Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:31 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
That was my first thought too!

Also it would it not take much of a counter-weight on the underside of the opposite wing tip to balance it out?

B!
I would think puting 150g/5oz on each side of the wing , just over 10oz total...
never mind the drag , , , , It would snap .

28g = 1oz..

skyhawk newbie is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk newbie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk newbie View Post
I would think puting 150g/5oz on each side of the wing , just over 10oz total...
never mind the drag , , , , It would snap .

28g = 1oz..

I think it could handle it. If you put 5 oz 1/5 of the way out on one wing, you would only need 1 oz at the tip of the other wing to balance. Some wing reinforcements would probably help, but I bet it could fly.

Speaking of wings, has anyone overloaded their wing in flight yet? (too fast, too hard of a dive pull out, too much cargo, etc) it seems like a pretty strong wing, but I did notice that the inboard and outboard reinforcements (square tube and imbedded plywood) don't overlap where they meet. It happens to be right at the hole for the aileron servo, creating a significant weak spot in the wing. I added a CF tube acros that area and then extensively fiber taped the wing. (several strips top and bottom, plus leading and trailing edges) I probably overdid it, but I'm going for durability, and I'm not interested in thermaling so it needn't be super light. (in fact I fly in fairly windy areas, so I like to think of it as "structural ballast")
invenext is offline Find More Posts by invenext
Last edited by invenext; Nov 21, 2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: SYNTAX ERROR
Old Nov 21, 2011, 05:54 PM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,708 Posts
An extra 300g would certainly hinder performance, but for what it's worth my guess is that the wing would be just fine. Forces on the wing during tight loops would exceed 150g-per-side, probably several times over, and yet the Phoenix doesn't have any documented tendencies to "clap hands".
H2SO4 is offline Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:53 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Aug 2011
44 Posts
On my first flight (of any RC pane) I lost eye contact with the plane at about 200m and only picked it up about 15m off the ground. I yanked the elevator back and it levelled out and whooshed by overhead with the wings bent up into a "U" shape. I was amazed they didn't break.

I've also had to do minor repairs to the wing roots after prangs and been attacked twice by eagles. They're pretty tough. The only thing that busted a wing was this, and it wasn't the fault of the plane:

Phoenix 2000 Crash 281011 (2 min 31 sec)
Ken_Jungles is offline Find More Posts by Ken_Jungles
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:41 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
I ordered a Phoenix 2000 this past weekend, & this will be my first a/c with a folding prop.
2 questions:
What numbers are pertinent to ordering a replacement for the stock prop unit - preferably one available in the USA? And has a better performing prop been established which won't harm the stock motor/ESC setup?
TIA!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:11 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
806 Posts
Can anyone tell me what's the screws specs used to mount the wings to the fuselage?

thanks
HF_ATL is online now Find More Posts by HF_ATL
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:27 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hf_atl View Post
can anyone tell me what's the screws specs used to mount the wings to the fuselage?

Thanks
m3 . . .
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:40 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
806 Posts
thanks for the quick reply... and about the length?

Quote:
m3 . . .
Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:43 AM
Not a newbie anymore..
Ireland, Cork
Joined Oct 2010
2,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF_ATL View Post
thanks for the quick reply... and about the length?
M3x 20mm front and 30mm rear . . Allen head screws/bolts are best..

Old Nov 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
Portugal
Joined Nov 2009
806 Posts
Many thanks skyhawk!

Quote:
M3x 20mm front and 30mm rear . . Allen head screws/bolts are best..

Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:17 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
Quote:
When I bought my Phoenix it was ARF , so no motor / ESC / Servos...
But I did get a Prop and spinner , the prop size is 10 x 5 or 6...
But as I bought the Turnigy 2836 1000 kv ( rated @ 300watts) , ...
I'm in process of reading thru all the posts in this thread (doing my homework *LOL*) to learn all I can of the P2K before mine arrives. I'm a bit confused about the motor situation, so jumping ahead here to ask.

The first specs I saw (in an ad or, elsewhere) I saw the stock motor spec'd as a 950Kv. Early on in this thread I started seeing many references to this 2836-1000 Kv that seems to be the de facto upgrade for a bit more power and cooler running setup, and that made sense, didn't give it a 2d thought.

However, since then (and in the HK Review on YouTube) I'm now seeing the stock motor is a 1050Kv. Did the factory re-spec to a higher Kv motor or something? And what has me confused - this would seem to make the 2836-1000 a bit of a downgrade. I'd already put one on my Wish List at HK; now wondering if I should reconsider. Could someone please enlighten me?
Thanx!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2011, 08:08 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,170 Posts
These are the replacements (upper 8 bolts)) I bought from the LHS because I hated the stock Philips head ones (lower 4 bolts)
I can't even remember why I wanted Hex head ones over Philips head now.

