, the engine was made by Corporate Products, Inc,. still in Detroit. Production (and the company) apparently ceased by 1947 and the product was sold off by Little Mike Marx Toy Co. for as little as $4.50. The demise of Rocket Motors has been linked to General Motors! When GM was about to launch the Olds 88 "Rocket" their marketing people discovered the Rocket model engine - not wanting brand name competition, GM bought the Rocket Motor operation and crushed all the dies.

The engine offered here has several features which distinguish it from many of the Rocket Victors of 1945. The back cover has the tank mounting rim that was used for the streamline tank on the 1940 "Silver King" - my guess is that this casting was never changed and that most of the production engines had the rim machined off and at some point is was decided tht it was not necessary to remove it. Note that the line drawing above does not show this rim but it is very apparent in several of the photos below. Of more consequence, some of the Victors had a small set screw in the bottom of the case extension to retain the main bearing - this engine has that setscrew.

The Rocket Victor is a beautiful engine which exudes that styling of the 1940s. The engine case can be polished to a brilliant shine; I have not polished this engine - it is in the basic "as sold" bright condition. The engine is tight with excellent compression and I can't tell if it has been used. The tank bowl is original. One more Rocket model came out in 1946, the Rocket "4610" with an enclosed timer and a hex-shaped venturi and separate tank - the last of the line.

A marvelous metal sculpture that runs. Look at that nice timer arm casting - wonder how many of those survived flying? The Rocket Victor utilized many steel stamping for internal parts and these parts were heavily case hardened, making them quite strong. The wrist pin arrangement is rather unique as the brass piston baffle is held in place by the wrist pin carrier nut. The engine has a reputation of being very strong if not over-revved. Some reproduction parts are currently available.

The Rocket was heavily advertised in the immediate post-war era as one of the first engines to hit the market and had a price tag of $22.50, less coil and condenser. Photos in ads do not show the back cover rim. Ads stated: "The quick starting and thrilling performance of the new, improved Rocket Victor Motor are due to the patented Rotor Intake Valve in connection with special tested parts. Every Rocket Motor is bench tested at the factory and the most exacting care is taken in the manufacturing operations." The advertised displacement was .460 cu. in."
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:03 AM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
Hey Warren; Great info on the Rocket. I have one like I have never seen before. It looks about the same as the one posted in the pictures here, however, it does not have a tank or provisions for one. It just has an oval shaped ventura which is stepped down to round where it screws into the back plate. It has the same looking needle valve, but just a piece of tubing comming off of the bottom of the fuel jet. The needle and jet being at almost the rear of the ventura. As said above, these engines have very good fits, strong compression, and they do start easy. I have never flown mine, but have run it quite a bit on the test stand. I also have a spare cyl./piston/rod assy. for it.
Nice to learn more about these old engines. Thanks for posting the info.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 08:41 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
Holy Cow Warren, great info. Where do you find this stuff?? I love my new engine even more now
Thanks very much for all of that great bit of history, I will never buy another GM as long as I live.

Bill
Old Dec 30, 2010, 08:37 AM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
722 Posts
Picture time , how about a O.K. Super .60 ??

Mike1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Dec 30, 2010, 09:55 AM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
Very nice Mike

Bill
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:39 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,341 Posts
"how about a O.K. Super .60 ??"

I had one of those once. Seems like back in the very late '40s, but memory grows dim with time. As I recall, it practically took my finger off once.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:04 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1484 View Post
Picture time , how about a O.K. Super .60 ??

Mike1484
A very overlooked engine. They aren't a bad runner if they are in good shape and can be had pretty cheap compared to the prices some Cykes go for. Nice one Mike.

Warren
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:14 PM
Elyria, Ohio
Joined Sep 2004
722 Posts
Thanks guys. Here is my old Brown. Little thread worn but a good runner.

Mike 1484
Mike1484 is offline Find More Posts by Mike1484
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:25 PM
The middle of Kansas
Joined Jan 2005
706 Posts
We have had some of the OK Super 60's flying in control line, and they do very well. They seem to take a little more pitch in the prop, but work nice on a 12-8. I have one, but it is a paper weight. Piston cyl. pretty well trashed. One of the things that is so cool about the old sparkers is that, all of the designers had their own ideas of how the engines should look and run. They are not the cookie cutter look alike engines that we have now. They are all very unique.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 02:02 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
Forster 29

Here is my little Forster 29 mounted in a Modelcraft Hornet. Just recovered this old model and will post some photos once finished.
This will be my first ignition flyer Test flight this spring

Bill ps I know the model is Sky Blue......yikes
Last edited by williame3590; Dec 31, 2010 at 02:42 PM.