SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by S11D336B, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:51 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
I have just set up a servo trigger for my RX100 camera and while testing that did a short bit of video footage. This is the raw footage (apart from whatever yootoob does) and I had disabled the sound in camera. HFP gimbal outputs. Shot in AL mode with the AL set at 35%, no expo settings on my radio yet. Dead calm conditions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YvT-...ature=youtu.be
Hey Stacky, that looks really good. Just a touch of some sort of shake or vibration. Do you think it's servo jitter or is it vibration?

I think I've given up on gimbals...

Just built a QAV500 FPV quad with two GoPros on it
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:26 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
The CP thing is a hard one... it was dark, overcast and raining and when I metered light on the ground i didnt have enough F stops to use the CP filter and keep my shutter speed in the 1/160 range on the Nex-5n.

I had a good CP filter too...

and yeah I have made 2 videos for promotional material for the lodge that I stayed with. Those are 90% ground shots and 10% aerial shots.

They are done and just waiting to be uploaded on their youtube account and linked on their website. When they are uploaded ill link to them here.

Once I get all 3 videos done for them (still working on one more) then I can get to work on an aerial highlight reel.

Unfortunately the weather was poor the entire trip and I was forced to fly in the rain in order to get the number of shots I needed. Also being out in the wilderness with no way to charge batteries (i got 3 charges off a motor cycle battery) meant that I was limited on my flights.

I wish I would have flown more, but in 20-30mph winds and rain I got some good shots...
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:32 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
The CP thing is a hard one... it was dark, overcast and raining and when I metered light on the ground i didnt have enough F stops to use the CP filter and keep my shutter speed in the 1/160 range on the Nex-5n.

I had a good CP filter too...

and yeah I have made 2 videos for promotional material for the lodge that I stayed with. Those are 90% ground shots and 10% aerial shots.

They are done and just waiting to be uploaded on their youtube account and linked on their website. When they are uploaded ill link to them here.

Once I get all 3 videos done for them (still working on one more) then I can get to work on an aerial highlight reel.

Unfortunately the weather was poor the entire trip and I was forced to fly in the rain in order to get the number of shots I needed. Also being out in the wilderness with no way to charge batteries (i got 3 charges off a motor cycle battery) meant that I was limited on my flights.

I wish I would have flown more, but in 20-30mph winds and rain I got some good shots...
Good point on not enough light for the filter, I had forgotten how dark they are. I haven't used one for years but it was pretty cool when I could/did use it.

Man, you had some extreme conditions... I'm a wus, don't know that I would have even dared fly in 20-30mph winds let alone Rain Yikes!

The short clips you've shared have me curious and look good despite the conditions. Look forward to more.

Paul
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:37 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
thanks, yeah..... i think that will be the hardest place I ever fly...

traveling on airlines with my rigs in pelican cases (100lbs of gear or so) testing the rigs once they are back in flying shape after travel.... then folding them back up, putting them back into the pelican cases, loading up on a float plane, flying out to a river, loading them in a raft or jet boat, unfolding, mounting cameras, hooking up FPV gear, and getting it in the air all in the rain and on a river with almost no bank

it was fun and I hope to be back up there next year with more experience, my gear is good enough...... I just am not (yet)
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:54 AM
multi rotors,foamies,car lover
Joined Dec 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
thanks, yeah..... i think that will be the hardest place I ever fly...

traveling on airlines with my rigs in pelican cases (100lbs of gear or so) testing the rigs once they are back in flying shape after travel.... then folding them back up, putting them back into the pelican cases, loading up on a float plane, flying out to a river, loading them in a raft or jet boat, unfolding, mounting cameras, hooking up FPV gear, and getting it in the air all in the rain and on a river with almost no bank

it was fun and I hope to be back up there next year with more experience, my gear is good enough...... I just am not (yet)
i will have to buy a octo folding frame soon because its not very pratical but the quadcopter is the best for transport but no redundancy at all , I imagine travel my 40 inch octo frame in a plane lol!
windfou is offline Find More Posts by windfou
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:59 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Even when I had my octo, my Nikon 5100 was wrapped up tight in a Sistema plastic container surrounded by foam. I'm a protectionist at heart! I still didn't want to test the redundancy. It was a vtail 8 tho, so if a tail rotor failed, it would spiral (or so the theory goes) ...:-))
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:02 AM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,943 Posts
i am not THAT attached to my nex-5n.... it isnt cheap, but it isnt that expensive (and i have the square trade warranty that covers accidental damage and submersion, incase I drop it into water on accident )
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:54 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Hey Paul, I think the shudder is caused by a tilt servo that doesnt have enough grunt. Pete swapped out my roll servo for a gruntier one and it stopped the shudder on that.
I do however wonder about the impact of prop wash on the gimbals, especially the lighter gimbals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helidaho View Post
Hey Stacky, that looks really good. Just a touch of some sort of shake or vibration. Do you think it's servo jitter or is it vibration?

I think I've given up on gimbals...

Just built a QAV500 FPV quad with two GoPros on it
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:55 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
964 Posts
I have been testing my new diy gimbal under my quad. Very simple and solid - photos coming.
It's first placement was between the u/c legs, forward of the dome. It was under the rear of the front props - the video was really jumpy even though the mount was solid.

I moved the mount under the frame where it was almost completely shielded by the central FC hub. I saw an instant improvement in vibes (and then I buried my quad... but that is a different issue ).

I love how tidy the front-mounts can look but the closer you get to the propwash, I believe the more vibes are creeping in (no matter how brilliant and expensive your mount is).

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN4Bs...ature=youtu.be

sport board nex7 hardwired to frame
h2ohsng is offline Find More Posts by h2ohsng
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,462 Posts
you guys are great with ap work but what is the best machine to work with , ilke my octo but it take lot of room in my car , am thinking to going back to x8 but again
the props balancing and props wash give me headache i think going back to a basic quad with quality motor this will save me time and what are % of chance i can crash the quadcopter?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Apr 2011
130 Posts
hex or octo

go with the hexacopter minimum or octo youll have better results..dale
h2ohsng is offline Find More Posts by h2ohsng
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Much happier with the x-8 then a quad myself.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:28 PM
Joined Dec 2008
1,462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohsng View Post
go with the hexacopter minimum or octo youll have better results..dale
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZSlenker View Post
Much happier with the x-8 then a quad myself.
thanks guy but i just take a look at the hoverfly website and they sell a quadcopter for 10000$ and a octo at 17000$ , i think they have nice machine but why in i cant even sell a hexacopter at 250$ why i can't even sale a hexacopter at 250$ in my country

I think i miss something here, it will be great to have rich customer here
so i can have my own business , i can custom build g10 with cnc right here
and i don't have any buyers for theses machine , but anyway sorry i am out of subject but i tought i can sell multirotors my self and am a bit disapointed today
invest about 6000$ in this since i want to start this business
Old Aug 22, 2012, 12:10 AM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,765 Posts
Here's some video from my latest quad build, a QAV500. This puppy has a place for 2 GoPro cameras, one front facing and the other down facing. Get some pretty cool shots. Unfortunately, the quad weighs in at about 1966g and I think the 10x3.8 APC props I have on it aren't quite up to the task and flex at high speeds.

Here's my very first FPV video from this setup:

Beach Cruising (4 min 5 sec)