What do need to do is buy a new little electric screw driver (the Ni-cads in the old one died long ago) with Hex key bits to spin the bolts in and out, because that's the job I hate the most when arriving/leaving the field is bolting/unbolting all the planes together by hand! - Though I could always take a drill.

-B!

(PS: Good question StarHopper! - I'd like exact specs on the stock motor too. All I could supply was measurements both physical and with the Watts-Up Meter)

EDIT: PPS: Oh man, I mucked around for few hours b4 replying about the wing bolt question and by the time I got around to posting it, everyone in thread had done the same thing/answered it!!
Fugitive_Bill is online now Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:58 PM
Fighting Gravity
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jan 2011
551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I'm in process of reading thru all the posts in this thread (doing my homework *LOL*) to learn all I can of the P2K before mine arrives. I'm a bit confused about the motor situation, so jumping ahead here to ask.

The first specs I saw (in an ad or, elsewhere) I saw the stock motor spec'd as a 950Kv. Early on in this thread I started seeing many references to this 2836-1000 Kv that seems to be the de facto upgrade for a bit more power and cooler running setup, and that made sense, didn't give it a 2d thought.

However, since then (and in the HK Review on YouTube) I'm now seeing the stock motor is a 1050Kv. Did the factory re-spec to a higher Kv motor or something? And what has me confused - this would seem to make the 2836-1000 a bit of a downgrade. I'd already put one on my Wish List at HK; now wondering if I should reconsider. Could someone please enlighten me?
Thanx!
Have had my Phoenix for 2 weeks now so will give you my experience!

Have flown stock Motor/ESC/prop(8 flights) : It performs well though Motor/ESC does get warm/hot and throttle management is needed.

Have now changed motor/ESC/prop to:
TURNIGY AerodriveXp SK-3530-1100kv / 335W - (About 14g heavier than stock)
TURNIGY Plush 40AMP ESC - (About 20g heavier than stock)
Jet 40mm Spinnner with Aero-naut 10x6 folding prop. - (Same weight as stock)
With a 1300mAH battery set to rear of battery tray it balances well.
I am using flaperons only and can land in a reasonably tight area.

This new setup(2 flights) gives similar power to stock but is MUCH smoother and is only running at about 220w so plenty of scope to increase prop/power(eg 10x8).

The motor comes in cool.

Hope this help you!
bonnie9496 is offline Find More Posts by bonnie9496
Last edited by bonnie9496; Nov 25, 2011 at 01:42 AM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 25, 2011, 04:10 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
I ordered a Phoenix 2000 this past weekend, & this will be my first a/c with a folding prop.
2 questions:
What numbers are pertinent to ordering a replacement for the stock prop unit - preferably one available in the USA? And has a better performing prop been established which won't harm the stock motor/ESC setup?
TIA!
Got no response to the above ?'s but nevermind, as I came across a post by Jackerbes that, between it and other things I've learned have pretty much answered those questions for me. In fact, I can add a bit to one thing he said in: "If you have a folder on there now, the width of the blades where they fit into the yoke is the "shoulder" or "hub" width. Shoulders come in 3mm, 5mm, 6mm, and 8mm on Graupner blades. All Aeronaut folding prop blades have 8mm shoulders. And there are other blades and in various widths.
So, if what you have uses 8mm you can use Aeronaut blades. If you have another width you can look for a Graupner or another brand in the shoulder width that will let you use your existing yoke."

My addition being, I found one (at least) vendor who includes 1mm spacer washers with their hubs and informs it's so either 8mm or 6mm-shouldered props can be used in their 8mm hubs....so that's a 'trick' that can be kept in mind when it comes to finding available rigs - noting many vendors tend to be perenially out of stock on this stuff.

One question that remains for me - from my readings here I see the P2K uses a 40mm spinner. I've noted most domestic (USA) sellers cite 1.5" sizes. The 40mm translates to 1.575" and though the question almost answers itself I wanted to make double sure - is this 'close enough' to use?

And finally one note to add - this might be common knowledge but I'm up to page 11 (halfway thru) and haven't yet seen anything other'n one member who 'made his own'....but there's a spinner available that is 'open tipped' so cooling air can pass thru. Seeing as how motor heat is endemic to the P2K I'm going for one of those. If its availability is not common knowledge and anyone's likewise interested, I'll post the vendor info.

My P2K has arrived, and I'm like a kid in a candy store right now! Looking to have 'er up on Sunday at our club meet, & of course that means using the supplied bits (save for clevis changes I'll absolutely make) so.....everybody pray for me! *LOL* For Thanksgiving, I gave thanks there's no rain in the forecast but watch that change, or 50-knot winds to blow in Sunday morning. It ain't like Ma Nature to let a man enjoy his new toys w/o some sort of time in the penalty box! It just ain't natural!!

Oh and....THANX Jack for your informative post on the tractor info!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:09 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
Joined Jun 2011
5,563 Posts
BTW - what does the term 'CAM' refer to on the Graupner, et al, folding props?
RCG Plus Member