SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:07 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,228 Posts
"Look....all I asked was had anyone thought to, & tried, opening the spinner cone to let air thru for cooling....and implicitly, results from doing so. Basically a simple "Yes" or "No" question"

See post 368 for a modified stock spinner etc.
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:29 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
"Look....all I asked was had anyone thought to, & tried, opening the spinner cone to let air thru for cooling....and implicitly, results from doing so. Basically a simple "Yes" or "No" question"

Andy
I think for best results you have to have some open area in the firewall..
other wise the air traveling throught the Turbo Spinner is just hitting the firewall and not the motor......

Turbo Spinners on E-Bay...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-50x4-0-...item336e8195bd

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
Old Dec 01, 2011, 10:51 PM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,067 Posts
Hey guys,
Flying mine "bone stock." Added flaps and put some rudder mixing in, and flys nice. The flaps make it land ultra slow.
flap land (0 min 16 sec)

For $100.00 at my door, you can't beat it.
kmdunnster is offline Find More Posts by kmdunnster
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:25 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdunnster View Post
Hey guys,
Flying mine "bone stock." Added flaps and put some rudder mixing in, and flys nice. The flaps make it land ultra slow.
You've got bs the size of Volkswagens for flying and landing that thing on what looks like little more than a grassy sidewalk

I need about half a kilometer of nothing in all directions before I even contemplate chucking the Phoenix into the air.

Awesome paint job!
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Dec 01, 2011, 11:33 PM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,067 Posts
Bluff Park

I fly at a place in Long Beach, California called Bluff Park. There's a 70' Bluff overlooking the beach and harbor area. We get some good lift coming in off the ocean. It's actually not that bad of landing area. I've seen guys with 4m scale stuff land there, so the Phoenix with flaps is a snap.
Kev
Old Dec 02, 2011, 12:14 AM
Seeker of Thermals
United States, MT, Kalispell
Joined Aug 2004
665 Posts
Quote:
I fly at a place in Long Beach, California called Bluff Park. There's a 70' Bluff overlooking the beach and harbor area.
Kevin, I've flown at that park a few times (many years ago), what a great place to slope soar (if the wind is coming onshore), but I seem to remember the landing strip was really a 'strip'. Even though I now fly in the wide open spaces, I'm definitely going to put the (optional) flaps on my P2K.

Also, what type of paint did you use? Did it seem to stick to the foam OK?
botulism is offline Find More Posts by botulism
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:54 AM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,067 Posts
Hey guys,
For the paint I used just regular old rattle can high gloss enamel. In the pictures i posted, ii did kind of a hack job just to get it in the air
Since, i retouched it and it's much better
Old Dec 02, 2011, 04:20 AM
Heli's and gliders, what else?
Nederland, GE, Slijk-Ewijk
Joined Apr 2006
751 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys,
For the paint I used just regular old rattle can high gloss enamel. In the pictures i posted, ii did kind of a hack job just to get it in the air
Since, i retouched it and it's much better
Nice landing job there.......!
I like the paint job, makes it a lot more visible up above.
BarnOwl is offline Find More Posts by BarnOwl
Old Dec 02, 2011, 04:36 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Just to let you know... Invasion stripes are White and Black..

" White / Black / White / Black / White "

Nice vid .

Old Dec 02, 2011, 05:08 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,171 Posts
KM: Thats a way cool 'flying field' ya got there, gezz, beach, sun, surf, flying. You've got it figured!
Does anyone ever bitch about you flying there.
Do you fly out high over the ocean? - That would be scary cool.

SkyHawk: What's up with the Orange on your tailplane then?
Perhaps KM's Red/White are Safety Invasion Stripes!?

