|Oct 07, 2001, 09:29 PM|
Joined Apr 2001
Just bought GWS Tiger Moth
Hi, looks cute, had to have one after seeing some fly at Concord contest last Sun.
Anything to watch out for???
|Oct 07, 2001, 09:41 PM|
The kit works pretty well right out of the box.
Some things that I'd recommend include:
- The GWS glue is O.K. but I'd recommend staying with two part epoxy.
- Don't bother with the double sided tape for the lower wing dihedrel support. Rough up the surface of the plastic and bond it to the lower wing with epoxy.
- Don't bother with the double stick tape for the upper wing either. It doesn't fit like GWS intended and doesn't seem to be needed.
- I'd cut the rudder and elevator seams and use hinge tape for freedom of movement.
- Consider widening the battery slot to accomodate larger batteries before you bond the fuse. I find the 150mah Nicad works nicely for stunts. I use a 700mah NiMh for ~30 minute flights. Both fit in the wider slot and are held nicely by vercro.
- The stock prop is a little weak at the hub. Buy a few extras.
- Go search the Slow Flyer forum for "Tiger" and "TM" to see a number of mods.
Have fun! Nice slow flyer! Jim C.
|Oct 07, 2001, 10:11 PM|
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
Dave, there is a ton of good advice in the Slow Flyers section. Just do a search in Slow Flyers for Tiger Moth and prepare to be overwhelmed! All of the GWS TM messages are in Slow Flyers rather than Foamies.
|Oct 07, 2001, 10:43 PM|
The tigermoth is a great little airplane. I fly mine more than anything else I own. I did some mods to mine and they are on a simple website along with pics and even a couple of videos
|Oct 08, 2001, 08:45 AM|
Tiger Moth mods
I used .061 music wire for the landing gear (about an inch longer than the kit) with Trexler air wheels. This works much better than the weak landing gear wire in the kit and only adds a couple of grams to the weight. I also made and exhaust pipe from plastic tubing for the cowl.
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||Just bought a pico tiger moth battery?||helifann||Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric)||4||Jan 27, 2006 07:38 PM|
|Just bought New Tiger Moth, Any Mod Suggestions?||Acer||Parkflyers||5||Mar 09, 2002 05:44 PM|
|Just Unpacked GWS Tiger Moth - Impressive Instruction Book!||mrebman||Parkflyers||3||Jul 12, 2001 01:37 PM|
|Just Got my first look at the GWS Tiger Moth-Small battery compartment!||mrebman||Parkflyers||3||Jul 10, 2001 08:47 PM|
|GWS Tiger Moth||RMason||Scale Kit/Scratch Built||0||Jun 26, 2001 05:21 PM|