Old Mar 02, 2012, 11:22 PM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtradiocontrol View Post
hi all - just got my P2K...

I had ordered a P2K from hobbyking during the short time they were in stock a few weeks ago... After waiting OVER A WEEK, they still hadn't shipped out my order! It was "Printed in the warehouse and being packed. ..

I am comparing the overall quality of this model to my Brothers Radian Pro, and we both agree (him reluctantly) that the P2K from economyrc BLOWS IT OUT OF THE AIR. He paid almost $300 for his radian pro (BNF) after shipping, and now he feels like he got massively screwed....

Bottom line - I am incredibly impressed with this model from economyrc. My brother is borderline depressed about his radian. I suppose the real test will be after a few flights, to see if the stock motor/esc is really worth a damn...
Actually, the real test will be trying to get parts for the P2K. Like a wing or a fuselage, e.g.

Also, China goes on holiday around the beginning of Feb. I mean, the entire country. It's their new year celebration / spring festival. You're lucky you got to message anyone.

--
Greg
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2012, 04:02 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
Just for the sake of info completeness, some of the best servos whinge and whine constantly, like they're seconds from failure. This is especially true of digital servos (I don't believe the ones supplied with the RP are digital), because of their high frequency positional monitoring. Unlike an analog servo whose pot feedback frequencies may be below the threshold of human hearing, a digital servo may emit buzz at 1kHz+ which is easy to hear.
This is quite right! I have a Radian Pro and the flap servo's are digital, so they whine all the time, that's normal but I don't like it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botulism View Post
Actually, the real test will be trying to get parts for the P2K. Like a wing or a fuselage, e.g.
I had to replace my canopy after a crash, nowhere to be found! So I made one out of an old Trex 600 canopy.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Mar 03, 2012, 05:44 AM
It's supposed to fly that way?
Spain, AL, Zurgena
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
Botulism, see the previous post from Headless again. I've just ordered a pair of wings,'cos I know I'll break one someday!
http://www.throttlestore.com/spare_p...r.aspx?lang=EN
Yes, probably expensive, but at least I've got them!
Philosan1 is offline Find More Posts by Philosan1
Old Mar 03, 2012, 10:16 AM
Malta
Joined May 2008
67 Posts
Ported Spinner?

Can you suggest me a ported spinner maybe from HobbyKing Please!

And thanks for the suggestions (in fact I already opened up some holes in the firewall and spacers for the use of a ported spinner!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4 View Post
A ported spinner is the most effective cooling modification in my opinion, assuming you're willing to invest effort to open up holes in the firewall as well.

Other vents near the nose are of marginal value, since it's difficult to direct their airstream into the motor's windings. Lipos don't mind being warm, but "hot" is a problem. Additional air scoops near the front should help with the battery cooling.

There's already an exit vent. It's all the way back near the rudder.

You could also go with a smaller prop if that wouldn't detract too much from your style of flying.
mecci is offline Find More Posts by mecci
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:56 AM
Spain, AL, Zurgena
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
OK, I know, I jinxed myself buying those wings! But I'm glad I did One mid-air collision today, in perfect weather too! Fortunately the ploughed field alongside our runway softened the fuselage impact, or I would probably have had to order either a new plane complete, or just got another fuselage as well! Went in from about 200ft! Oh well, we have the technology, we can repair them, and I'll keep them as spares
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:29 AM
Rebelliously devoid of tattoos
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecci View Post
Can you suggest me a ported spinner maybe from HobbyKing Please!

And thanks for the suggestions (in fact I already opened up some holes in the firewall and spacers for the use of a ported spinner!)
Hobbyking seems very apathetic about their folding prop offerings. The range is somewhat minimal, plus most of it is out of stock most of the time.

Leader Hobby are very HK-like, except they ship stuff much faster nowadays:

http://leaderhobby.com/list.asp?type...&categories=34

The quality of those units is decent. Not spectacular, but for the money the're fine.

The stock Phoenix 2000 spinner is around 42mm in diameter, but I actually think it's a bit small - 45mm is a better fit for the nose of the plane. Therefore, anything on that page with a 45mm (or 40mm) diameter that fits your motor shaft should be OK.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Mar 04, 2012, 10:39 AM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
483 Posts
vtradiocontrol, glad to help and thank you for confirming the configuration of your P2K as it arrived from Economy RC. It seems that the Plug&Fly versions from HK include 4 servos instead of 6. I trust you will have lots of fun with the P2K. Also, thanks for heads up on the price hike at Economy RC.

