SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 15, 2003, 11:19 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
Phoenix 60 governor mode with an Aveox 36/30/2?

I just replaced my fourth controller in a Logo 10 with a Phoenix 60. I burned up two Phoenix 45s first (in a series of LiPo tests, trying to get the right "mix" of motor kV rating vs cell configuration - I ended up with a 1400 kV motor and 5s3p TP "2050"s...) so I then went to a Hacker 70-3p but it doesn't have a governor mode or a "smooth start". Lack of the latter caused it to chew up my main gear so I then replaced it with an Aveox SH-48. This has a very smooth startup but it has a very unorthodox way of doing the governor mode. I had to plug it into CH 8 on the receiver and then use a knob to "dial up" the headspeed. The problem with this is that you can;t use the standard throttle cut/hold functions on the radio.

The main reason I pulled the Aveox controller is that I had overtemp problems that caused it to shut the motor down. I have holes cut in the canopy but no fan. I had a couple of instances where the Hacker did the same thing. With the new Phoenix 60 installed, I've added a small Radio Shack micro fan, along with a 12V regulator chip...), just for the controller.

Anyway, I tried it out yesterday and as soon as I gave it any throttle, the blades tried to spin up to full speed immediately and the T/R couldn't keep up so the whole thing just spun around. I used the "High RPM" governor mode. Should I use the "Low RPM" option instead?

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2003, 11:41 AM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
Gary,

The low RPM option will help smooth start-ups somewhat, but it will still be rather brisk.

We're adding several "lower steps" to the spin-up routine to soften it even further with the next (free) software revision around early August. Watch here, or our website (www.castlecreations.com) for the release.

Shawn
Shawn Palmer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Palmer
Old Jul 15, 2003, 01:20 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
Okay, I'll give it a try but the way it is now is much more than just a hard start. It creates so much torque that the whole heli spins around and I have to immediately shut it down. Not usable at all. I sure hope the low rpm option at least allows me to get the thing in the air!

Thanks -- Gary
Old Jul 16, 2003, 03:50 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
The "Low RPM" mode is much better. At least I can stop the whole heli from spinning and can get it up to speed. The governor mode seems to work fine with the Aveox motor. I was getting headspeeds of about 1650 at 80% and 1770 at 85%.

I'm looking forward to the update in August, as it could be a tad smoother at the very beginning. Still too much torque, but at least it is managable.

-- Gary
Old Jul 17, 2003, 02:37 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
I flew again late this afternoon and it works fine. I started from grass and there was no jumping at all. It was very smooth.

It worked perfectly in the governor mode as well. After 20 minutes I had no shutdown problems either. The small fan did the trick. The controller never got over 110 degrees while the motor did go up to 145 and the LiPo packs got to 135.

-- Gary
Old Jul 26, 2003, 10:55 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
A quick update: From a grass area, the Logo 10 won't "jump" at startup but it will cause a 180 degree "twist" on startup from a hard surface. This is chewing up main gears so I'm hoping the August update will fix this. Until then, I'm back to spinning it by hand, like the Hacker/Jeti controllers I've been using.

I had a thermal shutdown the other day but I think it was because I had the "meaty" part of the clip-on motor heatsink right next to the controller (backside...). Changed it so that it is above the ESC now and all's well. It flew for 18 event-free minutes yesterday.

-- Gary
Old Jul 28, 2003, 03:37 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
My thermal shutdown problems continue, unfortunately. It first happened today in an inverted climbout from an inverted hover. After a quick recovery and auto rotation, it got to the ground in one piece and I immediately checked the temps. The controller, which has a dedicated fan, was at 113 degrees. I wouldn't think this was too hot.

It took a few trys to get it to arm again and then the same shutdown happened about a minute into flight, in a hard turn.

Any ideas about what is happening?

-- Gary
Old Jul 28, 2003, 01:55 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
Gary,
What was your motor temp?
Have you got the overcurrent protection turned off?

Shawn
Old Jul 28, 2003, 07:08 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
Hi Shawn --

Motor temp was 137 degrees. Pretty cool really.

I have the current protection set to "Standard" right now. I was going through the programming and found this setting as well. Should I try turning off current protection or go to the "looser" setting? For a Phoenix 60, what is the current that the cutoff is set for in the "Standard" mode? At full loads my Logo 10 pulls close to 50 amps. Maybe its going over this briefly in hard manuevers but I never saw this happen on the Whattmeter. The highest I saw was 47.5 amps.

I can understand why I had problems with the 45 but shouldn't the 60 be able to handle 50-55 amps for brief periods?

Would taking it out of governor mode help?

Thanks for your support.

-- Gary
Old Jul 30, 2003, 12:05 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
Gary,

We're looking at these types of issues with "new eyes" now - I have a developing theory to be tested very soon independently, and by Patrick here in the shop in the near future.

Please do try the next step up in overcurrent protection - with the motor at operating temp and during hard manuvers you may well be getting into the 60A range momentarily at least.

Most folks I know prefer the OCP to be completely disabled - "better to burn the controller than loose the machine".

Shawn
Old Jul 30, 2003, 07:21 PM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
8,165 Posts
Problem solved!

Shawn --

Moveing the OCP setting to the next setting (Option 4?) seemed to do the trick. Flew for close to 20 minutes yesterday, most of it pretty hard, and had nary a problem!

Now all I need is the soft start. If I start on hard ground it will spin my Logo 10 at least 360 degrees at the first hint of power. August is in two days. How's the software coming?

-- Gary