SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2010, 03:13 PM
Portugal, Braga, Vila Nova de Famalic„o
Joined Oct 2009
139 Posts
Discussion
Calculate ESC amps

Hi,

Is there any formula to calculate how many amps a esc must have according to motor, battery voltage and draw current?
If this has already been discussed in other thread i am sorry but i couldnt find it..

Thanks
JOse - Portugal
oacilamaf is offline Find More Posts by oacilamaf
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 04:03 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,588 Posts
The formula if I understand you correctly is simple.

Get a esc thats rated HIGHER then the motor. Get a battery that can handle the amp demand and then some.

EXEMPLE: Without knowing the amp draw frmo the motor and prop combination you can get a esc rated for higher then the max amps of the motor. If you motor is rated for 50A MAX then get a esc rated for higher. Simple really.

It wont hurt if you get a too big of esc, all it will do is take more place in the plane and weight a little more. If thats not a big concern then no worries.

I got 55A max motor but use a 100A constant ESC that will peak at 150 or higher I think, I bit overkill but hey I mite want to use it in something bigger later and wont have to buy another esc just because I bought one that barely could provide my current setup..

Now if I over prop and draw too many amps then I will smoke the motor.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:52 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,766 Posts
If you already know the "draw current" that's pretty much all you need to know. The ESC rating should be at least that much and preferably a bit higher.

You also need to check that the ESC will take the voltage that you are using. Many ESCs are only rated up to 3,4 or 6 cells and using a higher voltage will damage them.

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:12 AM
Portugal, Braga, Vila Nova de Famalic„o
Joined Oct 2009
139 Posts
Thats simple... Thanks
oacilamaf is offline Find More Posts by oacilamaf
Old Apr 08, 2014, 03:08 PM
Joined Apr 2014
2 Posts
So what if you don't know the amp of your motor? I just have a little brushed motor with no info on it and I have the battery but I need an ESC, how could I decide which one to buy?
Prune Tang is offline Find More Posts by Prune Tang
Old Apr 08, 2014, 03:56 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prune Tang View Post
So what if you don't know the amp of your motor? I just have a little brushed motor with no info on it and I have the battery but I need an ESC, how could I decide which one to buy?
The 'amps' will depend on what the load is, (usually the size of prop etc), and the battery voltage, (more volts, more amps).

Do you have a picture of your motor, and an explanation on what you want to use it for ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 08, 2014, 04:36 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,766 Posts
The actual size of your "little brushed motor" might be useful, also some information about exactly what battery you have. E.g. the average 6mm diameter motor uses much less than 1A, the average 28mm diameter motor probably less than 15A etc.

But basically if you don't know anything about what you have then there's no practical way to decide what you might need to go with it.

Steve
Old Apr 08, 2014, 11:53 PM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
1,008 Posts
Fortunately, a brushed motor will run without a speed control. Just plug it into the battery and measure the current while running the prop you want to run. Of course you have to have a reasonable estimate of what size prop or you could burn up the motor. I would think that the three watts per gram rule would apply to brushed motors too.
Mike Dubovsky is offline Find More Posts by Mike Dubovsky
Old Apr 09, 2014, 03:53 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dubovsky View Post
I would think that the three watts per gram rule would apply to brushed motors too.
Definitely NOT! That would make a Speed 400 (73g) good for around 220W whereas in the real world 80-100W is about all it can manage.

Steve
Old Apr 09, 2014, 11:56 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oacilamaf View Post
... Is there any formula to calculate how many amps a esc must have according to motor, battery voltage and draw current? ...

Meet the natives
forum.rcmpt.com (Portugal)
www.miliamperios.com (Spain)

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Apr 09, 2014, 06:49 PM
Joined Nov 2007
913 Posts
The motor formulas will help here:

Torque = Kt * I
Kv = RPM / V
Kv* Kt = 1 in the MKS system, however most people use the feet, ton, seat-of-the-pants system so the numbers will be different.

Notice that all motors with the same Kv rating will draw the same amps when they are driving the same propeller or any other load. The motors with lower power ratings will run hotter and maybe smoke.

So all you need to know is the Kv rating and the load to calculate the current draw.
mjsas is offline Find More Posts by mjsas
Old Apr 09, 2014, 08:08 PM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Definitely NOT! That would make a Speed 400 (73g) good for around 220W whereas in the real world 80-100W is about all it can manage.

Steve
Yup, I really got that one wrong. My old Astro Cobalt 05 was only good for 200 watts or so, and it weighed 5.5 oz, or about 150 grams which would be 450 watts, so maybe we could say 1 - 1.5 W/g?

Kinda makes you appreciate our modern systems.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 03:48 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,766 Posts
Yes we've got it easy these days with lightweight powerful brushless motors and no more of those seriously heavy NiCds to carry around. But we had fun just trying to get anything to fly didn't we ?

Steve
Old Apr 10, 2014, 07:57 PM
Condescending Pedant
Joined Aug 2013
1,008 Posts
Yes, it was a lot of fun. I made a twin motor plane out of a Balsa USA Swizzle Stick 05. Two "18 Volt" motors from Radio Shack and a 15 Cell 450 mAh NiCD made from salvaged walkie talkie radio batteries. Over 2 pounds weight and about 200 square inches of flat bottom wing. Turn on the switch and fly it till the batteries ran down and it would land.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:17 PM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsas View Post
Notice that all motors with the same Kv rating will draw the same amps when they are driving the same propeller or any other load. The motors with lower power ratings will run hotter and maybe smoke.
This is not a completely accurate statement.

A smaller motor with the same Kv as a larger motor will likely have a much higher armature resistance even though both motors have the same Kv.

The smaller motor will definitely not draw the same current as the larger motor with the same battery and prop because of the larger voltage drop in the armature resistance and its RPM with the same prop load will be much lower.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsas View Post
So all you need to know is the Kv rating and the load to calculate the current draw.
Both the armature resistance and No-Load current are also a key factors in accurately determining the current draw. With high efficiency motors, the No-Load motor current Io may not be a significant factor, but can also influence the current draw dependent on the motor's operating point.

I should also point out that Kv is not a rating. It is a constant, a motor parameter that doesn't change regardless of the motor's operating point.
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Apr 11, 2014 at 11:34 PM.