HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:17 AM
Fargo, nd
Joined Nov 2010
4 Posts
Build Log
Giant P51 Mustang, Weed Eater 20cc Gas. Custom Retracts and Landing Gear w/video!

P51 Weed Eater 20 ultralite weed wacker converted into RC with custom lathed prop shaft. Retract and Landing gear Videos:

Giant P51 Retractable Flaps and Landing Gear upgrade from ARF.MOV (0 min 30 sec)

Giant Scale P51 Mustang Weed Wacker 6ch Programmable Radio Setup (1 min 54 sec)

I took a weed eater 20 from a pawn shop for $30 and rebuilt it for my Giant Semi scale warbird. I originally had a YS 120 4stroke Nitro engine but had to sell it so I upgraded with a cheap gas weed wacker. I used a grinder to cut off excess aluminum from the engine, hooked up a cut off switch, used the weed wacker gas tank in the plane, Cheap Digital servos off of ebay $10 each (1 for flaps, 1 for landing gear, 1 for elevator and 1 for rudder) Futaba high torque digital servos in the ailerons, 1 for each, they have Kryptonite gears and plenty of torque at 83.32 oz-in. at 6v. Hs 81 for the throttle. 6v 600mah receiver battery pack custom made, plug in charger on the fuselage and voltwatch 2 soldered in between battery and receiver.

I have allot more pictures of how to convert the weed eater motor and also how to make these custom flaps/landing gear and covering the hinges and wing, they're stuck on my laptop once I find a way to get them I will post.

Fully programmable CT6 Computer transmitter specially programmed (right knob landing gear up/down, right switch "3D Mode" on/off [high or low control throws for aileron, elevator and rudder for better control], left knob is flaps up/down and the left switch will retract the flaps quickly anytime if switched, and disable the left knob. The left knob controls flaps incremently and go to full flap ON at half turn (so I dont have to crank the thing all the way around). The right switch gives me full control of the throws of my 3 control surfaces only, its at 80% throw off and 95% when on for more flying authority. In the software with the radio you can select exactly how much throw you want with the switch when on AND off.

With this setup I can either control the flaps manually with the left knob or just quickly retract them for "flight mode" with a flip of the left switch.

The right Knob lets me retract the landing gear slowly up and down giving a more realistic flight. My ct6 radio gives me perfect control of the up/down endpoints and ratio. $32 Computer Radio

If you're looking for clevis's like the ones I use on the retractable flaps they have different kinds here: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=D3605259

The radio works for all planes and heli's. I use this computer radio in my Blade CP helicopter also.
papadidypop is offline Find More Posts by papadidypop
Last edited by papadidypop; Jan 31, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts