HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Mactadpole, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:25 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Data
Hoverflypro pilot's hardware/equipment spreadsheet

UPDATE: Check out this spreadsheet to see some of the equipment/hardware that is known to work well with the HoverflyPro board.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...nc&hl=en#gid=0

A while back in the days of Quadpowered I started a google docs spreadsheet for anyone who was interested in viewing others or contributing their specs of multi-rotor crafts using QP board. Start by taking a look at it and consider contributing your specs or planned specs with your new Hoverflypro board. Click here to view spreadsheet. This provides an initial list of what is known to work with QP board and will therefore work with Hoverflypro board.

I don't mind managing this spreadsheet. I have now opened the spreadsheet up so anyone with the link can add and edit their copters. You no longer need to contact me to get added to the user list. If you want to contribute you have two choices (and yes you should contribute!): send me your gmail address and I can add you to the user list and that way you can start adding/editing your own info. Or, set up a google account with your current email address so you can add/edit the spreadsheet. Here is an instructional video on how to setup an account. Then send me your regular email address you used to setup the google account and I will add you to the user list. YOU MUST have a gmail email or google account to add/edit data. If you don't want to give me your regular email address you can create a gmail address that is just for this, its also not a bad idea to use one for your non-official web stuff to avoid unwanted spam.

I had hoped this would get more attention when I posted it for QP, hopefully with Hoverfly it will find a new life. It really has the potential to be a great source of known working equipment!

Thanks, Shawn
Mactadpole is offline Find More Posts by Mactadpole
Last edited by Mactadpole; Mar 14, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:25 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Ok, I also started another sheet called Known compatible equipment. This sheet has a list of known working equipment with at least one link to the item. You can find at the link above, just click the tab at the bottom for it. I haven't finished this, just put it up there for you all to look at and let me know if this would be helpful too. I can make it editable for you as well when you add your machine to the Pilot's sheet if you have new equipment to add to it. If I get a good response I will work on getting it better filled in too. -Shawn
Last edited by Mactadpole; Nov 15, 2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:01 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
reserved
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:39 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2005
78 Posts
I can work on getting this on a website with an easy domain name to remember so it is easy to get to.

From there we can have different sections for links, tips, etc...

Maybe it's something to think about
xe2bls is offline Find More Posts by xe2bls
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:49 PM
K0RSQ
Saint Louis, Missouri, US
Joined Sep 2010
139 Posts
I just read through it and it IS very helpful. Any chance you could add "flight weight" (basically the total weight of everything leaving the ground)? That would be extremely helpful for knowing what motor/prop combos can lift. I think it would be even more helpful than base weight, since it is what is actually being lifted (total thrust).
cmccracken is offline Find More Posts by cmccracken
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:02 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xe2bls View Post
I can work on getting this on a website with an easy domain name to remember so it is easy to get to.

From there we can have different sections for links, tips, etc...

Maybe it's something to think about
Thanks for the offer but I really like the ease-of-use Google docs provides. I use it for all kinds of projects, etc. If I am going to manage it I would prefer to keep it familiar to me and with the rest of the stuff I take care of via Google docs.

If you can develop a site that auto-pulls the data from the spreadsheet and you want to manage that I am fine with it.

Please don't take this as me being rude. I just can't handle another big project to deal with at the moment. Thanks, Shawn
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:09 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmccracken View Post
I just read through it and it IS very helpful. Any chance you could add "flight weight" (basically the total weight of everything leaving the ground)? That would be extremely helpful for knowing what motor/prop combos can lift. I think it would be even more helpful than base weight, since it is what is actually being lifted (total thrust).
I am hesitant to put a "flight weight". As you can see I use a variety of battery sizes and therefore many different "flight weights". It can all be added up from the data provided.

Maybe a "Maximum Take Off Weight (MTOW)"? With this I would just put my heaviest weight at flight. I think this would also require a column for flight accessories, ie. camera, video transmitter, etc. So, another column called "MTOW - included equipment" or something like that.

Thoughts? -Shawn
Last edited by Mactadpole; Nov 15, 2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Flywithmike provide the correct terminology - MTOW, thank Mike!
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:15 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
55 Posts
This is called MTOW or Maximium Take Off Weight in the full scale aviation world. You also have BEW which is Basic Empty Weight which could be the weight of the multirotor before adding a payload.
Flywithmike is offline Find More Posts by Flywithmike
Last edited by Flywithmike; Nov 15, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:38 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2005
78 Posts
No problem at all Shawn.

Is the MTOW supposed to be what the aircraft can potentially lift or just whatever the heaviest weight you have tried? Both are different and I'm not sure if most people would try this, but it would be great to know the real MTOW.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:47 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xe2bls View Post
No problem at all Shawn.

Is the MTOW supposed to be what the aircraft can potentially lift or just whatever the heaviest weight you have tried? Both are different and I'm not sure if most people would try this, but it would be great to know the real MTOW.
Yep, already getting confusing. For me, on my hexa, this would be the base weight + Canon SX200is + (2) 3S 4500mah batteries. That is the heaviest I have flown it.

Would that be acceptable?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:55 PM
K0RSQ
Saint Louis, Missouri, US
Joined Sep 2010
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactadpole View Post

Maybe a "Maximum Take Off Weight (MTOW)"? With this I would just put my heaviest weight at flight. I think this would also require a column for flight accessories, ie. camera, video transmitter, etc. So, another column called "MTOW - included equipment" or something like that.

Thoughts? -Shawn
Exactly! That's what I'm looking for. I started by adding the battery to the base weight, but then noticed that there are notes about flying with cameras and other stuff that wasn't listed anywhere. It would be nice to see the most that a given setup has lifted (and still performed reasonably).
cmccracken is offline Find More Posts by cmccracken
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:03 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Following columns added to spreadsheet:

Maximium Take Off Weight (MTOW)
MTOW - included equipment
MTOW - flight time
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:36 PM
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
55 Posts
The Maximum Takeoff Weight (MTOW) or Maximum Takeoff Mass of an aircraft is the maximum weight at which the pilot of the aircraft is allowed to attempt to take off, due to structural or other limits.
Flywithmike is offline Find More Posts by Flywithmike
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:44 PM
San Marcos, TX
Joined Jan 2010
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flywithmike View Post
The Maximum Takeoff Weight (MTOW) or Maximum Takeoff Mass of an aircraft is the maximum weight at which the pilot of the aircraft is allowed to attempt to take off, due to structural or other limits.
In our case it won't fit exactly that definition. Here is what I put in the column notes section for that one:

weight with battery(ies) and equipment listed in next column
Old Nov 15, 2010, 11:45 PM
Nashua NH
Joined Jul 2005
78 Posts
Edit: that works