Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Willmsy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 01:05 AM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,720 Posts
Build Log
3DHS 55" Edge 540 Recovered

Hey all, a little while back I was going to get a one of those new 41" Edge 540's that Ben from 3DHS had just released... I of course waited 1 day too long and they were sold out. I thought perhaps one may have fallen off of the shelf and I could pick it up for a deal... No such luck, but Ben did have a few other planes that had slight crinkly damage and I thought, if the deal was good I might take him up on in... Well the deal was good for a 55" Edge and I decided to pull the trigger on it.

I intended on taking all the covering off in the first place to add some lights and make a day/night flyer... After tearing into the covering and looking up what I was gonna have to buy to power this baby, I decided on skipping the lights.

Let me tell you, transparent covering is a bear to get off nicely, it rips really easily and you have to dig at it. I did finally get all the blue, green, and white off of the plane. However I didn't have a scheme yet for the recovering. It was ok I had time, plus I had some minor crinkle damage to repair.

I found a 3 view and cleaned up all the color on in so I could sketch in some alternate schemes... I came up with a few that I liked and started shopping around with different vinyl companies... When I stumbled across a "Kool-Aid" plane that was done for DJMoose... It was stunning. So I did a little reading and found I Love Nachos aka Nick, from http://nachoscheese.net/ he was also doing a scheme for another friend of mine "Diggs" and I knew I probably had a winner. After a few weeks of back and forth emails we finally knocked out a killer scheme (reveal when completed).

I will post pictures of my progress as I go.

BBQ Ninja
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 05:52 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Joined Jan 2003
3,720 Posts
Progress

Ok so I have been working on this for a week or so, just trying to get a piece here and a piece there covered... All I have left is the Fuse...
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:52 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Joined Jan 2003
3,720 Posts
All of the white covering has been completed and my Scorpion Motor showed up today!!
Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:37 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Joined Jan 2003
3,720 Posts
Painting and covering on covering test.
Last edited by Willmsy; Nov 18, 2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 04:14 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Joined Jan 2003
3,720 Posts
Making progress... Some area's I am waiting on until the vinyl gets here which I was informed should be Monday! I am still waiting on the servo's and the ESC... The battery did arrived today!
Old Nov 21, 2010, 12:57 PM
Read My Blog!
Northern California
Joined Jan 2009
1,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willmsy View Post
Making progress... Some area's I am waiting on until the vinyl gets here which I was informed should be Monday! I am still waiting on the servo's and the ESC... The battery did arrived today!
That looks really good! I would take some scraps and carry the pattern all the way through the aileron hinge. Plus sealed hinges make an airplane much more solid and is better for the servos too. Just a thought,

HT
HawkerTyphoon is offline Find More Posts by HawkerTyphoon
Old Nov 21, 2010, 08:38 PM
USA, TN, Nashville
Joined Oct 2009
903 Posts
That is gonna be cool! I'd like to try something like this but I've never done any covering. I want to get a kit for this winter to build.
rdbell is online now Find More Posts by rdbell
Old Nov 22, 2010, 09:53 PM
Some Sharp Looking Cheddar
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,680 Posts
i love nachos is offline Find More Posts by i love nachos
Old Nov 23, 2010, 01:23 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Joined Jan 2003
3,720 Posts
Ok, I applied the vinyl last night it is looks SEXY! I did make some artistic changes to some of the colored slice marks (red and blue) that I had planned. Once I get some of the rest of the aircraft together I will post more pictures...

Damn Sexy!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 08:09 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,095 Posts
lookin good
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:02 AM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Joined Jan 2003
3,720 Posts
Little update. No pictures.

I have ordered all the electronics for this build as well as a New Tx.. I sold my DX7 and picked up an Aurora 9. This means everything is on hold until I get the parts and new equipment in. I should have it all by the end of the week, hopefully! I can do a big push assembly job this coming up weekend then and hopefully have a finished custom scheme aircraft for you all to look at!

Matt
Old Nov 29, 2010, 09:08 AM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,680 Posts
Good move on the Aurora 9. You will love it.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 12:41 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Joined Jan 2003
3,720 Posts
OK, guys I picked up the last of the electronics last night. I think I have almost everything I need to put this bird together and post some more pictures... I will be working on the Edge when I get home so you might see some pictures late tonight.
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:35 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
Joined Jan 2003
3,720 Posts
Guys, I am 95% done, but that last 5% you can't really see, SOOOOOOOOO on with the pictures!
Old Dec 08, 2010, 07:38 PM
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2008
1,680 Posts
MMMMMMMMM....................BBQ.

Looks great man! You did an amazing job!