SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Mactadpole, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:13 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
55 Posts
I'm a little confused. Maybe the MTOW should be the maximuim weight that the motor combination can fly safely. That number should always stay the same for a given configuration. Then I think people can put their TOW (actual takeoff weight) with a normal payload which should always be less than the maximum takeoff weight.
Flywithmike is offline Find More Posts by Flywithmike
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:23 AM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2005
78 Posts
That's what I think would be best. That way we can choose our frame/gear around the motors or the other way around.

Or at least have a good idea of what the electronics are capable of.
xe2bls is offline Find More Posts by xe2bls
Old Nov 16, 2010, 12:33 AM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
I am pretty sure not many folks are going to take the time nor have the ability to figure out their multi-rotor copters true weight capacity. You would need an onboard meter and then gradually add weight until you reached your maximum amp draw. Then we have to decide whether this number is at hover or when gunning during ascent? I know I don't have this capability and simply use the motor and esc temperature check method for what I am flying with. If I can hold my hand on my motors and esc's for 5+ seconds after a loaded flight then I consider it to be in good shape.

So maybe I just change the column name to TOW?
Mactadpole is offline Find More Posts by Mactadpole
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:49 AM
um.. yeah, I can make that fly
United Kingdom, Milton Keynes
Joined Jun 2007
3,767 Posts
Well instead of TOW the one I see ALOT of people use in the forum is AUW (all up weight)

CJ
Carlos230023 is offline Find More Posts by Carlos230023
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:43 AM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
A good relative gauge of how much weight lifting capacity you have left is your throttle position at hover. I aim for a maximum of 50% hover throttle which gives you approximately 2:1 power to weight ratio. You can probably push it to 60% for maximum payload, but I wouldn't go beyond that.

Of course this method doesn't help if you are over drawing your batteries or ESCs, but assuming you have plenty of capacity it can help you find your ideal setup. More than a couple times I was able to add more battery capacity using this method which gave me an additional 5 minutes of flight without removing other weight.
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 16, 2010, 09:56 AM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos230023 View Post
Well instead of TOW the one I see ALOT of people use in the forum is AUW (all up weight)

CJ
Too funny! I have been through the AUW definition debate before as well.

Take a look at the spreadsheet and let me know if the weight fields and their related fields suffice? I think we could go back and forth for a while about this if we wanted but lets see if what we got will work.

Please consider contributing.

Thanks to all!

Shawn

Hoverfly/Quadpowered harware spreadsheet
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:03 AM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S11D336B View Post
A good relative gauge of how much weight lifting capacity you have left is your throttle position at hover. I aim for a maximum of 50% hover throttle which gives you approximately 2:1 power to weight ratio. You can probably push it to 60% for maximum payload, but I wouldn't go beyond that.

Of course this method doesn't help if you are over drawing your batteries or ESCs, but assuming you have plenty of capacity it can help you find your ideal setup. More than a couple times I was able to add more battery capacity using this method which gave me an additional 5 minutes of flight without removing other weight.
Great way to estimate as well! I definitely do this too but just don't really think about it much since I really only do it when I have added some sort of weight. On my Futaba TX I know that if I am able to hover fully loaded at about 1/2 to 1 line below mid throttle I am in good shape.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:31 AM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Howdy All,

I wanted to bring attention again to the spreadsheet I started a while back containing information/specifications about peoples copters and hardware they are using. I have a lot of people contacting me lately about what they should get. It depends. You need to think about what your goals are with that copter and what level of experience you have. This spreadsheet will help you make some of those decisions and it would be nice if after you get your copter flying to contribute your info to the spreadsheet.

Go back to post #1 of this thread for more info. You should also scour the multirotor forum and definitely check out the Mega Link Index.

Go to these resources first and then if you want to ask me a question go for it! I'm happy to help as best I can. (I'm not mad at anyone for contacting me, but time is precious with a 4 month old and 8 months to finish my dissertation!)

Thanks,

Shawn
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:29 AM
USA, FL, Winter Springs
Joined Apr 2006
3,066 Posts
Thread Stuck
S11D336B is offline Find More Posts by S11D336B
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:51 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S11D336B View Post
Thread Stuck
Thank you!
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:02 PM
Joined Nov 2010
84 Posts
spreadsheet updated
TEPAKS is offline Find More Posts by TEPAKS
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:05 PM
The Tinkerer
MS, United States
Joined May 2008
43 Posts
Info added for my UFO
Hondajd7 is offline Find More Posts by Hondajd7
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:16 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
672 Posts
Thanks to all who have contributed so far!

I have decided to open the spreadsheet up to anyone who wants to contribute. You no longer need to contact me so I can add you to the user list. I hope this will encourage more folks to participate too.

Best to all, Shawn
Old Mar 17, 2011, 01:45 AM
Joined Jan 2010
194 Posts
updated : )
pipercubdude is offline Find More Posts by pipercubdude
Old Apr 12, 2011, 04:36 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Shawn, this spreadsheet is a big help. Thanks