Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 06, 2011, 05:43 PM
United States, CA, San Luis Obispo
Joined Aug 2009
98 Posts
My first electric motor sailplane

Thought I would report on my new Phoenix 2000 experience. First, I am a "pure" sailplane pilot and "Don't need no stinkin' motor". But I wanted a night flyer with LED's. They are cool, so I got the Phoenix for night flying.

You really do get a lot for the price even if some of it needs some beefing up. My elevator servo was broken (?) before I even did anything. A tooth was broken on the final output gear. Fixed it. I also went with a 4 servo wing by cutting the hinge wedge and sticking in a couple of HS 55's. I used some spare clevises and carbon rods for the wing pushrods. Also ordered a 2200 mAhr battery but it is really too heavy. I mounted it all the way back to the servo tray and it is still a little nose heavy but not too bad.

Two maiden flights late last Saturday night and then off to an ALES contest on Sunday morning. I was very happy with how well it flew with little airtime and trimming. It thermals well and seems to want to hold a bank once set in a turn. It felt like a "real glider". I am sure a 1300 mAhr battery pack will allow it to slow up a little and I can get the CG back a little more. It landed nicely although I had to get used to the extended approach it took even with flaps and crow. Probably due to extra ballast on board. Well, I did not win but I did not come in last either. A real fun plane without a winch.

I really don't like the wing bolts but I can fix that. My other gliders are fun but this has a very good fun/dollar ratio. Now I need to install the LEDs. I wonder if they will shine through the fuse? I need to try that.

Mike Wilson
Mike Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Mike Wilson
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2011, 06:00 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wilson View Post
Now I need to install the LEDs. I wonder if they will shine through the fuse? I need to try that.

Mike Wilson
LED's will show through the fuse.. I had a UBEC with a LED in it and thats showed throught OK...

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:39 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:
,,,I really don't like the wing bolts but I can fix that. ...
Mike Wilson
Whatcha got in mind?

I've been thinking of rigging up something along these lines:
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:53 AM
Joined Aug 2009
98 Posts
Wing Attachment

The problem I have with the wing attachment is:
The bolts are too long
The threads are too fine
The head is not user friendly

All these together make it a chore to attach the wing. My thought was to do something very simple like using appropriate length #6-32 screw with allen heads (or some metric size that is similar). I would try to drill and tap the existing blind nuts and if they come out... fine, I will just put in what I want.
I think it is likely they would come out. Looks like 1.25 inch length may work for the front bolts and about 0.75 for the rear.

If you go with the 3 mm rod approach, you may want to think how you would attach them down below. I don't think anything will stick to the fuse except for a bolt through the side of it. It is slimy stuff.

Mike
Old Dec 07, 2011, 12:49 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
The problem I have with the wing attachment is:
The bolts are too long
The threads are too fine
The head is not user friendly

All these together make it a chore to attach the wing. My thought was to do something very simple like using appropriate length #6-32 screw with allen heads (or some metric size that is similar). I would try to drill and tap the existing blind nuts and if they come out... fine, I will just put in what I want.
I think it is likely they would come out. Looks like 1.25 inch length may work for the front bolts and about 0.75 for the rear.

If you go with the 3 mm rod approach, you may want to think how you would attach them down below. I don't think anything will stick to the fuse except for a bolt through the side of it. It is slimy stuff.

Mike
I used Allen head bolts...

There was a post ages ago ,, that some one fitted wooden dowles through the fuse and held the wings on with rubber bands...

Old Dec 07, 2011, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2009
98 Posts
Bolts

Skyhawk,
Nice. Did you stick with metric?

Mike
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:01 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Skyhawk,
Nice. Did you stick with metric?

Mike
Yep....

3M bolts 20mm / 30mm...
Old Dec 07, 2011, 03:13 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Sean, I measured my front screws & they are 35mm long, so that's what I ordered when I got Socket Head replacements. I noted in a couple places you've cited 30mm - I presume that'll work as, you use those! Now looking closer at the pic of your replacements (the SH's), they do appear slightly shorter than the ones replaced, alongside. Do they reach all the way thru the anchor nut att'd to the fuse?

And Mike W.;
I agree they are a pita to get the wing mounted up. My maiden Sunday was an exercise in frustration trying to get everything lined up -- hell, that took longer than the flight that followed! *LOL*

After about the 4th or 5th time I sat there blindly screwing the 1st screw in without it catching (starting) in the anchor nut, I finally resorted to a li'l trick. I have a box of round toothpicks in my ol' Blazer -- took 3 of 'em & placed thru 2 of the wing opposing screw holes, & lifting the wing slightly, peering underneath guided 'em into the anchor nuts. Eased the wing down and put the 3rd into another hole. With 3 of the holes aligned perfectly this way, getting the first screw started was then easy. Pulled the 'pick from its opposing side & got the 2nd started. Repeated for 3rd then 4th....the toothpick trick made it a breeze.