Several flyers at the field have been impressed with the P2K's performance and ordered. At the same time there are several Radian Pros at our flying field and they fly well too. The RP costs more, however I believe they generally come with better components, docs, support and parts availability. Each person has to make their own determination on the "value" of each offering. I was looking to get something cheap that still had very good potential as a full-house 2M thermal ship, and P2K fits the bill perfectly.

Folks, it seems that there are several different configurations for the P2K available at this time. Below are the currently in-stock P2K configs that I am aware of in case anyone is interested in getting one now (hopefully HK will re-stock in US warehouse soon):

- HobbyKing, prodID: Phoenix2-ARF, does not includes servos, motor and ESC. $53 plus $42 shipping to CA . Going by their description this is really a Kit rather than an ARF. Total of $95 to my door with 3 weeks for delivery.

- R2 Hobbies, prodID: rcpl2401001, P2K ARF includes motor and ESC, does not include any servos. $78 plus $36 shipping to CA. ARF without servos. Total of $114 to my door with 2 weeks for delivery.

- EconomyRC, prodID: AAG-0PX2-0-00, does include 6 servos, motor and ESC. $143 includes shipping, with 1 week for delivery to CA. This is plug&fly (PNP) version that includes 6 servos (all 4 servos in wing are pre-installed with wire extensions).

Too bad the P2K price at EconomyRC has jumped up. A while back they were going for $99 plus $13 for shipping to CA. May not be as good of deal as R2 or HK but complete PNP and fast shipping are worth a consideration.

That said, the P2K canopy shows up as in-stock at EconomyRC, they still sell it for $9 (includes shipping).

Anyways if you have your own electronics to add and can wait a bit longer for delivery, it seems like HK and R2 have slightly better economical deals than EconomyRC.
planekrazy is offline Find More Posts by planekrazy
Old Mar 04, 2012, 06:57 PM
Joined Apr 2005
11 Posts
anybody knows the original motor and spinner and propeller , please
flavio martins is offline Find More Posts by flavio martins
Old Mar 05, 2012, 12:16 AM
Redwood City, CA USA
Joined Mar 2002
483 Posts
- 2815 1050kv brushless motor
- 45mm spinner with 3mm motor shaft adapter
- 10x6 folding prop

The P2K stock motor is referenced in the table on this Lanyu web page:
http://www.lanyuhobby.com/viewProduct_en.asp?flowNo=345

Stock motor on my P2K has 3mm shaft and looks like this:
http://www.himodel.com/electric/1050..._2815-01E.html

Spinner diameter measures 45mm and folding prop 10 inches. I presume the prop pitch is 6 because that is what this ebay ad indicates it is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PHOENIX-2000...#ht_2927wt_814
planekrazy is offline Find More Posts by planekrazy
Old Mar 05, 2012, 04:21 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planekrazy View Post

The P2K stock motor is referenced in the table on this Lanyu web page:
I also note the specs show it comes standard (all formats) with 6 servos.
Meaning operating flaps (w/servos) is THE way it's supposed to come. Apparently "some" of our luvly distributors cut corners here & there and push a cheapened version.
(They would be Kings!)
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:29 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,445 Posts
Hi all;
Hypothetical situation question -- and I hope we get some input from seasoned glider pilots who might have faced this very thing:
Let's say you're up pretty high -- 600-800' or more. Something (whatever) happens & you lose sight of your glider. Several seconds pass, & it's just nowhere to be seen....vanished! What do you do?

I don't know if there's some standard emergency protocol (SEP) -- that's what I'm hoping to find or learn -- but in pondering on the scenario I'd think you should have 2 goals in mind. 1)- Keep it as close to point-of-loss as possible, & 2)- Do what you can to minimize crash damage when it contacts the ground (presumably still unseen).
You guys agree, or argue with those premises?

And, what would YOU do to achieve those goals, given no 'SEP' alternative?
I have a couple things in mind, but want to hear your ideas without my influencing.
And perhaps needless to say, I've faced this very condition so know it happens -- I was just lucky enough to pick up sight of it again. Losing it was no happy feeling!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by StarHopper44; Mar 05, 2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:40 AM
Rebelliously devoid of tattoos
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Hi all;
Hypothetical situation question -- and I hope we get some input from seasoned glider pilots who might have faced this very thing:
Let's say you're up pretty high -- 600-800' or more. Something (whatever) happens & you lose sight of your glider. Several seconds pass, & it's just nowhere to be seen....vanished! What do you do?