B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:41 AM
Unregistered User
Long Beach, CA
Joined Mar 2010
1,067 Posts
You're right Fugitive Bill, it is cool place to fly. Park your'e car and walk 50' to the slope. Lots of "eye candy. " There have been guys flying there since the 70's with no major problems luckily. The beachgoers are more interested/curious than anything else. As far as the stripes on the underside, we'll just call them orientation stripes.
Kev
Last edited by kmdunnster; Dec 02, 2011 at 11:07 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2011, 07:58 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain View Post
Andy
Re 'Turbo' spinner:
Excellent reference! Thanks for linking back to it. After seeing the pics again, I now remember seeing them early-on in my first read-thru but didn't pay much attention to what they 'told' as I hadn't yet attached the significance of what a problem overheating was, as the easy solution seemed to be to merely not over-run the motor. It appears MikeC47 (the owner) went ahead and opened the spinner to its maximum potential, whereas I'd prefer to start with a small opening & re-test (via Eagle Tree) cooling effects in successive steps to determine if there's a maximum point where one could expect no additional gains by increasing the opening. [Edit: along with adding firewall openings as recommended) Will necessitate sacrificing at least one 'cone', of course, but small price to pay, especially considering as someone mentioned, the possibility of spending half the price of the plane just to upgrade the prop system! Just another facet, & something else to play around with, as I'm flying. Adds to the enjoyment, for me!

I've also seen, just by attaching the wings one time, the advantage of SkyHawk's suggestion to swap out the Phillips screws for socket heads...and in fact ordered the replacements yesterday afternoon along with a 2.5mm hex key to use until I can complete another mod - that being a tool. Which, a little 'builder's tip' I'd like to share, in that regard. (Next post).
Again, thanks for the info!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 08:09 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,564 Posts
Hobbyist's Tool Tip!

I picked up a small cordless screwdriver recently that I have already used far more than I anticipated at point-of-purchase. In fact, used it to attach every fastener on my P2K! For those of you with access to a Lowes store, they (mine at least) have put out some 'end cap displays' of "Gifts Under $##" and this one is in the 'Under $10' banner. It's made, or more accurately, imported & distributed by General Tools with their branding -- includes hex-shanked bits for #0 & #1 Phillips, 1/8 & 1/16" Flat, and T5 & T6 Torx screws; even includes the 2 AAA batteries to power it; the package says for '8+ Hours of Power'. It has a surprising amount of torque (features 'Super-Torque Drive', probably meaning it's geared), turns ~100rpm unloaded, and it's slightly less than a Magic Marker in diameter & under 7" long so will easily fit into most any toolkit without crowding. I also see on the package where it's received a Popular Mechanics 'Editors Choice' Award with a '10' rating.

It states it has a 1/8" drive (bit size), and I calipered a couple of the bit shanks yesterday - they come in at ~2.9mm. I plan to grind the back end of a couple of the bits to shave them down to the 2.5mm size to fit the 3mm Socket Hd screws, so I can use the driver to quickly install (& remove) the P2K's wing at the airfield.

I quickly came to just LOVE this little tool for the work-saving, its handiness and utiity so much I wanted to share its availability -- and heartily recommend it as a practical 'must have' for us hobbyists! It's the UltraTECH Model 500 Cordless Precision Screwdriver, & below (picture) is the package to look for.

And least it be asked or thought, I have no connection to this product nor its distributer, other than as a very satisfied customer! And for only 10 bucks - DOUBLE satisfied!

You know how it seems every time you find a product you really like, when you want another they have been replaced, obsoleted, company's out of business, no longer made, or otherwise departed this world? Monday I went back a bought a couple more of these li'l jewels -- like it that much!
Merry Christmas!
~S*H
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2011, 02:37 PM
Reap the wild wind
Bristol,UK
Joined Feb 2007
4,228 Posts
Nice find. This looks like the same one or very similar http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1707366689...ht_1484wt_1185
Just bought one for my flight bag. I mainly use a lithium ion screwdriver in my workshop and find it's also great for drilling using one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-1-4-He...6#ht_500wt_969. The " Cordless Precision Screwdriver" would be even better in those tight spots e.g opening up control horns especially if you use these hex drill bits http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/13PC-HSS-M...#ht_1801wt_952
Just a quick top for you when faced with a long thread. Click on "thread tools","Show attachments..."This is a really quick way to review posted pictures etc and by clicking on the picture and the "post" in brackets it will take you to the text linked to that picture. This is how I quickly found the vented spinner.
Andy
headlessagain is online now Find More Posts by headlessagain
Old Dec 02, 2011, 03:01 PM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
[QUOTE=Fugitive_Bill;20028760
SkyHawk: What's up with the Orange on your tailplane then?

B![/QUOTE]

All my glider have a orange tail, helps with orientation

ST Model Fox .

Multiplex Blizzard .

Parkzone Radian .

Ran out of orange when I had the Pheonix

Sean .