HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:16 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
.....As for radio gear... I think I have that covered. Are there any issues with 2.4 mHz gear and spark ignition engines?
Another can't beat it with a big stick item. 2.4 ghz is the way to go and solved most of any previuos problems with interefence.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:24 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Another can't beat it with a big stick item. 2.4 ghz is the way to go and solved most of any previuos problems with interefence.
Well, I fly with an Airtronics SD-10G so I I should be all set.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Apr 25, 2011, 04:37 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
This one Whizzer, just ask Cash how well it fly's........oh and it's Canadian too

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Apr 25, 2011, 06:02 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
OK Bill, details please. That's a very nice looking plane.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:04 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
This engine thing has really bitten hard. I have planes that need finishing and I'm spending all my time on the internet looking at engines and reading and buying. I haven't been so excited about a facet of this hobby in years. What's more is that it had kind of blindsided me. Never in a million years would I have expected to be so enthusiastic about engines... old ones too... especially since I gave them up to fly all electric power several years ago. I thought I'd found nirvana but here I am cutting my teeth with all you wise old engine gurus.

So enough with the newbie cometary and on to the engines.......

Here are some photos of an engine I just received today. It's an OK .29. I don't know much about it just yet. It just looked nice and it was fairly affordable. I have to say when I opened it, I felt like a kid at Christmas that just got a wonderful surprise. I like it so much more in person than in the Ebay photos. Hopefully these photos do it a little more justice.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Apr 26, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:08 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
... and my other .29, a Rogers RMC 2. I know, the box says 35 on it. The guy that sold it to me said he was fairly certain it's a .29 but when he bought it, it came in a 35 box. I dunno.... I like it just the same.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Apr 26, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:14 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
The Rogers is one of those engines that was sold to me as NIB. Now I think it's in pretty darn good condition but does it look NIB to you guys? I'm fairly certain it's been run and the coil is definitely a well worn item. The CAP on the other hand looks practically untouched by human hands.

I think one of these two engines, maybe even both are going to get the opportunity to fly again because along with this engine collecting thing, I'm finding myself now interested in building an Old Timer. Since neither of these engines are brand new I think it would be a shame not to let them do what they were intended to do.... fly.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 09:27 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Question:

If I wanna run my ignitions should I be looking to buy one of those used model engine coils on Ebay? Does anybody make nice, new replicas that work well?
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:09 PM
Telford,PA.USA
Joined Apr 2007
77 Posts
I doubt the Rogers has been mounted on anything for any length of time and run, there are no marks where screws and washers would have pressed on the mount lugs. If you want to run your engines buy a new coil, either a Model Electric or one of Larry Davidsons. You can find stuff on antiquemodeler.org which is the Society of Antique Modelers web site.
dartgw is offline Find More Posts by dartgw
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:51 AM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
I see what you're saying. I guess that's all part of the learning process. Thanks for the tip on where to buy ignition systems. I'll order a couple.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:14 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Gee Wiz! .....

Quote:
Question:

If I wanna run my ignitions should I be looking to buy one of those used model engine coils on Ebay? Does anybody make nice, new replicas that work well?
..... You to? Check my blog, Wiz (click on my name, top left of this post), & theres some pics of my Ollhson Rice .23 .....

..... & I thought I was over that buying frenzy, but today, on ebay, I picked up another O & R .23, I bid real low, & well, I got it for less than I bid!

What I suggest you do, is get your hands on a copy (or 2) of SAM SPEAKS, the S.A M. magazine, as there are adds for everything you could need or want for your ignition engines in thier pages. (google Sociaty of Antique Models)

Me, I got lucky, someone who posts here sent me all that I needed to run my O & R , for free.

The thing is, if you plan to actually fly your engines, & want to go R/C assist, than you are better off with a transistorized system, but to just bench run, or free flight, the coil, condencer, & high tention lead, batts & a switch are all you need.

Also, pump gas has alcohal, & this will melt your celulose gas tank, if so equiped. Colman stove & lamp gas (I get mine at Wal Mart) is pure gasoline. And dont forget to mix it with 70Wt Oil, they say Harly-Davidson is good, but good luck finding any!

I hope this helps.

I got a Playboy vintage model airplane short kit & plans from... www.bhplans.com ... (Bob Holman), have my airframe built, but am waiting to get the transistorized ignition for it, as I dont want to loose my engine. Well, now that Im going to have 2 of them, habe Ill risk it

Anyway, Wiz, welcome to the madness, Ive been trying to start a chapter of Ebay Anonimous for a while now, but to no avail !

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:02 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Thanks Laramie.... I'll check out your blog and some of that other information.

I keep telling myself this engine is the last for awhile but I've now bought 15 in about a one month span. I have one more on the way and then I'm going to try to hold tight for awhile and get a little more selective about what I buy. I'm hoping this is a fever that subsides after the newness of it all wears off..... at least that's what I'm hoping.

Cheers,

Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:24 PM
San Bernardino California U.S.A.
Joined Dec 2009
1,328 Posts
Wow, that many? .....

Quote:
Thanks Laramie.... I'll check out your blog and some of that other information.

I keep telling myself this engine is the last for awhile but I've now bought 15 in about a one month span. I have one more on the way and then I'm going to try to hold tight for awhile and get a little more selective about what I buy. I'm hoping this is a fever that subsides after the newness of it all wears off..... at least that's what I'm hoping.

Cheers,

Wiz
You must have the LONG GREEN!

Laramie.
Laramie is offline Find More Posts by Laramie
Old Apr 29, 2011, 02:28 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
They aren't all high dollar engines. Some were bought quite cheaply. You can take a look at them on my blog by clicking my screen name. I just finished posting them last night.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2011, 05:16 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Were there any vintage ignition engines that were as powerful as an O.S. .90 4-cycle? I'm asking because if there were, that will be the next engine I go after. Of course, I'll be wanting to fly that one.
RCG Plus Member