I don't know if there's some standard emergency protocol (SEP) -- that's what I'm hoping to find or learn -- but in pondering on the scenario I'd think you should have 2 goals in mind. 1)- Keep it as close to point-of-loss as possible, & 2)- Do what you can to minimize crash damage when it contacts the ground (presumably still unseen).
You guys agree, or argue with those premises?

And, what would YOU do to achieve those goals, given no 'SEP' alternative?
I have a couple things in mind, but want to hear your ideas without my influencing.
And perhaps needless to say, I've faced this very condition so know it happens -- I was just lucky enough to pick up sight of it again. Losing it was no happy feeling!
I'm certainly not an experienced glider pilot, but I've faced that situation and as you say it is rather scary - not so much because the plane might be lost (that hurts too of course), but because of what it might fly into

My strategy is a tight turn. Sticks into opposite bottom corners. A tumbling airframe is going to be easier to spot, plus it's going to be losing altitude and horizontal momentum. If it ends up crashing somewhere before I can spot it in the sky, the airspeed should be minimised by that maneuver.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Mar 05, 2012, 06:55 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,103 Posts
I think a lot of us have 'been there done that'.
Many, many years ago, a friend and I built a Trident 2.5 metre poly-dihedral glider each.
My friend's glider got very high then out of control downwind and vanished. We found it three days later 2km away on the roof of the local hospital (I can't remember exactly how we managed to find it on the roof of a 3 story building - thinking about I think there was a piece of wing found on the ground nearby) the thing was in a million pieces, we should not have even bothered climbing on the roof to recover the toothpicks!

Anyway a few weeks ago I had my Phoenix up about 700 feet and I looked away then had trouble finding it, I was freaking out.
Luckily I regained sight of it and all was good.

But your question makes me think I should indeed put in place, as you put it a 'SEP'
1/ Mark it with the name of the flying club and the phone number.*
2/ Set the fail safes to Throttle off, full up elevator, full left or right rudder, neutral aileron, flaps lowered and hopefully it will spiral or flat spin down 'somewhere' less than 5 miles away!
3/ Lost model alarm.

That's all I can think off the top of my head. I'll be interested in seeing other suggestions too.

-B!

Rider: *I must also say that it always a concern if a plane goes MIA at height, that when it comes down what is it going hit, damage or hurt.
In that case ya don't really want the person with a big lump on their head or dented car knowing how to contact you to sue you!!!

Rider2: 4/ If your rich (and I'm not) get one of those Auto Pilot gizmos with GPS that have 'Return to Home' and circle if contact is lost!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Mar 05, 2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 07:30 AM
Spain, AL, Zurgena
Joined Mar 2011
106 Posts
I "lost" a Cloudsfly over a fairly heavily built-up area near Mojacar! The ESC failed for some reason, and she just spiralled down behind some buildings about 1/2k away! By a miracle it landed on some scrub land in the middle of those houses, with no damage to it or property/persons! However, that was the scariest 30mins of my life life 'til I found it!
Old Mar 05, 2012, 08:26 AM
Oviedo
Joined Jun 2010
2,191 Posts
What to do in that case ? there is not much...

i would try to begin a wide circle to one side.. the one we believe will bring the model closer.. the problem is if we dont see the plane we dont know if it veered off course and is pointing a diferent direction... theorically if the plane was going away and you begin a circle towards you and it doesnt veer off the circle will bring it closer.. more close the wider is the circle... problem is.. real world there are tons of "analogic" variables .. winds, guts at altitude .. thermals ..lifts... the model having some tendency.. you name it..

I have a tiny Hobbyzone Champ .. its 40g and 52cm wide.. on its very first flight it just shut down (later discovered to be a faulty brick) while it was flying 30m away from me.. problem was .. i was on top of a slope (no wind..wasnt trying to slope it) with lots of houses down the hill and it was facing away from the hill so it began gliding down the hill and dissapeared..

Luckily 30m after i managed to find it in some luxury house backyard stuck in some bushes 400m away... but was quite scary as it very well could had continued gliding down the hill hundres and hundres of meters more.. also it had aparently veered off into the hill at some point and did at least one 180 turn as i found it facing away in the bush than its patch..all that went out of view..
JLT_GTI is offline Find More Posts by JLT_GTI
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CL-415 GuanLi