I should say on 1st try the toothpick fell all the way thru, so I stuck it in again & broke over about 1/4" of the upper tip so it wouldn't fall in completely; same on others. Piece o' cake!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:05 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Sean, I measured my front screws & they are 35mm long, so that's what I ordered when I got Socket Head replacements. I noted in a couple places you've cited 30mm - I presume that'll work as, you use those! Now looking closer at the pic of your replacements (the SH's), they do appear slightly shorter than the ones replaced, alongside. Do they reach all the way thru the anchor nut att'd to the fuse?
You've got me there... I thought they where 20mm and 30mm ...
just go with what your screws measure... yes they anchor very well...

I sold my Phoenix last month ,
but still stay on this thread to try and help others . . .

Sean..
Last edited by skyhawk newbie; Dec 08, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:16 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Feb 2008
127 Posts
Just got mine in the mail today. Less than a week from the order to delivery from HK USA to Indiana. Got here in good shape. So far I'm impressed with the plane. I realize that I am going to need to swap out some parts but that's fine. Since its getting cold here I think it will be a while before I fly. Gives me time to do the mods I've been reading about and something to do while the snow is on the ground.

This is my first glider in about 30 years. I'm looking forward to flying this one. I kind of like the idea of the motor glider.
bamoore01 is offline Find More Posts by bamoore01
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:56 PM
Joined Sep 2011
33 Posts
Ya know, I didn't think to weigh it, and now it's all installed. I'll weigh it next time I have it out. The mount doesn't weigh much, and I think the weight of the mount is negligible compared to the fact that it places the motor about 1/4" forward of the stock location. My preliminary testing shows my 3000 mAh battery will be quite a ways back and extending under the servo tray a bit, but it does fit. I'll nail down the final placement once the rest of the plane is done. I'm pretty sure I will be able to balance it with battery placement alone and won't need tail weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
@ Invenext:
What's the weight on your mount rig, with mounting hardware? Any concerns for tipping the scale for an already slightly nose-heavy tendency up there?
invenext is offline Find More Posts by invenext
Old Dec 08, 2011, 12:32 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
You've got me there... I thought they where 20mm and 30mm ...
just go with what your screws measure... yes they anchor very well...
Sean..
Not much choice now, unless I re-buy. I had already ordered the 35's before I became aware of your using 30's - in fact they & the 20's came in yesterday. I wanted to clarify (ie, make sure the "30" wasn't a typo) as, I got a PM asking if 30's were too short -- the guy's available supplier only had 30's not 35's. Plus, it's handy info to know for anyone else caught in that situation. Too, with the fine thread, the add'l length makes for about a minute or two extra work with the screwdriver. Makes me appreciate that li'l cordless I showed, all the more.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2011, 01:37 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
746 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
I sold my Phoenix last month ,
but still stay on this thread to try and help others . . .
So you sold it? Sad to hear that......why did you decide to do that, I thought you used it mainly for slope soaring.
Still nice to have you anticipating in this thread though...
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:28 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,153 Posts
!
Yeah I agree with you BarnOwl. SkyHawk,why did ya sell ya Phoenix 2000? - That's blasphemy!! It's a nice little plane and I'll be keeping mine in my fleet unless it fly's off into the blue yonder from me being crazzzzy trying break altitude records and lose sight of it - don't ask how I...
Ok, it's happened before! - see edit below or I write it off - of course that's happen before too!

Mike, With the wing mounting bolts like many others I replaced the stock Philips head bolts with 3mm x 30mm and 3mm x 20mm Hex/Allen head bolts (mentioned with pictures a few pages/weeks back). However I do need a new cordless screwdriver the batteries are past the use by date.
Winding the bolts in with an normal Allen key is a pain the azz, so I use the cordless drill if I can bothered taking it to the field or use a Helidirect/Turnigy Hex driver - all pictured.

HOT TIP!: If you get a white glider with a 2 metre wingspan up to the point where it's a, well a 'point' (2000+ feet?) in the sky on an overcast day, don't and I repeat DON'T look away, because if you do, that's the last time you'll ever see said glider again!!
(Don't know why I added the 'Hot Tip', I guess I was just thinking of the only ways I get rid of an aircraft from my fleet!)

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is online now Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Dec 08, 2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2011, 02:44 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
So you sold it? Sad to hear that......why did you decide to do that, I thought you used it mainly for slope soaring.
Still nice to have you anticipating in this thread though...
Sold it for 80 ,think thats around $105 ?
Needed the space in my small hobby room/work shop..

Too many R/C's . .
3x Radian / Multiplex Cularis / ST Model Fox / 2x Multiplex Blizzard / CMPro Ventus / Kyosho Stratus(vintage) . . .

hpi Baja / Axial AX-10 / Kyosho Ultima ST/ Traxxas T-Maxx / Losi micro DT . .

as well as Tx's / Chargers / Spares / Tools etc,etc ,